Newspaper as insulation for workshop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishthump

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, this is my first post, so go easy!!!

I am planning to have a new 14x8 workshop in a couple of weeks. I want to insulate the walls which are made up of shiplap on a 2x1 framework with a plastic membrane between. I don't to go to the expense of using glass fibre and was wondering about the possibilty of using shredded newspaper, as I can easily lay my hands on tons of the stuff!

Has anyone else done this? Any advice?

Cheers...

Careful, you need to work out which side your plastic damp proof sheet goes (on the inside, close to the internal panels), and your moisture permeable membrane on the outside (under the shiplap) to allow it to breathe outwards only. I'm not sure about back filling with newspaper - I don't have any experience of it but it sounds potentially flammable should the thing ever catch fire, and if a leak got in, that it may harbour lots of damp (which subsequently rots the timbers) and does it generate any heat as it decomposes whilst wet (via a leak you might not know about) (a.l.a compost heaps) which occasionally catch fire?

Adam

andycorleone":2v59yi3a said:
I used white Polystyrene which I cutted with a heated nife works perfect for me and is a lot cheaper than the fibreglass :D

Ask Shadowfax though! As a resident fireman, he put me off polystyrene, although I did use it in my first workshop.

Could the OP raid a few builders skips for some Kingspan/Jablite? Its just the stuff and fire resistant!

Adam

Adam":1hwduzub said:
Careful, you need to work out which side your plastic damp proof sheet goes (on the inside, close to the internal panels), and your moisture permeable membrane on the outside (under the shiplap) to allow it to breathe outwards only. I'm not sure about back filling with newspaper - I don't have any experience of it but it sounds potentially flammable should the thing ever catch fire, and if a leak got in, that it may harbour lots of damp (which subsequently rots the timbers) and does it generate any heat as it decomposes whilst wet (via a leak you might not know about) (a.l.a compost heaps) which occasionally catch fire?

Adam

I am buying the shed in pre-assembled sections, and the permeable membrane will already be in place under the shiplap. I have some plastice ready to go under whatever sheeting I use for the inside. (Most likely ply or mdf)
I had thought about the flammability issues already, and was thinking of polystyrene as andy suggested, but it seems it's no better than paper!

Hi, I wouldn't use ordinary shredded newspaper, seems a bit risky.
You can buy shredded paper to use which has been treated to reduce fire risk and deter rodents but, it is quite messy and has to be aerated to work properly.

HTH

Steve

I think they used paper on this old house once but it had a chemical may be alum to fire retard and stop livestock living in it.

Back