Newbie photos, comments welcome ( how can i do better)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1mbr0wn

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the quality of the photos, iphone camera is not good.

Being new i wouldn't mind some comments on what i have been doing so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 778
I made this goblet thought it was ok but i was then told that i need to hollow it same thickness all the way to the bottom, found it hard enough getting to the depth i did, more practice required.

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 774
A few more photos, feel free to comment, need as much help as i can get.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 773
j1mbr0wn":3bg7bsz2 said:
I made this goblet thought it was ok but i was then told that i need to hollow it same thickness all the way to the bottom, .

May be correct if you are talking from a purists point of view but if it was as good as you could achieve at the time then job done.
It's not easy to form the inner curve to keep the sidewall constant thickness, check out a lot of glass versions and you will see that they have thicker walls at the lower bowl area.

Yes the more you do the easier it will seem but to even achieve what you have there in shape and proportions is better than a good many can achieve when they first start out.

there are some lovely lines on the pieces shown - look forward to seeing more.

a bit more light will help your camera show off your finish better - even if you have to wait for the weekend to take things out in the daylight

Nothing much wrong with any of them from my (beginner) point of view mate. The thing for me at the moment is paractice, practice, practice..
I turned this at the weekend out of a cherry branch I've had since I got my lathe.
Chalice1-1.jpg

It was an exercise in getting the walls as thin as possible without destroying it, so is unfinished and may never be finished.
Your shapes look good to me, detail is good - I would say keep at it, yer doin fine.

Are you sure you are just starting out? :shock: a good variety of well balanced shapes, boxes and bowls with well fitting lids and as far as i can see no obvious tool marks. =D>

I think there may be an upset in the vase challenge if you're in it :D

As I only picked up a turning chisel for the first time this week, they look bloody good to me.
Well done.
Si.

Hi, i'd agree with comments so far, looking good, are your black lines painted or burnt? chris

Thanks everyone for the comments, I have a decent camera but I'm no good at taking photos but outside in daylight sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a try.

I got my lathe in April but before that I watched tons of videos and read loads of mags and books. Watching and reading are two different things though and it's been a good learning curve. I joined a club and on the first night one of the guys demo'd a goblet so I just had to try, I have no fear in trying stuff it's the only way to learn. There does come a time though when you need people to view your items and give you comments that way us new guys will improve.

The lines are burnt on the box, it's not a good fit now the wood was wet and it's very loose but the GF likes it so that's what matters. My first attempt at the vase the depth is short by 8mm I think I need to read the rules again or before I do anything LOL.. Another is in the works same shape so I won't post the wrong one ( don't want to give away my secret greek vase oops) LOLL

Thank you for your comments keep them coming.

j1mbr0wn":3r2otil5 said:
Thanks everyone for the comments, I have a decent camera but I'm no good at taking photos but outside in daylight sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a try..

i have a crappy camera and i also cant take a decent picture, but for next to no outlay you can seriously improve your photos, have a look at the link i posted a week or two ago....
3-threads-in-one-t53883.html

its all about the lighting.

look faorward to seeing the vase :)

As a bit of a novice myself, I have to say I think what you've done so far as really good.
Some nice shapes and forms.

As for hollowing to a uniform thickness all the way down inside the goblet, I'm very much of the opinion that if it looks good, feels good & you're happy with it then that's the main things that matter - especially while still learning.
Only later, if & when people ask you to make things for them, should you be more concerned with things like that.
For now it's practise, practise & more practise.

Latest posts

Back