Newbie looking for hobby advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all.

I'm looking to get into wookword simply as a hobby. Sometging to enjoy and learn throughout the journey. I'm intending to get a lathe and this got me thinking about other items I'd like.

I have a router table but it's not ideal.

Now to the question. I don't have much space so want to make the most of it. I also have to keep things as cheap as possible.
I'd like to make a table saw that can incorporate a router.
There are plenty of video's on YouTube of home made equipment but there's so many it's confusing. Are there any stand out one's that are worth looking at?

Cheers, Mark

I would start with one of 2 things.

1. Necessity. An item that you need to make for the house eg a bookcase, coffee table etc and work out what tools you may need.

2. Start with the lathe and some means of sharpening and make turning your hobby.

The reason that I say this is because I also have limited space but have started making flat stuff rather than turned. The amount of money spent on tools and equipment soon amounts up- for instance even buying a mix of new and reasonably good secondhand kit can soon amount up. Eg a couple of hand planes, a hardpoint saw, a hardpoint tenon saw, chisels etc can soon top £100. A table saw, router to put in the table, a planer thicknesser, bandsaw, some power tools all takes up a fair bit of space and whilst are not essential, are not luxuries really either.

Whereas you get a lathe, and some tools for that, a grinder and make some jigs and you can be away, turning salvaged wood and firewood. You can make gifts and items for the house as you choose and the outlay is far less until you want to turn massive things and want to upgrade. You could have a lathe in an 8x6 shed whereas a single garage soon gets full with other woodworking machines. If I didn't enjoy making (and need items) in the first category, I would be tempted to clear my whole garage and just have a lathe and bandsaw in it and loads of room!

In any case, start with what you want to make or you will end up collecting tools just in case.

That's ruddy good advice. As well as the issue of cost and space, turning is also staggeringly addictive and once you get the bug I'm afraid you'll have no time to make anything else anyway :)

Thanks, some great advice there.

I'd never thought about it like that.

I do already have some basic tools like planes, a few chisels maybe a tenon saw somewhere and if a few power tools etc.
i just thought that perhaps having a table saw could make a straight cut a little bit easier even if just for preparing timber for the lathe.

Oh yes, on YouTube I saw a video of someone making their own saw table using a second hand circular saw. The saw had what looks like a nice smooth vertical motion via 2 runners as opposed to pivoting from the front like most do. Does anyone happen to know which circular saws have this motion as i think it would be much better for making my own table if i do so?

Hi Mark

sorry to dampen your spirits

if u r going to attempt this

2 things:

riving knife
blade guard

Steve

SteveF":1d24k5xo said:
Hi Mark

sorry to dampen your spirits

if u r going to attempt this

2 things:

riving knife
blade guard

Steve
I beleive most if not all circular saws icorperate a riving knife as of 2009. A guard should be easy enough.

As well as the issue of cost and space, turning is also staggeringly addictive and once you get the bug I'm afraid you'll have no time to make anything else anyway :)

I had done a bit of turning over the years and I really don't understand the addiction. After a while round things get boring and the world can only handle so many tea light holders!

However "Whatever floats your boat" I say.

Chris

I like your veiw on this marcros, your dead on with the space.

When i first setup i had a 10 x 8 shed FULL!!!!! Of tools and had to half empty it to use one safely, however that being said, i could not do without my table saw and given the space id say is a must.

I would also be lost without my bandsaw and would say if your going for the turning option, preparing logs and blanks will be much easier with a bandsaw, its probably the second most used tool in my workshop now (1st is the lathe of course)

Hope this helps

I would also be lost without my bandsaw and would say if your going for the turning option, preparing logs and blanks will be much easier with a bandsaw, its probably the second most used tool in my workshop now (1st is the lathe of course)

I would second this, even if you are not turning. It's small footprint makes it a good option when space is very limited. I think if you can only fit one saw in a small workshop it would be a band saw.

Chris

SimonT":2crzcs4u said:
I like your veiw on this marcros, your dead on with the space.

When i first setup i had a 10 x 8 shed FULL!!!!! Of tools and had to half empty it to use one safely, however that being said, i could not do without my table saw and given the space id say is a must.

Hope this helps
Ah, now you have me thinking :lol:
I can probably only afford one saw so I'll have to put some thought into that.

Hmmm, the more I think about it the more I agree that a bandsaw, if I can get one for the right price, may be a better option.

Back