No response from Tuff Saws ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skronk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ordered BS12 bandsaw at the weekend and wanted to fit best blade possible as I know nothing about bandsaws !

However, I can get no response to my questions from Tuff Saws.

Are they still trading ?

Regards

Can I ask what other quality blade suppliers are there ? I would rather fit quality blade to machine when it arrives as "in house" blades seem to be poor (so I have read)

Thanks

Have you tried calling or texting them ?
I had a problem with a new blade two weeks ago and got no reply from an email, but did get a prompt reply by text. Not bad for a Saturday afternoon.
It turned out that he hadn't received my email as his ISP had bounced the email. It's possible his ISP problems haven't been sorted yet, so he may not be getting your emails.

I had emailed on Saturday and then again this morning.

Is the only number a mobile ?

However will take the advice of the above posters. Thank you all.

Regards

Record Power blades, aren't too bad to be getting on with. I got the selection with my saw. Ian at Tuff blades IS worth waiting for, his service and quality is unrivalled.

Let's face it you will be swapping blades left right and centre depending on jobs and it is no fuss to do.
If you got the Alan Holtham DVD with the saw, then take time to follow his advice for setting up, if not the you must get the Steve Maskery one, in fact get it anyway just for his awesomeness.

This is a problem for any one-man business. You can offer the best service in the world, but sometimes you have to take time out, just like anyone else does. Illness, holidays, family disasters etc, etc. It's not always a good idea to announce it to the world:
"Hi, my address is on my website and I'm going away for a long weekend".....

Ian is the best and if he is not answering promptly you can bet there is a very good reason for it.

His Awesomeness Steve Maskery

aideym":2bsoqtxe said:
Record Power blades, aren't too bad to be getting on with. I got the selection with my saw. Ian at Tuff blades IS worth waiting for, his service and quality is unrivalled.

Let's face it you will be swapping blades left right and centre depending on jobs and it is no fuss to do.
If you got the Alan Holtham DVD with the saw, then take time to follow his advice for setting up, if not the you must get the Steve Maskery one, in fact get it anyway just for his awesomeness.

I don't know what comes with the BS12.
Got it from DM Tools, but don't have it yet. Hence the desire to order quality blade at same time !

Regards

I had a blade delivered from Ian last week only took two days from ordering online to delivery. I did notice with the delivery that the blade came from a unit in Raglan and not from his normal address near Monmouth so perhaps Ian is in the middle of moving his operation to a larger unit. I would hold tight he will get back to you.

Ps If you only ordered it on the weekend he won't get it until Monday so if you have not received it by Wednesday send a text, email or phone Ian.

Grayo":3a3dr1a7 said:
I had a blade delivered from Ian last week only took two days from ordering online to delivery. I did notice with the delivery that the blade came from a unit in Raglan and not from his normal address near Monmouth so perhaps Ian is in the middle of moving his operation to a larger unit. I would hold tight he will get back to you.

Ps If you only ordered it on the weekend he won't get it until Monday so if you have not received it by Wednesday send a text, email or phone Ian.

I have not ordered anything as I don't know what to get !! All input appreciated.
I had enquired as to the best quality blade for cutting softwood up to 4 inches, Mainly straight cuts, some curves, no circles.

No doubt I will find out when he replies.

Regards.

I had two blades ordered and arrived very quickly only a week ago. They have a new site and new account system now. I mirror what the other posters say. Worth waiting for them to get back to you.

Up to 4" is a big range. Generally speaking, for ripping, which produces big curls of sawdust, you need big gullets to carry away the waste. But you also need at least 3 teeth in the work for a smooth cut. So ripping usually requires, say 3 TPI. If most of your work is 4" you may want coarser than that, say 2 TPI.

But for thin stuff, crosscutting or veneered board you need smaller, finer teeth.

And when cutting curves, the tighter the curve the narrower the blade must be.

FWIT, I do 90% of my work with a 1/2" 3TPI Skip blade (for ripping) and a 6TPI regular 1/4" blade ( for nearly everything else).
S

Steve Maskery":lckb1t78 said:
Up to 4" is a big range. Generally speaking, for ripping, which produces big curls of sawdust, you need big gullets to carry away the waste. But you also need at least 3 teeth in the work for a smooth cut. So ripping usually requires, say 3 TPI. If most of your work is 4" you may want coarser than that, say 2 TPI.

But for thin stuff, crosscutting or veneered board you need smaller, finer teeth.

And when cutting curves, the tighter the curve the narrower the blade must be.

FWIT, I do 90% of my work with a 1/2" 3TPI Skip blade (for ripping) and a 6TPI regular 1/4" blade ( for nearly everything else).
S

Steve,

I felt I might use up to 4"capacity, though I would expect most work will be more regular, say 6. 12, and 25mm.

Regards

Ah well that is a rather different scenario, is it not? Cutting 6mm thick is not even remotely the same as cutting 4" thick.
What would you do if you were cutting by hand? The issues are exactly the same, I suggest.

3TPI is a bit coarse for 6mm, so you would get a bang as each tooth independently hit the workpiece, but it would be perfect for 1".
It's all a compromise, but a workable compromise.
S

Back