Norton flattening stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironballs

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say what a nice bit of kit. Bought from Rutlands fairly recently and took it to my 800 and 1200 waterstones last night, made short work of the irregularities and they back to flat in no time.

Even the 800 which had somehow attained the profile of a glaciated valley. Don't know how that had happened :oops:

My 6000 stone is still pretty flat, before I take it to the Norton, is it okay to do so or is it best used on the coarser stones only?

I use it on all my stones after every session.

If done little and often it takes no time at all, a few wipes on each, and avoids the hollowing of stones and the risk of ruining the backs of your chisels without realising it.

The higher grit stones are obviously harder and so don't hollow so quickly or easily, but then it just means they take even less attention to keep them flat.

Better maintaining the flatness I guess is the way I look at it, rather than leaving them to become irregular and then restoring them is what I'm trying to say in a roundabout fashion :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

DuncanvdH":1bjc7ko3 said:
I have the flattening stone too.
Unfortunately, it does not stay flat itself. :(
So you have to periodically flatten the flattening stone itself..

Do not use it on the norton 220 grit stone - it eats the flattening plate.

Personally, extremely unhappy with this piece of kit.

The 1000 grit Norton stone seems to glaze it very quickly and it needs constant reflattening. Ours were not flat on arrival either.

I would sooner flatten the individual stones.

David Charlesworth

Latest posts

Back