New Yankee Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tisdai

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have just seen on the web that Norm Abraham and the New Yankee Workshop has been stopped filming by PBS. :cry: :cry:

After 21 seasons of the show PBS have decided not to record anymore episodes, I know i will miss the show, How many here have watched Norm throught the years.

Cheers

Dave

tisdai":dezt4f71 said:
Hi All

I have just seen on the web that Norm Abraham and the New Yankee Workshop has been stopped filming by PBS. :cry: :cry:

After 21 seasons of the show PBS have decided not to record anymore episodes, I know i will miss the show, How many here have watched Norm throught the years.

Cheers

Dave

Nahm [obligatory Boston accent] is a great guy--his show has really help hobby woodworking over the last couple of decades. I only watched it a few times a year because my local station was always moving it around, and most of the time it was on at about 4 PM on Saturday--when I was out in the shop.:) Folks like to make fun of him (How many battery powered drills did he have, anyway? And how many brads did he shoot "to hold it until the glue dries"?), but he got better over time and always made me think "Heck, I can do that."

Kirk

tisdai":2vsy8eq5 said:

Dave are you on dial up? :lol:

That's been floating about for some time.

Sad day, maybe some of the Brit woodworkers will made a new series. As long as it's not that verbally dyslexic scouser from Big Brother. :roll:

Gary":itggp52w said:
tisdai":itggp52w said:

Dave are you on dial up? :lol:

That's been floating about for some time.

Sad day, maybe some of the Brit woodworkers will made a new series. As long as it's not that verbally dyslexic scouser from Big Brother. :roll:

May as well be i am on 1 meg :cry: :cry: connection, bit further up the lane and i would'nt have any as that is the cut off point for it.

Cheers

Dave

I loved 'This Old House' - when I first got Cable TV in the mid/late 90's it was on Saturday afternoons. Apart from Bob Vila the show was great :)

Will miss the NYW - all together now 'There is no more important rule than wearing these...' :lol:

Dave

The last series of NYW was shown last year in the States, but was in fact repeats of two earlier series with updated introductions to show how the projects have fared.

In 2008, the actual last 'new' series Norm spent most of the episodes making a kitchen.

The 2006 series was shown several times a few months ago on Real Time/ Shed and the 2007 series is currently being aired. I am not aware that the 2008 series has been shown here, but I would expect it to be soon.

Although Norm is not doing NYW any more he is still regularly on This Old House.

Misterfish

misterfish":112lcxbz said:
The last series of NYW was shown last year in the States, but was in fact repeats of two earlier series with updated introductions to show how the projects have fared.

In 2008, the actual last 'new' series Norm spent most of the episodes making a kitchen.

The 2006 series was shown several times a few months ago on Real Time/ Shed and the 2007 series is currently being aired. I am not aware that the 2008 series has been shown here, but I would expect it to be soon.

Although Norm is not doing NYW any more he is still regularly on This Old House.

Misterfish

If possible would you be able to do a list of the channels names that they will be shown on, as i like most others are with either sky tv or virgin tv. Getting a list of the channels that the programs are being shown on would be a great help.

Cheers

Dave

A couple of episodes from the 2007 season were shown on 'shed' last night (ones I hadn't seen before too). Sky+ is a great thing...I get to watch some of the shows I like rather than Eastenders, I'm a celebrity etc.

He was my first introduction into woodworking. He made everything look so simple. Will miss NYW big influence on my woodworking. And to be honest im gutted. The best woodworking show by far the other show try to emulate him, but sadly fail..

He has certainly been responsible for getting a lot of people into woodworking and he revived my interest when I discovered his show a few years ago.

I'm sure Discovery will continue to air his repeats and they are always worth watching even if you've seen them before.

NYW is currently airing on Tuesday on Sky channel 242 at 10:00pm and 10:30pm after Rico Daniels (talk about chalk & cheese :) )

I agree Sky+ in a boon as I am able to record his programmes and then save them to DVD for future reference.

regards

Brian

From the very, very little that I've seen of him (mainly the shirts) I think personally, I'll steer well clear... - Rob

To be honest I will not be sad to see the end of Norm, I know alot of you love him but the quality of his work leaves alot to be desired in my opinion and as for workshop safety - say no more.

The other side to my dislike is when clients request furniture and on providing a quote hearing the phrase - how long will that take and how much do you charge - we saw something like that being made on the tv and it only took him a couple of days from start to finish.

Yeah right.

Sorry to be mister cynical but I aint a fan!

Dodge

Yes i watch NYW too.

You can catch one episode a week on his website. I think every saturday they change the episode.

There was an aussie in england doing a show called English Woodworker, David spade i think his name. I liked that show to!

There was a few, Modern Woodworker, Wood works (Anton Fitzjerold i think), that one that built his own workshop on TV then continued to build furniture. The one Craig was in wasn't to good anyway, i can't stand him. There was another that was hosted by the guy thats in everything building wise, he started on DIY SOS, can't stand him.

Dodge,

His work may not be up to your professional standards but he has been an inspiration to thousands of amateur home woodworkers, myself included. It's that inspiration that is why I like to watch his programme. I've never built any of his projects but have learned a lot through watching him.

As for workshop safety, you are right of course but that is something for each individual to take responsibility for. Having said that, as a TV programme, he should be setting a better example in this regards because a lot of people will copy his techniques.

As for your customer thinking you are taking too long/charging too much, I don't think you can do much about that sort of ignorance.

Hudson,

The Aussie guy is David Free and his programme is Great British Woodshop

He has a similar programme style as Norm, I believe that his director or producer used to work on the NYW programme so maybe that was the influence.

As for Anton Fitzpatrick he really needs some lessons in workshop safety (he wears gloves when using his table saw to protect his hands :shock: )

regards

Brian

I watched him in the earlier days when I was that side of the Pond and was indeed enthralled....I remember saying to "her indoors" though that almost anyone can do anything with the kit he had. Most of it was probably from sponsors.

I hardly ever wanted to build the things he made as they generally were not my taste but some of his techniques were noted and used in later life.

I don't exactly know why he has such a God-like following but each to their own...I am just amazed his fingers have survived....although there are probably a few stunt double hands missing a few! :D

Jim

Latest posts

Back