Newbie to woodworking and wanting to build new desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullivent

Reaction score
Hello,

First off I'm completely new to working with wood, never done anything with it before,however I'm currently on the market for a new desk, after looking the cheaper ikea desks and seeing that it's filled with paper it's kind of put me off them, however I did see a desk top from ikea, I have had to post pictures of it and the information as apparently I do not have permission to post any links.

It says it's solid beech however I'm looking for a white desk, my main questions are

1. Can the colour of this be changed to white while still showing the grain in the wood?
2. Is this a good price for what it is?
3. Is this wood good enough/durable enough to be a desk top?

I'm completely clueless about this area so sorry if the questions seem silly, but any help would be much appreciated!

Thankyou in advance!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 256
  • image.png
    image.png
    200.8 KB · Views: 256
These "slabs" (obtainable from many sources so check around for prices) are made up from many short random lengths of wood glued together. They will make excellent desktops as they are stable and dimensionally accurate. But I don't think a white finish showing the grain and joins would work very well. If you want a white finish you'd probably be better giving it several coats of a good paint and forget trying to get the grain to show through.

Bullivent":1xhh0pj0 said:
Can the colour of this be changed to white while still showing the grain in the wood?
Not easily, no.

Is this a good price for what it is?
It's a bit pricey I think, but really it depends on what your options are. If there are no other choices available to you that makes it a great price :)

Is this wood good enough/durable enough to be a desk top?
Deffo.

Beech is a close-grained, hard hardwood, so practically the perfect wood for this type of thing. But to be honest pine would probably do you fine!

Hello
If you really want a white top and still have the grain showing
slab sawn ash would be a good choice as it has a lot more texture to it than most ..
How stable / flat would this top need to be ?

I would personally be looking for wide planks of ash to laminate together if it was me :D
Good luck

How white do you want it? You can give it a white wash with chalk paint or diluted white emulsion of you're after the shabby chic look, and that will still show much of the grain.

White gloss will just cover the grain completely though

You probably wont get much grain showing through if you paint it.
Would be worth checking local timber suppliers as buying this stuff this size online puts postage costs up.
Might be cheaper elsewhere.

Most ikea products have a smooth gloss finish, which would not show any grain if repainted. However, this desktop appears to require oiling prior to use, so presumably hasn't been glossed, in which case you may be able to see grain if you use a very thin layer of paint, or perhaps apply an opaque covering.

Hello and thank you for the replies.

It doesn't sound like it would be an easy job to turn this wood white then as well as keeping the grain showing, especially for me anyway. I would be happy with the way it is however I am on a very tight budget and I cant really find any beech furniture in the lower price range which would match with it as its the whole room is being done and IKEA doesn't really seem to offer many other solid wood tabletops really. Is there any other wood type which matches generally well with beech?

I've not really thought about visiting local timber suppliers, are these generally cheaper and can things be cut to size?

I've been doing some research though, and I've come across three things, one is plywood, is this any good for a desktop and is there anything that can be done with it to make it look better? The other things I have seen is Veneered wood and laminated wood, what are these like? And would they be cheaper options as opposed to tabletop I had in mind originally?

One last question is I have seen some drawers in white stained oak and I absolutely love the look of it, however I cannot find any desks or other furniture the same, How is this achieved and is it easy to do?

Many thanks!

The tabletop you linked is laminated.

Veneered is generally MDF with a paper thin layer of wood on top in order to get the appearance of solid wood (although I'd say most people can tell if it is veneered). Laminated is smaller bits of wood glued together to make a larger slab. Plywood probably wouldn't work unless you wanted to veneer the edges.

What is your budget?

Bullivent":zdrlchdv said:
Hello and thank you for the replies.

It doesn't sound like it would be an easy job to turn this wood white then as well as keeping the grain showing, especially for me anyway. I would be happy with the way it is however I am on a very tight budget and I cant really find any beech furniture in the lower price range which would match with it as its the whole room is being done and IKEA doesn't really seem to offer many other solid wood tabletops really. Is there any other wood type which matches generally well with beech?

I've not really thought about visiting local timber suppliers, are these generally cheaper and can things be cut to size?

