Newbie from MCR looking to start a hobby

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackbird

Reaction score
Hi,

I studied design decades ago and been in digital marketing since - now looking to develop a new skill and hands-on hobby away from the screen.

Completely renovated the house last year and now in need of multiple radiator covers, outside benches, planters etc. Thinking an investment in tools will be cheaper and I get to develop a new skill and improve mental health at the same time.

Will have 101 questions about tooling, techniques, terminology and craft : )

Thanks. What are the routes to learning in the field? It is just buy kit and try, or are there nightschools, workshops or mentorships you can join (in Manchester?)
Hi there,I’m a Manchester (Middleton) hobby woodworker I’ve got a workshop your more than welcome to come over and have a look at for any help and advice. I’m far (and I mean far) from a professional but I have a rough idea regarding woodworking. I’ve done a few weekend courses with Chris tribe ( a great guy and extremely knowledgeable) which gave me a good grounding on understanding the basics of woodworking. If I can help get in touch. Onwards and upwards,Howard.

Thanks. What are the routes to learning in the field? It is just buy kit and try, or are there nightschools, workshops or mentorships you can join (in Manchester?)

that's a good question, sadly there is very little, I do this as a hobby, most of what I have learnt is from paul sellers, with the pandemic it makes things even more challenging, I haven't really had a proper mentor and am self taught, custard helped me out a lot on here and was very encouraging in the beginning, men in sheds is really the only thing I can think of, I think a lot of the funding for these things have mostly gone in terms of nightschools...

Hi there,I’m a Manchester (Middleton) hobby woodworker I’ve got a workshop your more than welcome to come over and have a look at for any help and advice. I’m far (and I mean far) from a professional but I have a rough idea regarding woodworking. I’ve done a few weekend courses with Chris tribe ( a great guy and extremely knowledgeable) which gave me a good grounding on understanding the basics of woodworking. If I can help get in touch. Onwards and upwards,Howard.

Thats really kind, thank you! Once covid has settled down I’ll give you a shout. It would be super helpful to see your setup and get some advice. I’d really appreciate that. In the meantime I’ll check out Chris’ website and videos. So glad I found this forum! Thanks again

that's a good question, sadly there is very little, I do this as a hobby, most of what I have learnt is from paul sellers, with the pandemic it makes things even more challenging, I haven't really had a proper mentor and am self taught, custard helped me out a lot on here and was very encouraging in the beginning, men in sheds is really the only thing I can think of, I think a lot of the funding for these things have mostly gone in terms of nightschools...

Thanks for the reply - it’s a shame funding has gone but so grateful for finding this forum. The replies to my [this] first post/thread show what a great community it must be!

Latest posts

Back