New Yankee Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes a big fan of Norm here. Like many on here I didn't like some of his techniques like using far too many brads, but he taught me a thing or two over the years. He has started many a woodworker on the slippery slope too. I would say I will miss him but I haven't had Discovery shed for a long time now so haven't seen him anyway. I too will watch any woodworking show that is on even if it is that bodger Anton Fitzpatrick! :lol:

Cheers Brian.

I never really look at there shop safety. I don't really like the stuff norm builds furniture wise. His router table i thought was good!

Every time i watch, it gives me the get up and go to make something for me, never happens like.

Must say I like the integrity/no hype/simple enthusiasm/imperturbable sort of vibe that he exudes. He's very restful to watch, and there's always something to learn. He's never going to be a fashion or design icon - nor even an actor :D, but that surely is a lot of his appeal.

He's not haute couture in his choice of projects or his woodworking, but he comes across as pretty refined compared to a few of the other denizens of Discovery channel - not to mention the one or two of the most dumbed down UK woodworking mags.

He can't be that dodgy on safety seeing as he's a lifetime woodworker, and still has all his fingers.

jimi43":10532tkj said:
I don't exactly know why he has such a God-like following but each to their own...I am just amazed his fingers have survived....although there are probably a few stunt double hands missing a few! :D

Jim

If you want somebody who slices himself up with regularity, try Roy Underhill (http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/index.html). I swear, the guy ends up half his shows with something bandaged up. Good thing he doesn't use power tools, or his name would be "Stubby".:)

Kirk

kirkpoore1":2ozs8rmz said:
jimi43":2ozs8rmz said:
I don't exactly know why he has such a God-like following but each to their own...I am just amazed his fingers have survived....although there are probably a few stunt double hands missing a few! :D

Jim

If you want somebody who slices himself up with regularity, try Roy Underhill (http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/index.html). I swear, the guy ends up half his shows with something bandaged up. Good thing he doesn't use power tools, or his name would be "Stubby".:)

Kirk

kirk

ya he's a bleeder. but i doubt he would call him self a Yankee being from the south. are there more reds planer in the world today?

tool613

Roy Underhill and his 'Woodwright Shop' has been going for years - this year was the 29th series. I was looking at an episode for series 5 recently and nothing much has changed or updated over 25 years.

Of course, despite the demise of NYW there are new 'alternatives' now being shown on PBS. The 'Woodsmith Shop' done by the Woodsmith magazine staff is now on series 4 - they've done some interstingish stuff but the presentation is somewhat stiff, stilted and scripted. Also there's 'Rough Cut' with Tommy 'Mac' (another Boston based woodworking show) is currently on it's first series and from what I've seen so far looks interesting - his TS uses a riving knife and blade guard and he goes for natural finishes rather than the traditional dark brown favoured by Norm.

It is a shame that we can;t seem to get funding for a new decent UK woodworking show.

Misterfish

I too loved the show, shame there won't be anymore but I noticed the other day the Americans have the the "Woodsmith Shop" as a TV show.

I have never seen it as it is not showed here but perhaps with the many zillions of digital TV channels we are now able to view we should be treated to shows of the like.

However, what was the show with the bald Aussie guy presenting?? it was just a complete rip off of the NYW but for me could never hold a candle to the Normeister.

brianhabby":66m39ih0 said:
woodbloke":66m39ih0 said:
From the very, very little that I've seen of him (mainly the shirts) I think personally, I'll steer well clear... - Rob

Why?

regards

Brian
To be honest Brian, I've seen snippets here and there of his programmes. Basically the stuff that he makes and his methodology don't really impress, but I guess if you're new to the game then it must seem pretty inspirational. It leaves me cold though - Rob

Each to their own I guess.

Seems Norm's work is not very inspiring if you are already an accomplished woodworker but it can't be denied that he has helped a lot of people.

For anyone interested you can watch woodworking films from The Wood Woodwhisperer. You can watch them online or even download the videos to watch at your leisure.

regards

Brian

It might not be the best woodworking but it's great tv to just chill out with.

You've got to admire his enthusiasm and take a drink each time he says "Now, we'll just hold it with a few brads..."

Personally I really liked some of the stuff he turned out. He's lightyears ahead of me...

If you can skip the intro, Roy Underhill is, IMHO, far more entertaining.

Maybe it's because I use hand tools out of preference and power tools out of requirement for speed that I find Norm a bit lacking.

The impression he gives is that he is stoking the never-ending desire of some of our brethren for new gizmos and gadgets rather than the outcome.

There is no doubt whatever, that he is a great presenter and his style is what has made him popular and given him his longevity. I would just like to see more variety on woodworking techniques and not constant dados and brads! :wink:

Jim

Hi, Jim

Skip the intro :shock: and miss the disappearing and reappearing axe :wink:

Pete

Style it seems is quite a big deal it seems in all of this - maybe more than woodworking expertise. :)

Norm has the feel of serious minded, probably guilt ridden, work ethic driven but very decent and no bull dung gent. He's to me more a functionally oriented and experienced second fix carpenter than a high end cabinet maker.

