Now I have really done it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes fair bit of pain nerve type , still a bit sore I knocked it the other day the pain was out of this world but not as bad as I thought it would be .
It is nice how many people are sympathetic in stead of stating the obvious
thanks for all kind words
phil

pip1954":9mpg0wgr said:
It is nice how many people are sympathetic in stead of stating the obvious

phil

There, but for the grace of God. etc etc..

I see they've even fitted a push stick eyelet connecting hook for you :mrgreen:

Get well soon lad.

pip1954,

Looking good, it will take some time to get back to normal. I removed the first 1/3rd of my right index finger, many years ago, and have full use of it today. Wishing you all the best on your recovery. Jamey

I read a US medical article some years ago, an American surgeon was being interviewed regarding the injuries he had to operate on most often. His response was that of amputation from woodworking incidents on the table saw. He stated he had never operated on anyone operating a wood working machine with a guard in place.

Ouch! They way have an awful football team, but this is a good hospital to be in for this kind of accident (my dad has been there a couple of times). Get well soon!

Hi all
just thought i would give a quick update well thumb doing well but numb on end , middle finger nearly there but still numb on end ,index finger just starting to heal pins out today I can move it a small amount but got a long way to go, the surgeon said the tip will not bend and if it gives a lot of pain he will fuse it. Still open sore on it and a lot of swelling having a job to move it much but they said it will get better when swelling goes down this time have been told to gentle move it then back next week then the week after go back and see surgeon to see how well he thinks finger is doing .
Once again many thanks for all positive reply
Phil
U

Hi all
Well it has been awhile so I thought I would update how my hand has turned out ,its been an interesting time there were things I had not realiased quite how much I had done to my finger, I took a lot of fleash of the side which in it self did not mean much but with that I took a lump out of the knuckle and also destroyed the tendon down the side which has the effect of making it wobbly as it is unstable and hurts like he'll when you catch it ,well here are some pictures to show results
Thanks for all replies .

Attachments

• 2015-10-27 15.23.51-640x480.jpg
    2015-10-27 15.23.51-640x480.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 2015-10-27 15.21.34-480x640.jpg
    2015-10-27 15.21.34-480x640.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 2015-10-27 15.19.39-480x640.jpg
    2015-10-27 15.19.39-480x640.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 90
  • 2015-10-27 15.21.11-480x640.jpg
    2015-10-27 15.21.11-480x640.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 90
Looks a lot better than it did. I'm still not sure how you did it other than it was caused by kick back. I know people we're pretty righteous and kept saying push sticks but do you have any advice for us? I'm keen not to inflict myself on the poor NHS if possible! :)

If t was kick back did that mean you didn't have a riving knife? What about a blade guard? Just keen to know so I can learn lessons the easier way!

Does it affect your daily life or is it pretty much back to normal?

Best wishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi disco
Yes kick back no guard totally my own fault ,yes it does affect me on daily bases in winter it is cold when I did it I cut the blood supply on index finger ,quite numb a lot of time and index finger is weak and wobbly
It is like people machines don't hurt people do.
Like always if you could turn time back you would not do it (hammer)
My own stupidity :oops:
Pip

I'm Glad to hear you're all but "mended" now, you must have been off work for some time, too!
I do hope you haven't been put off woodwork at all, and perhaps gripping and doing what you can my be good therapy.
In the workshop.
All the best, Regards Rodders

eek.

I've had my table saw for about 3 weeks now and threads like this are a healthy way to scare me into respecting it.

I've been looking at a lot of youtube and finewoodworking tutorials and most are American. Many don't have guards or riving knifes due to the jobs they're doing...dados and rebates etc (or rabbets...)

I'm ignoring these tutorials...the horror stories about what could happen if you remove the guard and riving knife are enough to make me want to use my router instead.

I've been cutting a lot of plywood on it as I'm building some stands for the workshop...

Still scared of my table saw. Perhaps I should just go back to fishing.

Back