Note to self; stop buying big things!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingAether

Eternal noob
Reaction score
Anyone else have eyes bigger than their shed or is this just a me issue? šŸ˜‚ Picked up a union graduate today and its not till you get home you think about where it goes..
Sometimes the price is just to good to say no; the only kind of price i can afford for a hobby! Building something bigger isn't an option currently but im good at tetris, im sure i can make this work šŸ˜¬
Ideally i would re-lay the floor and put castors on everything but i dont have anywhere to store it all for 2-4 weeks yet.. Fingers crossed in the spring we will finish the lean-to floor and i can use that but for now i do what i can and what i can't do, i do outside on a tabletop
147677420_749764022640301_4855816498266836817_n.jpg148702998_800430894018394_3079389082169168224_n.jpg148093693_251144913402969_3564918198118004266_n.jpg145349818_212402757241070_6615875677957514368_n.jpg

Great lathe well worth making room for (y)

I once did a job the payment for which was a bandsaw which I hadnā€™t seen but was told was in excellent condition.
On completing the job I went to collect my payment, the bandsaw turned out to be a Wadkin BZB it was so big I couldnā€™t shut the back doors on my van & so heavy the van was on its limit stops.
I never did get it in my workshop it was just to big & I ended up giving it to a friend on the condition he fetched it as I wasnā€™t struggling to move it again on my own.

I would say neither of those would fit in my shop at all but im currently debating getting a Startrite 14-s-10 to put next to the 325 šŸ¤«

I think a lot of us suffer from trying to cram too much stuff in the shed. Bargins are hard to resist as you say. Wheels on everything is a good help. Perhaps why box making is so popular as theres no space to make anything bigger.
Regards
John

Yeah, space is always the issue. I picked up a old Record Power BK3 MKII bandsaw and Iā€™m struggling to find a place for it in my little corner of the garage. Itā€™s currently sat on my make shift work table which one day will be replaced with a proper bench. Once I have space to store the wood and build it šŸ˜©

I have a large workshop and a small workshop, neither is EVER large enough. The large workshop has a rough concrete floor and a lot of my stuff is mounted on casters and they donā€™t run very well on the rough floor. This year Iā€™m getting a builder friend to lay a 3-4ā€ screed, while thatā€™s happening Iā€™m buying a large tarp and putting all my stuff outside till the floor has ā€œgone offā€, otherwise Iā€™ll never round to it. Itā€™s one of those jobs I should have done at the start and have just kept putting off.

I did this a few years ago, I would recomend getting a gazebo with sides, it is amazing how much you can pack in. Also get some rust preventative spray especially under a tarp, condesation is a killer even in the summer months

I think a good sort out goes a long way....

Getting rid of car / plumbing / electrical stuff would go a long way in my garage.

Then I plan to insulate and board the concrete floor, walls and ceiling.

Finally bring it all back into a much more useful space....

2030 and he still hasn't done it!!!

Cheers James

A Union Graduate setup as a bowl turning lathe only (without the long bed) is a usable lathe and takes up very little floor space.

I used to teach and several times had to borrow the schools 2,500kg rated pallet truck to move machinery down to my home workshop. This would just about fit in back of my VW Touran.
The last thing I moved by myself was a Sedgwick MB, probably about 400kg. I had to move it up an 8m gravel driveway, through a garage, down the side of the house, up a 250 lift across decking, down a 300mm drop, and then 30m more of gravel and grass. Took me 2hrs. Never again. When it came to sell it I got the missus to give me a hand, and move the slightly lighter 12" Startite to replace it.
She also helped me empty that same 8x5m workshop of machinery a few years later when we moved house. After 38 years of marriage she has never let me down.

Colin

Feel your pain. I picked up a wadkin sliding table saw yesterday and its curently under a tarp at work until I can work out the logistics of getting it into my workshop! Nice step up though from my old one. You'll enjoy the graduate, they're a good lathe.

Latest posts

Back