The Wood whisperer I struggle slightly with. Nothing wrong with what he has to say, and I'm sure he's a decent lad too - but the vibe is far too hyper and yet monotone for me. It's just another step away from the reality of woodworking and towards the need of the mostly arm chair woodworkers watching TV/visual media audience to be stimulated. He covers an amazing amount of widely varied ground, mind you - how I have no idea.

Roy Underhill from the few times I've seen him in action is heavy on the entertainment value - he has adopted this sort of clownish demeanour. I was looking for the red nose and the big shoes when I first saw him. My sense was that he was fairly basic in his standards too.

One TV guy that works to very high standards/is a serious artist that I've heard of is David Marks - he did another of those East Coast USA cable TV shows. I've not seen him in action, but here's his site with pictures of his stuff: http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks.asp

I did like the Great British Woodshop (with the bald guy) but he was an aussie! or was it New Zealand? anyway he did build some good things but not a lot. I really liked the Cutting Edge woodworker even if some of the things he built were not to my liking. Although they are not shown in this country (not many are) I do like The Router Workshop which centres attention on the router alone. Those guys have some great innovations even if the safety aspect is a little lacking. (Not for the feint hearted) It is woodworking at a pace as they always seem to be in a hurry but turn out some good stuff and not a ruler in sight! :lol:

Before I comment, let's take some time out to look at shop safety. Never set fire to your shop and be sure to always use one of these :shock: the only emoticon that looks like it's wearing safety glasses.

Maybe Norm's workshop has come to an end because he's copied all the American antiques there are and covered them in plastic. All the heirloom pieces he made seemed to develop an instant patina of polypropylene - or whatever it was.
I loved his assumption that everyone has an aircraft hanger full 'o power tools to cut "rabbits" and I'll miss shouting at him.

I think some of us are losing sight of the audience the NYW was actually aimed at? My understanding is that he was a site carpenter? plucked from obscurity while undertaking some job for Russell Morash.

I doubt if the man would ever describe himself as a cabinet maker but what he churns out is well within the range of the masses who follow the programme.

Most of us (non professional woodworkers) have little time for leisure, never mind woodworking, what with day jobs and families to run/steer/fund etc etc so the little time we have can be spent on our own, in our workshops, cranking up power tools and firing brands.........because it is good fun and helps us escape from the big bad world and all the rubbish that goes with it.

I must admit, I am one of the following who has spent a fortune on tools, gadgets and bits and bobs shown or seen on the show. I don't need them but it's my hobby and I love using them, just as someone may spend money or time on their fancy sports cats, motorbikes or whatever it is that keeps them out of mischief.

The other thing is, my hobby keeps the wife happy, she knows where I am, not under her feet and when she wants something made or repaired she knows I am only too keen to do the deed, although I baulk at the wearing of the plaid shirt, that would be taking it too far.

I've never actually met the man so I can't say for sure but he seems an unassuming and genuine individual who feels perhaps a little embarrassed about his "God" like status, a very redeeming feature, most of the "TV celebs" crave the me! me! me! thing rather than just getting the job done.

As far as the entertaimnet goes, are there any other shows out there that can compete with the NYW? Someone mentioned the Cutting edge Woodworker!!! again this must be a choice thing, as long as one likes flexible plywood and veneered MDF projects with low voltage lighting. Personally I think the clown (sorry, but that's the way he comes across) should be hosting Playschool, what with his brightly coloured workshop, quirky and crass demeanor, it certainly doesn't bode well with me. Just goes to show, although we are all woodworkers our preferences are very varied indeed. Rant over!!

I now know what the problem is with my two cats....they are underpowered models...mind you...the way one just tore across the kitchen...he could be a sportscat!

:D :D :D

Sorry mate...couldn't resist...back to watching regular TV!

Jim

Interesting thread this from the perspective of someone who is comparatively new to 'serious' hobby woodworking. I had a grandfather who was a joiner and a brother who trained as an aircraft engineering woodworker (precision jig building). My working life took a different route and whilst I like to think that I can do 'DIY' woodworking competently with retirement looming I've begun investing in some of the tools that catalogues describe as 'for the serious hobbyist'. One of the chief factors in raising my interest has to have been NYW, this series has a key ingredient; I may not have the tools but ways around spring to mind and Norm made things I could aspire to build myself. He also has one other important factor, as a teacher I admire the pace of his delivery. I'm assuming he is untutored in this and it's his natural tempo, but for me it's just right. Great British Workshop is obviously modelled on it but David Free delivers a shade too fast, I don't have one of those Sky boxes with pause and rewind but often feel the need. John Revell has the right delivery speed but I don't aspire to build much that he makes. Cutting Edge woodworker is interesting but again his projects are not for me. As for Anton Fitzpatrick, good at boats and I presume his producer talked him into the furniture series as he looks in an uncomfortable rush all the way through. So as you can see, sad old g*t that I am I've watched the lot! In years to come I suspect they'll still be trying to copy NYW but I predict it will become an all time classic repeated again and again.

Tony Comber

Sorry jimi for the misunderstanding, the sportscat I was referring to is actually more a couch potato and viewing fan of the show rather than an active participant. The sawdust, he finds, tends to get in the wrong places.

I trust that has cleared up any ambiguities?

David

Latest posts

Back