New workshop for 2020

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noggsy":39qup45p said:
Excellent progress and Thankyou for sharing
No problem, it’s steady going and this will serve as a good journal for me as well. It’s so easy to forget where I started and what has been achieved.

Today was slow going to start with, I had to do the first three courses above the stub wall, which only cover 600mm in total and run the rest along in line with them. It worked out really well, but was so fiddly. It’s a bit like tiling a kitchen, the big areas take a day and show what’s been done, then the cut ones take just as long for little progress. It was like that for the first ninety minutes cutting all fifteen slates to the gutter line and small verge. Then onwards up the roof It was easier, but progress was still slow due to being an awkward place to work against the house. Still, it was all finished by end of day, and I managed to lob a ridge tile on a dry run to check everything is going to work. Perfect alignment.
CB8F9B18-42DB-4D8C-B6C5-0C0B9098766B.jpeg
BBA9C9EE-37BA-4F58-B63C-BB0F448BDC12.jpeg

Attachments

• CB8F9B18-42DB-4D8C-B6C5-0C0B9098766B.jpeg
    CB8F9B18-42DB-4D8C-B6C5-0C0B9098766B.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 218
  • BBA9C9EE-37BA-4F58-B63C-BB0F448BDC12.jpeg
    BBA9C9EE-37BA-4F58-B63C-BB0F448BDC12.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 218
DBT85":2w0davav said:
Looking great Phil, whats after the ridge?
Well, before the ridge is the garden side of the roof. If the front is anything to go by, that will be another three day job including the ridge.

Then it’s on to cladding and guttering. I have that pencilled in to start that next week, culminating in the gable end wall and fence replacement (sweetener for neighbour) being done the weekend of the 30th.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this Phil especially as I remember the sore back and knees from slating roofs. Hats off to you for attempting that as a first try and doing a great job to boot. =D>

One that stands out in my memory was a stone barn built from scratch and which had a 1st floor with 2 large escape Velux on the back and 3 smaller conservation on the front. I had planned and advised 3 but my customer decided 2 was enough despite my protestations so we got the front more than 3/4 slated only to find the next morning she had changed her mind and we had to strip it back again. To say I wasn't amused is an understatement.
She came back later with strawberries, ice cream and a bottle of brandy. :)

The barn was approx 15m long and has since become a rather nice little holiday home.

Attachments

• 000 AJamie 40 081.jpg
    000 AJamie 40 081.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 143
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 143
Lons":1i82v5vk said:
I'm thoroughly enjoying this Phil especially as I remember the sore back and knees from slating roofs. Hats off to you for attempting that as a first try and doing a great job to boot. =D>

Cheers Lons

Yes, knees are going through it, and a sore behind sitting on hard square lathe edges. I’m not built for this, and I did say to the missus it’s one job I may have to hire in. But, here we are, 50% complete with the more straightforward roof to do. It’s slow for me, but quite rewarding when it all comes together as a watertight roof. I’ll also put it down as ‘done that, never again (on this scale)’

A steady start with the first Starting courses taking a while to setup and lay. Then it was up and away.

This side is a plain oblong, single verge that I can’t access so am working away from it as it’s safer. Managed to get 120+ slates on, so just under half. I think there will be 270 on this side.

Still slow going, but steadily can see this roof coming together. Rain tomorrow night, so hopefully I can get the majority finished by then.
259BB021-ECC2-4B9D-8FA5-EB9754C129CA.jpeg

6D6CE7F6-EC0D-4DAE-AF71-A690C1589347.jpeg

Attachments

• 259BB021-ECC2-4B9D-8FA5-EB9754C129CA.jpeg
    259BB021-ECC2-4B9D-8FA5-EB9754C129CA.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 6D6CE7F6-EC0D-4DAE-AF71-A690C1589347.jpeg
    6D6CE7F6-EC0D-4DAE-AF71-A690C1589347.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 182
Looking good Phil.
Those slates give a nice clean finish, I used them on an extension for my son, very different from that barn I did and a large grade 2 stable conversion where they were reclaimed slates from the old colliery houses and were filthy, soot caked and many had to be cut down to size. They made the roofs look as if they'd been there 100 years but my wife wasn't happy with the state I came home in every night.

