Gas hob recess too small for new hobs, what to do in limited space.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AEG do the super thin ones and it was, I think, a Zanusi that I fitted for my daughter. She sourced it so not sure exactly which model it was.

Thats strange...! ....I've just had a quick look at AEG's and Zanussi's website's and cant see any of their models listed as being less than 44mm thickness.....

Hence, why I was hoping for a link to a specific model, as I often get asked by potential clients about the possibility of having one fitted in a thinner worktop....

Last edited:
Thats strange...! ....I've just had a quick look at AEG's and Zanussi's website's and cant see any of their models listed as being less than 44mm thickness.....

Hence, why I was hoping for a link to a specific model, as I often get asked by potential clients about the possibility of having one fitted in a thinner worktop....
I’ll ask the daughter which one she bought but this is the one that prompted me to mention 12mm

AEG IAE64411FB
On the DiY kitchens website is says
  • Easy installation into any worksurface. Inc a 12mm depth

Aha..! That would help to explain, to a degree, your misunderstanding.
The DIY Kitchens website is misleading....!

As far as I'm aware, there are no built-in induction hobs available in the UK that are designed to fit into a standard thickness kitchen work surface without the need to remove or relieve part of the carcass beneath.

Not only that, but it is really important to ensure there is adequate clearance from anything below the bottom of the Hob once installed.( Ovens, drawers etc)
Also, all the Induction hobs that I've ever fitted, require additional material removed from the rear of the cabinet to allow for the necessary ventilation.

Last edited:
There are now lower power Induction Hobs available that can be safely plugged straight in via a normal 3 pin 13A plug and I believe they are thinner in their profile, but obviously, they are slower than the higher powered options.

Not necessarily slower. Depends what you are trying to do. I thought a lot about this when I bought one. My understanding is that the 13a plug ones have power management, if you only have one ring on it will boil your pan just as fast as a hard wired one, but if you want more rings on it will manage the total power load to keep within limits so it will be slower. Mine is a hard wired one but in practice I rarely have more than one ring set high with the others simmering so a 13a one would probably be fine.

Back