Notice Board help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spannermonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I have been asked (Volunteered) to build a notice board for our Allotment association, It needs to have perspex or glass doors with a lock and be hardwearing.

MTA

SM.

You also want to ventilate it, it doesnt need much four 20mm holes either end, one at the top and one at the bottom is sufficent, I had to do one a few years back, if I find the photo I will post it.

Hi spanner monkey,

I too was volunteered to build two of these for my sons school, i have since made one for a local park. I put them in 2008 and they still look great
These things got heavy and you will need transport to get them to site. I still have my sketchup drawings if you think it will help you

Tom

Untitled by octanegeek, on Flickr

Polycarbonate sheet (not perspex) is pretty vandal resistant. Often goes under the trade name of Makrolon.

hth

Bob

9fingers":23wgj7u9 said:
Polycarbonate sheet (not perspex) is pretty vandal resistant. Often goes under the trade name of Makrolon.

hth

Bob

Depending on the size, you probably need 6mm thk sheet and make sure you install it the correct side out as it can degrade & yellow 'cos only one side is normally UV stabilised.

Additionally, as its strength is its flexibility, you would be advised to give it a deeper rebate than you would with glass and seal it preferably with a flexible silicone specified for polycarbonate if possible.
The standard demo test in the old days was to fix a 4 x 4 sheet of 6mm into a frame then give the punters a sledgehammer and watch them sweat :lol: :wink:

The only downside is that whilst the little horrors haven't a hope in hell of breaking it, if they get frustrated, it's easy to scratch and carve names into. We used to supply the panels for bus shelters and I was once called out to see one where they tried everything before eventually taking a gas blowtorch to it - managed to burn a hole but the poly melted around it and they couldn't get the torch back out. wish I'd taken a photo :lol:

Bob

Latest posts

Back