Are they legit real slates or dodgy knockoffs like the ones I'm planning on getting?

Are you hoping to toboggan down the roof when you are done? :lol:

Lons":1g01ymdb said:
Looking good Phil.
Those slates give a nice clean finish, I used them on an extension for my son, very different from that barn I did and a large grade 2 stable conversion where they were reclaimed slates from the old colliery houses and were filthy, soot caked and many had to be cut down to size. They made the roofs look as if they'd been there 100 years but my wife wasn't happy with the state I came home in every night.
They are certainly going to look sleek when the white bloom is washed ff with the rains. I did clean some up, but was too time consuming to do what will happen naturally. People passing thought I’d used reclaims to give a ‘been there a long time look’. The missus likes it that they are not shiny like the ones I bought last week to top up.

DBT85":215zxj85 said:
Are they legit real slates or dodgy knockoffs like the ones I'm planning on getting?

They’re dodgy knock off Marley Thrutone. I bought 440 singles and 12 doubles from the Bay For £250, leftover from a job. I stored them standing and water had dripped on some of the packs. When it dries slowly the salts leech, but is not permanent. Once laid they are really solid, let’s face it, in many places they are three layers thick and two layers every where else. My roofer recons they can be walked on with soft shoes if you’re light enough and walk on the rafter, but I’m not going there, I ain’t light and I don’t know where the rafters are. I won’t even stand up on the battens. My final exit last night was down the roof shuffle bum, my scaffold, ladder and easier exit was that side. Strangely having the bloom on then made them quite grippy. I have worked out a fitting and exit strategy for tomorrow, we’ll see if it’s a workable plan when I’m down(up?) to the last row and ridge. :roll:

Sheptonphil":2de6alcn said:
DBT85":2de6alcn said:

They’re dodgy knock off Marley Thrutone. I bought 440 singles and 12 doubles from the Bay For £250, leftover from a job. I stored them standing and water had dripped on some of the packs. When it dries slowly the salts leech, but is not permanent. Once laid they are really solid, let’s face it, in many places they are three layers thick and two layers every where else. My roofer recons they can be walked on with soft shoes if you’re light enough and walk on the rafter, but I’m not going there, I ain’t light and I don’t know where the rafters are. I won’t even stand up on the battens. My final exit last night was down the roof shuffle bum, my scaffold, ladder and easier exit was that side. Strangely having the bloom on then made them quite grippy. I have worked out a fitting and exit strategy for tomorrow, we’ll see if it’s a workable plan when I’m down(up?) to the last row and ridge. :roll:

Ahh I did wonder, I'd seen the eernit as an alternative to the Cembrit. Didn't even think to check ebay for a bargain. That's nearly half price you paid!

Now the important question, how many boxes of nails and the other wee jobbies have you used?

What did you use on the ridge? some of the options are absurdly priced when see one normal slate is a quid.

DBT85":3qw5zqy8 said:
Ahh I did wonder, I'd seen the eternit as an alternative to the Cembrit. Didn't even think to check ebay for a bargain. That's nearly half price you paid!

Now the important question, how many boxes of nails and the other wee jobbies have you used?

What did you use on the ridge? some of the options are absurdly priced when see one normal slate is a quid.

I opened my third kilo of copper nails today, I reckon they will finish the job without too many left. The rivets I bought a box of 1000, and will use only maybe half that. They’re not overly expensive, so no great shakes. The tiles on the starter courses, edges and tops don’t get one, so not quite one for one and I think I’ll come in at 540 slates in total.

