Not woodworky, but first time in the garden....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Greetings folks,
Whilst playing with my boys in the house today, we noticed this chap scoffing nuts in the garden. Not the greatest photo, but Im rather chuffed with the visitor :)

squiiiiirel.jpg

That is all :)

Adam

Attachments

• squiiiiirel.jpg
    squiiiiirel.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,153
It's great to see a red rather than one of those nasty grey rats. We're infested by the greys in Edinburgh now, damn things wrecked a years worth of veggie growing last year :x

Nice one Adam and the best thing is now they know where the nuts are they will be back!
Brian

apparently, though untried by myself, I understand grey's taste pretty good barbequed! So, along with the Signal Crayfish, what a delicious way to cull the unwanted interloping Americans :)

Random Orbital Bob":3pgi324v said:
apparently, though untried by myself, I understand grey's taste pretty good barbequed! So, along with the Signal Crayfish, what a delicious way to cull the unwanted interloping Americans :)

Beware: May Contain Nuts.

I'll get my coat....

I trap along the River Lea for signals. Very tasty if a bit of a hassle to prepare.
Nice to see Adam.

Random Orbital Bob":31y2dned said:

I can verify that they do indeed BBQ quite nicely. I was out about three weeks ago with my lad on some private woodland and we bagged 18 of the critters with Air Rifles. If you can be bothered there's a reasonable amount of meat on them. 18 were enough for us two and four other hungry teenagers.

Our current record is six reds in the garden at one time. I do surveys for the Saving Scotland's red squirrels project and delighted to say we seem to be winning the war round Aberdeen. Helped, it seems by the recovery in pine marten numbers. According to research from Ireland, they selectively predate on the greys. There is at least one Marten has been seen in one of the city parks.

No red squirrels in my immediate area, sadly, but a surfeit of grey ones.
I`m looking for a way to feed the birds without providing easy pickings for those pesky greys. All my most elaborate security measures so far have been breached in the blink of an eye.

Lucky lad Adam, keep feeding it and he'll bring his mates along as well.
I`m looking for a way to feed the birds without providing easy pickings for those pesky greys. All my most elaborate security measures so far have been breached in the blink of an eye.
Buy an air rifle, they soon learn to look for less dangerous pickings.
There is at least one Marten has been seen in one of the city parks.
Can I borrow a couple please?

Our area was a haven for reds until a few years ago and in fact up to 3 years ago I could guarantee I'd see several during a round of golf at the course a mile from here but not a single one left now and they've trapped over 100 greys so far this year. Apparently it will take years to trap them all, if they ever can and then many years before the reds will re populate.
Haven't seen one in my own garden now for 4 years :evil:

Bob

That's interesting about the martens - apparently we have quite a few in the area also. And the squirrel has been back, and I think trying to munch through the wire on the peanut feeder. Perhaps leaving a fence mounted tray might be an idea?
Lovely to watch whilst sharpening up some irons, though does make the work go slower :)

Thanks all,
Adam

Back