New workshop for 2020

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheptonphil":b6u73yjg said:
I used this membrane it came as 135gsm, it’s really tough as it’s designed for roofing, and so can be used for walls. The two 50m rolls were £97 total. It’s 1.5m wide. I’ve probably got 10m left. Superb membrane, espescially at the price, kept the rain out ten days ago and water just beads on the outside.

The stuff you linked is only 120gsm, wonder if they do different ones.

I've got 50m of wall to cover and 37m of roof to cover so I'd better get cracking!

DBT85":2pk7rlla said:
Sheptonphil":2pk7rlla said:
I used this membrane it came as 135gsm, it’s really tough as it’s designed for roofing, and so can be used for walls. The two 50m rolls were £97 total. It’s 1.5m wide. I’ve probably got 10m left. Superb membrane, espescially at the price, kept the rain out ten days ago and water just beads on the outside.

The stuff you linked is only 120gsm, wonder if they do different ones.

I've got 50m of wall to cover and 37m of roof to cover so I'd better get cracking!

That’s the one I bought, I was expecting 120gsm, but it came as 135gsm. Many others are only 100gsm.

There is an undocumented feature of the Hardie carbide knife, if you undo the two screws, there is a single carbide tip the other end. You turn the blade round and put the two screws back in. For the slates I used the double end as a drag knife, it was perfect ergonomics sitting on the roof, slate on your lap and drawing it to you.

4EA874DC-0F90-463F-A7D5-D8F83C02003D.jpeg

EE4B254F-91A0-451D-BA55-7F53329E2A53.jpeg

Attachments

• 4EA874DC-0F90-463F-A7D5-D8F83C02003D.jpeg
    4EA874DC-0F90-463F-A7D5-D8F83C02003D.jpeg
    557 KB · Views: 176
  • EE4B254F-91A0-451D-BA55-7F53329E2A53.jpeg
    EE4B254F-91A0-451D-BA55-7F53329E2A53.jpeg
    558.7 KB · Views: 176
Ahh weird that it was thicker!

I just caught a ballsup in my roof plan and am fortunate I did as I'd have been a bit short on tiles!

MikeG.":3aq3ujkd said:
Not with slate, no. The pointing always fails with slate as there isn't enough texture for it to get hold of. No, I would have taken the cladding material hard up to the underside of the overhanging slate.

I hate plastic on a building, and there are positions no doubt where the only thing you can see of the roof is a strip of black plastic.

Here's my workshop from the rear: I used a little verge board over the feather-edge board because of the overhang:

5TW8DIH.jpg
Mike,

Am I right in recalling that you used slates as an undercloak under the membrane, and that that is what your featheredge goes upto? The barge board then covers that up and the actual roof slates go over the top of the barge?

The early pics look like the undercloak extended a little beyond the featheredge, did you just nudge it back when you later added the barge board?

I was looking at using the fibre cement undercloak till I realised it was more expensive than just using the tiles!

Initially, yes, but I soon realised (before I did any slating) that this was just a poor detail, so I removed the undercloak entirely. The roof is as you see it there in that photo.......slate overhang with small barge board hard up to the underside.

MikeG.":1rd2vi8m said:
Initially, yes, but I soon realised (before I did any slating) that this was just a poor detail, so I removed the undercloak entirely. The roof is as you see it there in that photo.......slate overhang with small barge board hard up to the underside.
Ah ok, excellent thanks.

Appreciated Mike, Thanks.

Now explain why M18 anything is so much more of a pain in the backside to find that either m16 or m20? :lol:

Use M16, then, and whack in a couple of nails. One building inspector told me once that 4 nails equals one bolt, which surprised the hell out of me. Just be careful of splitting the wood.

Hope you've been enjoying some quiet time with this lovely weather Phil, or has she had you drawing up her summer house?

Had a sabbatical at the weekend, This morning cleared everything up and general reorganisation in readiness for cladding. Started fixing the corner trims at the rear, and setting the rear door lining in the opening so I could fit door trims, Back door and frame now fit lovely.

Then a text, fence panels 16 day delay, bum. I was planning on doing the gable wall this weekend, but that is conditional on the fence being removed, cladding done and replace with all new fence panels. So that job has been delayed by two weeks till 13th June. Decided instead now to clear workshop completely, cut all doorways to finished ground level, get the insulation in and set the floor board sheets down instead. Have to get membrane for the celotex yet, will pick some up tomorrow when I pick up my weekend eBay bargain, 12 sheets of 50mm celotex for £150, excess from a local self build job. I’ll also order the internal plasterboard (part of the planning fireproofing condition) after flooring is down and get that all fitted to the ceiling and walls. That should take care of the time gap created till cladding.

So a bit out of order, but nothing that will hurt, I’ve got all the cladding trim for Rest of door reveals and corners to fit as well.

Sat in the garden yesterday, the comments were still flowing, “will the summerhouse decking come to here to put the table on”. Now where the table was under the Sycamore tree is 15 metres from the chosen summerhouse location, it would be more of a coastal boardwalk than a deck! :roll:

For a polythene vapour barrier under the floor. I guess it’s to stop moisture going down. I’ve got to put barrier on the ceiling as well to stop moisture going up.

Well unless you can think of a good reason to put another piece of plastic on top of the concrete, I'm really not sure I'd bother. I can't see what it achieves.

MikeG.":22hcfhc8 said:
Well unless you can think of a good reason to put another piece of plastic on top of the concrete, I'm really not sure I'd bother. I can't see what it achieves.
In your diagram, you have a polythene liner under the celotex, is that not required? What gauge would I use for vapour barrier for the ceiling before boarding?

Sheptonphil":143hiig7 said:
MikeG.":143hiig7 said:
In your diagram, you have a polythene liner under the celotex, is that not required? What gauge would I use for vapour barrier for the ceiling before boarding?

Blimey, have I? Where? I must have a look at those old threads.........

Where polythene is definitely requires around Celotex is when you screed over it. I am not at all clear as to why I showed it in that sketch under a floating floor. In fact, there are two or three things that have evolved over the years to be somewhat different from that old drawing. Mike from 2010 will applaud if you put it in. Mike from 2020 will shrug and say "whatever". Put it this way, I can't see it doing any harm, other than minor damage to your bank balance.

Latest posts

Back