No. 080 Scraper, serrated blade? History / Uses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexToothill

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently bought a Record No 080 scraper to restore and it has a serrated blade/scraper (See photos). I haven't seen one like this before in person or photos and can't find any history on the internet. Living in Sheffield and being an engineer I have an interest in the history of old Stanley and Record hand tools. If any one has any info in the history/use of a serrated scraper it would be really interesting.

Cheers
Alex

Attachments

• IMG_6779.jpg
    IMG_6779.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6780.jpg
    IMG_6780.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
it will have likely been used as the final surface before gluing on veneer with hot hide glue to create a key, this can also be done with a toothing plane, that's what it reminds me of.

I am aware of toothing planes but have never seen a toothing blade for a No 80 scraper. It looks a bit thicker than the normal 80 blade so perhaps it was a bit of home innovation.
Regards
John

I am aware of toothing planes but have never seen a toothing blade for a No 80 scraper. It looks a bit thicker than the normal 80 blade so perhaps it was a bit of home innovation.
Regards
John
I have one and it is complete with Record's branding at the top, untoothed portion of the blade.

I have one and it is complete with Record's branding at the top, untoothed portion of the blade.
Thanks for the information. In all my years woodworking and with books and forums I have never seen a toothing blade for a No 80. Still if you stick around long enough the gaps get filled in.
Regards
John

Regards
John
It does have the record stamp on the top so it’s original, but possible not original for this plane.

Latest posts

Back