New Yankee Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoopy

Established Member
Reaction score
Did anyone catch Norm making the drop leaf table last night? I thought the finish was....err....interesting :?

I did, what was wrong with it? He went for the dark stain and poly finish and gave his reasons why. Was there much he could have done instead? What with all the colour mismatches in the boards, the wood ranged from black to bluey grey.

If anything he should have left that wood on the reclaimation pile or for another project.

I thought it was a bit of a waste of sone interesting wood to colour it all black.
He might as well have used ordinary oak and finished it in the same way and saved the black oak for a smaller project.

Yes - 'donkey brown' stain and wipe on poly - but the manufacturers of these ware major sponsors of the show, so only to be expected.

Misterfish

Not only was it a poor choice of finish and a waste of good wood, but you could see very clearly the application marks when he brought it out into the sun. Looked like a patchwork quilt

Sorry guys - but I don't rate Norm much anyway.

I think Alan Herd "Restoration Man" etc. is by far the best woodworker I've seen yet on the telly.

I shall now go and hunker down in my bunker.

Cheers
Dave

davebray":z07o1v8o said:
I think most woodworkers eventually come to that conclusion. But when you've never done any proper woodworking and you see a guy make 'nice' furniture in 30minutes, with that huge workshop full of tools, you can't help thinking of him as a god! :lol: Now I can't bare to watch it.

There was a series in the states called Woodworks, by a guy called David Marks. Those shows are brilliant, much more modern and adventurous woodworking.

wizer":3ox0ak1m said:
davebray":3ox0ak1m said:
I think most woodworkers eventually come to that conclusion.

I beg to differ.

Norm makes furniture the way that nearly all pro cabinetmakers make it; maximum use of power tools and machinery with hand tools used only for fine adjustments. This is the only way to make a decent living from woodworking.

Most pro guys I know love Norm and have learned a lot from his shows over the years. I owe him my career!

Brad

I've been dissapointed this series to be honest, glad it's back on but every episode is nothing new

davebray":2p4yu7n4 said:

I think Alan Herd "Restoration Man" etc. is by far the best woodworker I've seen yet on the telly.

I shall now go and hunker down in my bunker.

Cheers
Dave

Heathen! Don't rate Norm.....can't be a woodworker surely? Seriously though I don't suppose he is to everyones taste but he has started many a woodworker on the road to success. As Brad stated he works like many woodworkers who use this as their trade with powertools for speed of build. I have to admit though that his finishing does leave a lot to be desired. JMHO. :wink:

Most of the shows of his I've seen have all had the same dark stain and poly finish. I never watch him now, I personally prefer Roy under hill and mark spagnoulo.

Hi

What channel is NYW on? It may be that I havent got the correct Sky package. I have SKY sports and the 6 pack but I cannot see any reference to the programme.

Cheers
Con

I just like watching it for all the **** ups. :lol:

id get a right telling of if i used a table saw like that.

I remember in some of the episodes him using a molding head in the table saw.. hmmm

JH

Con Owen":35qd9yau said:
Hi

What channel is NYW on? It may be that I havent got the correct Sky package. I have SKY sports and the 6 pack but I cannot see any reference to the programme.

Cheers
Con

If it's ever on then it'll be on Discovery Shed but it's not shown in any consistent/regular pattern. Probably the most annoying method of scheduling TV programmes. Often it's on very early in the morning 5-6am. Sometimes they have 'Workshop days' and stick a glut of the woodworking programmes on over a day or a s weekend and then they'll not show them for months. I got so annoyed with it that I just cancelled that package, we just have FreeView (via Sky) now.

Tom,

We were thinking of getting rid of Virgin and going to free view as we have an old sky dish that was left by the previous owners, how are you finding the free view service? Is it worth it?

He certainly got me back into woodworking. What does interest me is how he has changed his techniques over time. I love the older biscuit machine, I think Paul Chapman has one. As Brad says very typical of a pro shop where time matters, for most of us me included time is not a major factor. I also like his trips to the shaker villages to study their furniture, I would like to see a programme on just that aspect.

Back