I've been doing some research though, and I've come across three things, one is plywood, is this any good for a desktop and is there anything that can be done with it to make it look better? The other things I have seen is Veneered wood and laminated wood, what are these like? And would they be cheaper options as opposed to tabletop I had in mind originally?

One last question is I have seen some drawers in white stained oak and I absolutely love the look of it, however I cannot find any desks or other furniture the same, How is this achieved and is it easy to do?

Many thanks!

The white stained oak is probably what is known as limed oak. There are professional ways of achieving it but a diy option is liming wax. It will only work on oak or similar open grain timber like ash. You could buy an oak worktop

Hi Bullivant,

Welcome to the site and to woodwork.

Have a look at this link.

http://roncurrie.co.uk/timber/furniture ... imber-wood

Not saying you have to use this firm, but it will give you some idea on price, and what it looks like. Again, this board is strip laminated from offcuts of wood, so they are generally stable boards. (Unless you leave them in full sun, like I had to last week!)

If you wanted just one thickness for a desktop I think pine would serve you well. You're hardly likely to give it a 'bashing', and bear in mind some woodworkers make their benches from pine.

Best of luck.

JW

Hello and thankyou!

I see that these are strips of wood attached like you said and has previously been mentioned in this thread, however after looking at the depth I'm after more like 750mm, because this desk isn't going to be up against a wall so I'm after more depth so my monitors are not right on the edge and still have plenty of space for hands and keyboard. Been looking around at this idea and would getting two planks of wood which seem fairly cheap (£20 each) and attaching them be an easy task for someone with no experience, and would it even work for a desk is the real question?

Sorry for so many questions throughout this thread but I just want to make sure I pick the right/best thing and make sure everything is correct before going out and purchasing it.

Bullivent":6a4x7dj4 said:
Hello and thankyou!

I see that these are strips of wood attached like you said and has previously been mentioned in this thread, however after looking at the depth I'm after more like 750mm, because this desk isn't going to be up against a wall so I'm after more depth so my monitors are not right on the edge and still have plenty of space for hands and keyboard. Been looking around at this idea and would getting two planks of wood which seem fairly cheap (£20 each) and attaching them be an easy task for someone with no experience, and would it even work for a desk is the real question?

Sorry for so many questions throughout this thread but I just want to make sure I pick the right/best thing and make sure everything is correct before going out and purchasing it.

I'd suggest you get onto Youtube, and search 'Kreg Jig'.

There are plenty of videos there to show you how the Keg jig works. Joining two boards edge to edge is easy enough with that jig. There are various models, but you could probably get by with the Kreg mini-jig set up. This has everything you need to cut pocket-holes for screws, You drill the holes underneath where they won't show, and the boards can be joined exactly. You might find an 'upstand' along the rear of the desktop very useful, as bits and pieces migrate and fall down the back! You might need a vice as an extra with the Kreg mini-jig.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kreg-635709-Ji ... g+mini+jig

Even better :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... g%C2%AE+R3

Have fun investigating the Kreg.

Bullivent":240egzph said:
Hello,

First off I'm completely new to working with wood, never done anything with it before,however I'm currently on the market for a new desk, after looking the cheaper ikea desks and seeing that it's filled with paper it's kind of put me off them, however I did see a desk top from ikea, I have had to post pictures of it and the information as apparently I do not have permission to post any links.

It says it's solid beech however I'm looking for a white desk, my main questions are

1. Can the colour of this be changed to white while still showing the grain in the wood?
2. Is this a good price for what it is?
3. Is this wood good enough/durable enough to be a desk top?

I'm completely clueless about this area so sorry if the questions seem silly, but any help would be much appreciated!

Thankyou in advance!

I'm currently attempting to build a Danish design inspired chair in oak that will use a Danish lye soap finish, that keeps a very pale look, but sacrifices durability. The Scandinavian's also take this a step further with a 'white oil' finish that will basically be what you are after. Not sure how this would go down with Beech though... WOCA do a range of finishes for this...

Hello,

Thankyou for everyone's help with this project, I've been doing a lot, and I mean a lot of research into things to build this desks, maybe too much for what it is, but I never knew there were so many things in woodworking!

