NordVPN...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody else using it?
Or, at least, trying to use it?!
Is it the most irritating program you've used in years?!
Slow...one day it works, the next not.
I've just spent the last half-hour trying to connect, failed, and then had to use Task Manager to get out of it!

They got hacked last year, customer details went into the wild, IMO on the security front they are not very tightly wrapped.You want a VPN for North America , rent some cheap server space there ( VPS or multi-site ) and run your own for your own personal use.

I tend you (try) using it 'via' Japan or Estonia, as you can download youtube videos from those countries.
One of the most (currently) irritating things is the delay actioning any button press - 10 seconds before anything happens? In the past I've even uninstalled/reinstalled to try and solve the problems. It also zaps my normal internet access router connection, forcing me to reboot my laptop in order to connect at all.

Here we go again...

nord2.JPG

Anybody else using it?
Or, at least, trying to use it?!
Is it the most irritating program you've used in years?!
Slow...one day it works, the next not.
I've just spent the last half-hour trying to connect, failed, and then had to use Task Manager to get out of it!
I tend not to put a VPN "app" on a laptop but use a Mango V2 pocket router, put the VPN on that - it's what it's built for - and just connect my laptop to that. Never any issues.

They're (or were) around £20.

Have you tried using youtube-dl
It isn't a VPN , but can get at some youtube media that can't be downloaded by other means.
Or a browser add on called savefrom.net it also exists as website , some youtube media cannot be downloaded in all formats, some is restricted to download in smaller definition than youtube will allow you to stream.You can also load streaming URLs into VLC player and then copy the stream to "local"

I tend not to put a VPN "app" on a laptop but use a Mango V2 pocket router, put the VPN on that - it's what it's built for - and just connect my laptop to that. Never any issues.

They're (or were) around £20.

Interesting.
Thank you.

Have you tried using youtube-dl
It isn't a VPN , but can get at some youtube media that can't be downloaded by other means.
Or a browser add on called savefrom.net it also exists as website , some youtube media cannot be downloaded in all formats, some is restricted to download in smaller definition than youtube will allow you to stream.You can also load streaming URLs into VLC player and then copy the stream to "local"

Yes, I use savefrom, but use the ss prefix rather than have it installed.
The only 'problem' I've come across is for the occasional 360 video, but 720s are generally fine.

Ditched NordVPN last year, now use SurfShark, which is cheaper. With any VPN you can get "issues". This may be while browsing the BBC site, purchasing online products or tickets or registering on a particular site. NordVPN was certainly much easier to use than Surfshark and to be quite honest I wish I had not switched, but I've paid up front for 24 months so I'll just have to grin and bear it

Ditched NordVPN last year, now use SurfShark, which is cheaper. With any VPN you can get "issues". This may be while browsing the BBC site, purchasing online products or tickets or registering on a particular site. NordVPN was certainly much easier to use than Surfshark and to be quite honest I wish I had not switched, but I've paid up front for 24 months so I'll just have to grin and bear it

Yes, I did the same with Nord, a 2 year deal. It seems every time they 'improve' it with an update, it screws my system. I had the misfortune to have to contact their 'help desk' last autumn, and whilst they did eventually solve the problem, as a result I can't access my network/internet settings - it warns of a buffer overrun. I've tried every 'solution' posted found on the 'net, run anti-virus stuff, you name it - enjoy. I've spent hours on it, overall. Think the only solution left is to restore Win10....but I've been there before with another PC, and know all about 'your data and app's will be safe'! :rolleyes:

I have been using nord for a few years, sounds like i have been fortunate, not had a problem with it

I use ExpressVPN. They use dynamic IP shifting in China which is one of my regular destinations. I’ve used them for years and they have been excellent. I was using it from the US last week.

I have Nord VPN on multiple devices and on a flashed high end router connected as a secondary in the house.

It occasionally causes issues on my laptops and PC but easily resolved.

Its never caused any issues running on the router, it uses UK based servers unless I go in and change the settings. If I need to use foreign servers I tend to connect to the primary router and use the VPN as installed on the device.

I think most of the problems are conflicts with other software or op systems. I have been advised that when running on routers VPNs tend to be very stable.

I have windscribe, free to use in a handful of countries, pay for others, which I assume is where they get the money. I wanted to have a VPN near but not in Ukraine for some reason. 🇺🇦

Been using ProtonVPN for our "TV box" - it's been running faultlessly for over 6 months and it's free. The Free tier has less Points of Presence than the paid tier, but it doesn't bother me.

I don't use any of the apps etc - just the certs installed and using OpenVPN client.

Back