New workshop....ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps and chapesses,

I'm on the hunt for some advise again. We are currently selling our house and have just had an offer accepted on another house. One of the main reasons for moving is so i can have a bigger workshop (think swmbo is fed up of me using the spare bedroom in our 2 bed terrace, was condsidering building a kingsize workbench for when we had guests staying over :lol: )

The house we are after is 3 bed semi, and i am thinking about putting the workshop at the side of the house between us and next door. Next door is the start of a small row of terraces, but they are elevated from us by roughly 5 ft. There is just over 10ft between the 2 properties And our house already has an 8 ft x 6ft shed butted up against their wall.

I want to fill the whole space with a timber workshop roughly 10ft x 16ft but not sure about the best way to go about it. I will most probably be having it made for me (good contacts with a decent shed company :D ).

Am i best going for a stand alone workshop, or having it as a kind of lean-to to the house (ther won't be access to it from the house) ?and also should i go for a pitched roof, or pent style roof?

One last consideration for the moment...would i need planning permission/building reg?

Thanks.

Matt.

I think Wizer might be the guy to speak to on this one IIRC he's workshop is abutted betwixt his house and the boundary fence, so although not exactly similar to your circumstances, might be close enough to point you in a direction, (hope i'm not speaking out of turn here tom).

yes that's right, my 'in-progress' workshop is roughly the same size as you suggest. It is a lean-to construction and the start of the build plus designs are all documented on this forum (alot!).

Ah now, planning permission..... I have to admit that I did not apply. I realise this is a bit silly, but I decided to take the risk. I already had planning permission to build a brick built extension of larger dimensions on the site so guessed that the timber version would be ok. I DO NOT recommend this practise and you should contact your local planning office for advice. However, to my mind, if it is timber built and not too big in relation to the house then I shouldn't think it is anything more than a 'temporary structure'. I bet there are a few views to the contrary on here :twisted: :roll: :D

Matt

Check out your local council webb site.
They usually have details about permitted developments or give them a ring I have found them very helpful.

Regards

Andy

You'll almost certainly need permission if it is within one metre of your boundary and I wouldn't hesitate to contact the local planning dept. You are going to put a lot of effort into your workshop, tools are noisy, neighbours may get annoyed and complain to the council.

They would then be unlikely to grant you retrospective permission with a complaint having been made and it would have to come down.

Not worth the risk, although PP can be relatively expensive for a small shed/workshop.

Just a quick update, phone the planning dept. and they said it's fine, no permission required. Yipeeee.

WiZeR, my workshop will be very similar to yours...hows it coming on?

Matt.

Matt,

Speak to Planning Deprtments in Latin and they will always say yes, just to look clever! :D

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

I have scoured the web looking for a transltion. Can't find one. Put me out of my misery please?

Unless it means the quantitiy of material, is not so important as the amount of Marmite on your toast?

John

Now, I never knew that materiati meant wood.

Quantum (How Much) materiae (Material) materietur marmota (monax si marmota) Wood chuck? monax materiam (possit) Throw? materiari
You see, I am too literal in my thinking to ever cope with Latin.

I just know what Nullus Secundus means.

Cheers Shulty.

Semper Fidelis Arborialis Laborus

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Congratulations Shultzy, that is correct, and the first prize is............coming helping me build my workshop :lol:

Matt.

Well Matt,

So long as it's far enough away from Old Trafford, it should last you a long time. I hear those footballs that Rooney and Co keep belting out of the ground, end up breaking a few greenhouse windows! Or is that the Roo on his way home?

:)

Good luck and make it right first time.It's got to last you!

John :wink:

Latest posts

Back