New worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

Established Member
Reaction score
I my rush to start my new hobby with a mini lathe a few months ago I jerry rigged a worktop to get started. This also helped me sort out a hight to work with as I could cut and shim it till I was happy. Now that I have done this I am looking at replacing it with something more permanent.

The old top was 600mm deep and I find this OK to work with, the new top I managed to pick up is 800mm deep. My question before I rip it to size is simple should I rip it?

At the moment I do not see any advantage to leaving it 800mm, if anything I think it would make it harder to use any wall space above the lathe.

What depth of top would you recommend and am I missing a trick leaving it at 800mm?

I agree Blister, reaching over a running lathe is a nono

However, if it is ever likely that you will want to (temporarily) remove the lathe to use the workbench for other purposes then keep it at 800mm - especially if you have plenty of space.

Dave

As I thought a deep worktop is no advantage, I am have a deep workbench for general so a narrow bench will help recover some floor space. Then again a good sweep would also help :)

Also depends on the lathe type and workshop layout.

My lathe is floor standing but I do have a 'bench' (shelf really!) behind it to the wall which is essentally a right angle triangle is shape with the sharp point at the headstock end.

This means that the whole lathe is probably at about 30 deg from the wall but really helps when hollowing etc.

(Btw - it is a short bed lathe - so may make less sense for others).

BRgds

Simon

Back