I kind of like the plank idea a lot over the original board I posted a picture of, and the kreg jig method, let's just hope it's as easy as it looks! The only problem is I never realised how expensive hardwood is, my budget is a absolute max of £100, and the lower the better, maybe it's a low budget for a desk but it's all I'm willing to put into it at the moment, and that is for the desktop itself and the legs. I'm wanting it 1.4M long, with a width of 750mm, with a depth of at least 20mm so it's a pretty large desk (In my eyes anyway)

So far the only options I'm coming up with is going with Pine, although I've seen that it's soft and scratches and dents so so easily, however this could be a good thing as it would give it character, and I don't think I'd really be battering my desk, I also really like the look of pine for some reason, or the other option is plywood, I've read it can be OK aslong as you get a decent grade or veneer it, what's everyone's opinions on these two woods?

I don't really have transport to a local timber yard at the moment, that could be why all the prices are so high because I'm looking online, however there looks to be some pretty good deals on eBay, maybe hard wood is cheaper than I am seeing but I'm just not looking good enough, I'd love an oak desk but so far it's out my price range!

Thanks again for all the help given and thankyou in advance!

I think you summed the two up well. Pine is cheaper than decent plywood, but you'd need to edge join several boards to achieve the 750 width. Ply tends to come in sheets that are 1.2M x 2.4M, so you could get the top out of one sheet with ply to spare

Bullivent":b1w3v0nr said:
Hello,

Thankyou for everyone's help with this project, I've been doing a lot, and I mean a lot of research into things to build this desks, maybe too much for what it is, but I never knew there were so many things in woodworking!

I kind of like the plank idea a lot over the original board I posted a picture of, and the kreg jig method, let's just hope it's as easy as it looks! The only problem is I never realised how expensive hardwood is, my budget is a absolute max of £100, and the lower the better, maybe it's a low budget for a desk but it's all I'm willing to put into it at the moment, and that is for the desktop itself and the legs. I'm wanting it 1.4M long, with a width of 750mm, with a depth of at least 20mm so it's a pretty large desk (In my eyes anyway)

So far the only options I'm coming up with is going with Pine, although I've seen that it's soft and scratches and dents so so easily, however this could be a good thing as it would give it character, and I don't think I'd really be battering my desk, I also really like the look of pine for some reason, or the other option is plywood, I've read it can be OK aslong as you get a decent grade or veneer it, what's everyone's opinions on these two woods?

I don't really have transport to a local timber yard at the moment, that could be why all the prices are so high because I'm looking online, however there looks to be some pretty good deals on eBay, maybe hard wood is cheaper than I am seeing but I'm just not looking good enough, I'd love an oak desk but so far it's out my price range!

Thanks again for all the help given and thankyou in advance!

Have you considered buying secondhand and upcycling?
Ebay, Gumtree, local auctions would be worth a look and I reckon the project could easily be completed this way within your budget. With upcycling your time will be the most expensive currency.

If you save money on the pine, you could always invest in a sheet of acrylic or perspex to cover the surface and protect it. :)

That's what would make plywood easy, one sheet does it, but does plywood bow easily? I have also looked around eBay a bit as I know it could make things a lot cheaper but it's like you said, It takes time to find good deals , I will continue to look around however, I am trying to save as much money as possible but still keep it a good looking desk.

I have also considered using pine but buying something which is transparent, Maybe glass, even though more expensive, it would give it a good look I think as-well as protecting it.

I saw this picture not too long ago by doing a simple google image search to get ideas, I really like it and I think its pine although I maybe wrong, But to me it seems like the edges are curved, Making the individual boards easier to identify, Would anybody be able to tell me if achieving this is an easy task for someone with no experience? I'm guessing not but I could be wrong.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• Desk.jpg
    Desk.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 54
I've bought a few things from charity shops and antiques places and fixed them up. You tend to get a lot of good quality stuff that someone has done a terrible job of upcycling and decided to get rid of. If you can find something that's solid wood rather than veneered you could get something nice for cheap.

Latest posts

Back