New workshop project about to start

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. It does feel good to have this done now. Hopefully it's more straightforward from now on.
The white pipes are 40mm plumbing pipes for electric and ethernet cables. I've separated them so it's easier to slide cables through but flying haggis you now got me a bit worried because I have a 90 degree bend on them. Would a 6mm armoured cable struggle to get through?

I can't remember now but I'm pretty sure it was the first one, the 90 degree one so as you say I may struggle but I will deal with it once I'm ready to connect the power

Could you terminate the armoured cable outside and then bring a more flexible regular cable through the pipe?

F.

Fitzroy":9444pe27 said:
Could you terminate the armoured cable outside and then bring a more flexible regular cable through the pipe?

F.

Only by having a watertight junction box, which may well be a gell-filled double sealed thing.

Kris the Handyman":20i1o1ev said:
I can't remember now but I'm pretty sure it was the first one, the 90 degree one so as you say I may struggle but I will deal with it once I'm ready to connect the power

three core 6mm swa cable has a minimum bend radius of 90mm so I think you should be ok (if you cut a bit of the pipe off the bit that is horizontal it might make it easier to thread through) bit of washing up liquid helps it slide in easier as well!! Oooh Matron.......)

Thanks for the advice guys. The pipe for the electrics will be cut off either end flush with the concrete slab.
I bought some hardwood doors for the workshop today.
I will be taking the shuttering off tomorrow and depending on the weather I may fill the slab all around with the pea gravel that I have sitting in the front garden. I also need to build a gate for our drive. Hopefully not a lot of rain over the weekend.

Weather has been really bad recently so not much has been happening but the forecast looks good for the weekend.

I've encountered a big issue though - I can't get the 50mm blocks anywhere. Checked a few local suppliers and none can get these for me. One supplier has it on their website but none in stock and won't be getting such a small order for me, it's just not worth it for them and I completely understand that.

So what are the other options if any?
100mm blocks? Another course of bricks?

Kris the Handyman":1aj2voxj said:
Thanks guys. It does feel good to have this done now. Hopefully it's more straightforward from now on.
The white pipes are 40mm plumbing pipes for electric and ethernet cables. I've separated them so it's easier to slide cables through but flying haggis you now got me a bit worried because I have a 90 degree bend on them. Would a 6mm armoured cable struggle to get through?
Did you fit a piece of string inside the pipes before laying them. This can then be used to pull through any other cables.

If not you can progressively feed through a more flexible cable, use that to pull a piece of strong string through then use the string to pull a tougher cable.

We once managed to get the pipe from an oil tank into the house using an old lead water pipe as a conduit.

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Kris the Handyman":331b50m3 said:
It's the 50mm thermalite blocks that Mike was suggesting in his plans. I'm more or less following his plans
thermalite blocks are soft and can be cut with a hand saw , so you could make your own from 100mm blocks

PS cant see 50mm blocks on mikes design

E-wan: I haven't laid any pipes yet

Flying Haggis: Here is the link to his new design http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopi ... &start=100
In the old design the workshop would sit on just the bricks but with the addition of the blocks it's nearly flush with the plinth. It's not crucial though so I may go with the old design.
Slicing the 100mm in half is double but some task as I would need to slice them in half on the 100mm face

Kris the Handyman":mtrlvj1n said:
E-wan: I haven't laid any pipes yet

Flying Haggis: Here is the link to his new design http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopi ... &start=100
In the old design the workshop would sit on just the bricks but with the addition of the blocks it's nearly flush with the plinth. It's not crucial though so I may go with the old design.
Slicing the 100mm in half is double but some task as I would need to slice them in half on the 100mm face

Kris,

On a previous thread where someone had exactly the same issue he made a framework that a 100mm block could sit inside with a slit around the middle of the framework on 3 sides that he then sawed down through. From memory it was a simple thing to make and worked very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I looked for blocks <100mm when I built my (block) workshop. They’re very rare and I never came across anything less than 90mm. You sure it’s not bricks being referred to?

It's these blocks:
https://www.buildbase.co.uk/thermalite- ... 11-2827718
I phoned them and none in stock and they won't get them in unless it's a big quantity

So it's either the idea that LarryS suggests or I will omit the blocks altogether and build it on bricks. Once I've done the bricks I will then measure up and see how things are looking. We have a beautiful sunny day over here so it should be a productive day

Buildbase list a thermalite coursing brick which is 100mm high, so lay it on its side, buildbase stock no 2061133 they might get a pallet infor you (dont know how many are on a pallet though)

Kris the Handyman":1mcudirf said:
......... I can't get the 50mm blocks anywhere........

I checked with a local supplier last week. There is a national shortage of blocks, so manufacturers are concentrating on churning out the basic stuff. Cutting soft blocks in half isn't difficult or particularly time consuming, and can be done with a cheap large-toothed "jack" saw (£5 to £10), or with a large (9" or 12") angle grinder. You don't need to make formwork to aid the cutting, although it might speed things up a bit. Don't forget, the cut face will go to the brickwork, so it doesn't matter how rough the cut is. Possibly the quickest way is to use a 9" grinder and cut along the 2 long edges, then insert a bolster or a big wooden wedge and tap gently until it drops in two.

Building directly on a 4" plinth leaves a really ugly 60+mm overhang at the bottom, and it is such a shame to go to all the trouble of building a really nice workshop to be faced with that nasty detail every time you look at it.

That's true, there is a national shortage of bricks and blocks. I was really lucky that I've managed to get my bricks in time because my usual suppliers had very little and wait time is 6-8 weeks.

I will see if I can get the 100mm thermalite blocks. If they have them in stock locally then I will go the sawing in half route.

I started the brick laying today. I have to say that this is definitely a skilled job and the skill comes with practice. I'm really bad at it.

Back