Oak beam table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattty

Established Member
Reaction score
I got commisioned a good while ago to make a rustic coffee table from an old Oak beam. It was to be quite rustic with a crisp carved bowl in the centre as a bit if contrast.
Anyway first time around i'd carved the bowl and found a big hole hidden in the middle. So i started again and made them the table-Job done.

I kept the damaged top kicking round for a few months, being moved around the workshop daily as it always got in the way. I tripped over it again on Tuesday and decided to finish it and knock a quick table frame up.

This is the result-
DSCF2641.JPG

DSCF2645.JPG

DSCF2639.JPG

The offending hole-
DSCF2638.JPG

Yes, yes yes, Matty! I like this. Chunky and rustic and a bit different.........The bowl is a great idea. Can't you do a Dutchman to remove that hole?

If I had one comment it would be that stopping the chamfers an inch or two further up from the feet might have looked a bit better, but, overall, I really like this.

You aren't looking any better yet Matty.......

Mike

Mike Garnham":2ewh76hx said:
Yes, yes yes, Matty! I like this. Chunky and rustic and a bit different.........The bowl is a great idea. Can't you do a Dutchman to remove that hole?

If I had one comment it would be that stopping the chamfers an inch or two further up from the feet might have looked a bit better, but, overall, I really like this.

You aren't looking any better yet Matty.......

Mike

I could have patched it Mike and i considered resin and other solutions, in the end i decided i liked the honest approach of leaving it.

The under frame is awful mate, truly wrong, it was firstly rushed and secondly i'll conceived.
Within a few months my kids will have no doubt had their feet, cars, action men and colourings all over it and so certainly it is good in that at least i won't be precious about it.

No, it's not Matty. It is really appropriate for this style of furniture. The bottom of the stop chamfers are the only issue (I always look for at least a square at the bottom...ie the chamfer should start at least the width of the leg up the leg, if you follow).

My god you're ugly.

Mike

Alan Peters made a gorgeous table with a carved bowl in it with a fluted finish on the inside, it was on the cover of British Woodworking a few issues ago. I'd love to make one, but I know that I don't have the skills to carry it off as I'd like.

Cheers

Aled

Edit : just found a pic of it.

alan_peters_1513457f.jpg

Really like this Mattty.

I have been thinking of doing a similar thing since I saw the Alan Peters one in BW (as shown by Aled). Guess I need to find a way to make it differently now you have beaten me to it! ;)

Nice work.

hi mattty

nothing wrong with the framework design it's ok for that stye of furniture except the chamfers , pity about the knot though , absolutely love the wild grain and colours in the top, lovely, the bowl is a really nice touch .

As for being ugly don't know which is worse your face or what appears to be coming from the dung beetle a**se :lol: :lol: sorry guys couldn't resist .hc :wink:

i dont comment often on other peoples work but this time i have to

LOVE IT

for a rustic table i think its one off the best i've seen, think the bowl is a really nice touch

Thanks for the comments folks.
I am definately my own worst critic. I really like the bowl idea which is why i posted in the first place. The frame is at best sturdy, but in truth a bit ugly- it doesn't matter though as i said it will be fine for my lounge for now until the kids grow up a little, and then i'll have something more refined.

Aled,

The 'AP' carved bowl table came to mind straight away. I know where my copy of the book is, but until my knee has healed, I can't surmount the loft ladder!

So thanks for the pic.
John

Aled Dafis":qlxvhbqm said:
Alan Peters made a gorgeous table with a carved bowl in it with a fluted finish on the inside, it was on the cover of British Woodworking a few issues ago. I'd love to make one, but I know that I don't have the skills to carry it off as I'd like.

Cheers

Aled

Edit : just found a pic of it.

alan_peters_1513457f.jpg

One day, that sort of thing will be taken off my 'tuit' list. Trouble is, it's been on there for about the last 20 years :cry:
Not difficult to do, but requires a lot of precision with the gouge - Rob

Another nice piece, Matt. Not sure how I missed this one before now! :oops:

I can understand Mike's view and I'm inclined to agree. It's something I learned when I used to make garden gates... I don't think I would've tried to patch that knot, either. Although, I probably would've used another piece, if there was more! With something like this, you've already got something which stands out. Anything you try to do to hide it is probably going to have the opposite effect - at least, this way, it looks natural. :)

Back