Norris smoother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent! - I think you've effectively rescued that plane for another generation or two of productive use. I know it's a personal thing, but I think the stain and oil finish that you have used looks better than the opaque varnish that Norris used - and a hundred times better than the bleached, dry state it had got into.

I totally agree Andy...

The fake rosewood look of later models was a solution at the time but most woods can be made to look much more like rosewood with this technique and you have nailed just the right of colour and silky finish twothumbs!

A definite improvement on the neglected original and spot on when restored. A superb job indeed!

Jim

Thanks for the measurements and the photos of the workings TT. Looks like a jolly good job there.

How is it cutting now?

Richard T- I did a bit more rubbing up of the back of the iron and a sharpen up agian. It is much better but the adjuster will take a bit of practise. Still like my no 5 and its not one of the more admired ones either........heathen really. I do liek te weight of the Norris. Much easier to handle. I'm getting concertina shavings so need to do something to it. Open up the mouith or set the cap back a bit. Not sure. Do you know the answer please? Best wishes to you all and happy sharpening in 2013.

concertina shavings ... I had a footprint that did that once.

I don't think opening the mouth with a file is a good idea - it is supposed to have a squeak of a mouth. If the shaving is coming through the mouth in order to concertina; it is coming through. It is something to do with how it escapes above the mouth.
Don't forget it is a dedicated smoother and as such only designed to take the thinnest cuts. So set it to a gnat's whisker.

If you get it properly razor sharp then take a slow pass and try to see where it is impeded as it emerges. Try it with the cap iron in different positions; right back and right forward - see if there is any difference in shaving behaviour. If it is still crunching up no matter where the cap iron is set, it's something else and we can take it from there.

Back