nova lathe vacuum adaptor SUCCESS! WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WoodMonkey,

That is simply awesome, (the chuck, not your crotch, though that looks rather lovely, too!!).

Was the bearing exactly the one I linked to, or did you get a different one?

And how big is the faceplate you used?, as I don't have one, so need to get one.

Thanks in advance.

I'm going for cherry for the wood.

Greg

Hey Greg
Yes it was the exact one you linked to. The faceplate is a smallish one about 4 or 5 inches I think. And no, not cherry!

That's great. I'll whip out the credit card and get ordering. I'm quite excited about the idea of being able to start finishing my bottoms, (ooh err, missus), properly...

Can I have another go - Birch?

I am glad to see that that worked for you. I wouldn't have thought of using 20 mm. tube since I was under the impression that the shoulder around the 20 mm. section would be required to seat the bearing square to the length of the tube. Did you have to do anything special to keep the tube straight as it went in or did it self-align?

Good job!

My first thought when I looked at the wood was elm. :)

Bob

Sorry for the delay - when I tried the Nova adapter it was with my Camvac dust extractor which I think is basically a large vacuum cleaner. Can't remember what the problem was exactly but it didn't work well. Also, the Camvac is loud so using it for a vacuum chuck for any length of time would be annoying - sometimes I use the vacuum chucks for more than just turning away chucking points. And if using it for a vacuum chuck I wouldn't be able to use it for dust extraction.

I had a look for my Nova adapter but couldn't find it. When I have time I'll take some photos of the handwheel one which I used with a vacuum pump

Hi, Duncan:
I am not familiar with Camvac dust extractors, but if they are anything like my dust extractor there is a considerable difference between that and a shop vac type vacuum cleaner. I wanted to use vacuum clamping to hold a template to some parts I was pattern routing many years ago and thought my 2 hp. 1100 cfm dust extractor would work better than my shop vac for the task. As it turned out the dust extractor did not develop hardly any "grip" on the workpieces and the shop vac held them very well indeed. My dust extractor is basically just a cetrifugal blower (air mover) and does not develop much in the way of static pressure.

Take care
Bob

Latest posts

Back