Oak bedroom suite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promhandicam

Established Member
Reaction score
After all sorts of problems and delays I have finally managed to get this job finished. In addition to what I designed the customer added an extra cupboard which is 1150mm wide and has fixed shelving - 4th and 5th picture. I think in all that it has taken me about twice as long as I had originally thought not least because I cocked up one of the doors by drilling the holes for the hinges in the wrong side :roll: I also ended up making the drawer boxes with dominos (the new 4mm ones) as I just couldn't work out how to make them using my trend dt jig and also use the blum tandem runners. Has anyone found a way to do this? With thanks to Matty for the idea on how to do the detailing on the doors and drawer fronts (from his Alter thread. Not sure I would do it again for such a big job - 8off 2.4m tall doors and 13off drawer fronts :eek: Hopefully when the room is decorated and new carpets fitted I'll be able to get some better photos done.

wardrobe1.jpg

wardrobe2.jpg

wardrobe3.jpg

wardrobe4.jpg

wardrobe5.jpg

wardrobe6.jpg

Finish on the outside is 2 coats of osmo quick drying satin and inside of everything one coat of acrylic varnish to seal the wood. Doors have push to open catches and sprung open hinges from hafele and the drawers are on blum tandem runners with tip on. The top three drawers are all divided into three. Two of the doors have had mirrors stuck into the rebates which works reasonably well although the sprung hinges only open to 95 degrees - they'd be better if they opened a bit more.

The customers are very happy and now I move on to the next bedroom! - thankfully somewhat smaller than this one!

Thanks for looking!

Steve

Thanks all for your comments - yes the customer is very pleased. Regarding the sheet material, carcases are from 19mm Crown Cut oak veneered mdf with the same on the backs of the wardrobes. The drawer bottoms are 6mm Oak veneered ply which was also used on the backs of the drawer units. The panels of the doors and drawer fronts are 9mm Crown Cut oak veneered mdf which I prefer to 6mm as it gives a bit more rigidity especially for the full height doors. The solid is all American White Oak which is the last time I will be using it for furniture due to quality issues - in future I will use Euro Oak.

The decision to go for the 'clean line' look i.e. no handles, was so that it didn't look like the new oak kitchen that another company are in the process of installing :D

Steve

Latest posts

Back