Now, the ridge, those absurdly expensive ones, Hmm, yes, that’s the ones. I looked at several from £18 upwards. Luckily my ridge goes the short side, 4m long. Had my ridge been the 9.4m length (the way yours is orientated) I may not have used them due to cost. By the time you work out Dry ridge fixing kits, and the low profile, I went with these Marley ones as they are made the same pitch as the roof, dry laid, mechanically fixed and fibre cement the same as the tiles. They were £44 a piece, and I needed five of them including the stop end. So £220 instead of £90 but they come in a 25degree profile. I used roofingsuperstore for all the fittings and extra slates. You have to be careful of delivery costs there though. Order Marley eaves vent kit, delivery is £75!!!!!! Choose Danelaw Hambleside vent kit and delivery is free. I queried delivery with them and they are a bit like Amazon, several companies selling through their portal. Even though Mike detests the verge trims, in my setting they do give a neat edge to the roofline and make the verge edge water and wind proof. In a rural setting, they probably wouldn’t look as good as bargeboard. No external maintenance to the roof or cladding is what I am aiming for, and that is costing me now, but I simply won’t have easy access to do it routinely over the years.

Ahh that's great info thanks. I kept seeing the nails sold by the kilo and I was just thinking "great. So many do I arsing need!"

Yes the ridge is the one I have to think on. There are so many options and I'm not really sure. I too had looked at roofing superstore or was it roofingmegastore.

Probably a dumb question, but did you look at the Cembrit ones? They just screw on.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/sea ... +dry+ridge

Also, were the first 2 courses cut from one tile? I think I've seen that for the Cembrit ones.

DBT85":o9abgbqb said:
Ahh that's great info thanks. I kept seeing the nails sold by the kilo and I was just thinking "great. So many do I arsing need!"

Yes the ridge is the one I have to think on. There are so many options and I'm not really sure. I too had looked at roofing superstore or was it roofingmegastore.

Probably a dumb question, but did you look at the Cembrit ones? They just screw on.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/sea ... +dry+ridge

Also, were the first 2 courses cut from one tile? I think I've seen that for the Cembrit ones.
There’s approx 520 nails per kilo, I’ll probably use 1200 of the 1500. The cembrit in 25degree were listed as unavailable when I placed my order. With no lead times I just went with the Eternit duo pitch 25degree at £32 +vat. They are 900mm long, the cembrit are 500 I think. These screw on with two 60mm tec screws each side.

The two base courses are cut from one tile, 245mm and 355mm. You will also end up cutting loads of the doubles, I had a James Hardie carbide tipped knife I bought when installing cement backer board in a shower enclosure, this is the perfect tool for the job. I cut all the tiles on my lap sat on the roof. Five draws of the knife and you get a clean snap every time, no mess, no dust, every cut perfect. You can’t be up and down a roof every time you need a cut tile. You’ll need a 10 pack of HSS 4mm drills, they lose their edge after 20-30 holes, and you’ll be drilling a lot of 4mm holes.

Day started by cutting the ridge tiles. I cut four of the tiles, the stop end tile can’t be cut and was left at 900mm as you’d remove the overlap tongue, the distance left to the house wall was 3000mm, I made the remaining four ridge tiles the same length at 750mm rather than having a short tile on the end. It was then time to lay more slates. I was optimistic, too optimistic perhaps , I was going to lay all the slates today.

A little slower going as I was working to the abutment wall which was awkward, but not particularly difficult as I was working against the angle of lay. In the end, I managed all but 50 slates, so they will be finished tomorrow along with fitting the ridge tiles, weather permitting.

Scaffold Tower is due for return tomorrow, no problem as it’s not really being used now, it’s done it’s job. I have a decent trestle ladder to do the guttering off.

48A1F0EB-4463-4464-852A-8D637CDD0740.jpeg
D5F394F6-6C72-4618-826B-7CF6F3F280B2.jpeg

Attachments

• D5F394F6-6C72-4618-826B-7CF6F3F280B2.jpeg
    D5F394F6-6C72-4618-826B-7CF6F3F280B2.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 138
  • 48A1F0EB-4463-4464-852A-8D637CDD0740.jpeg
    48A1F0EB-4463-4464-852A-8D637CDD0740.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 139
Well, the rains never came last night as promised, I had covered the last hole just in case.
A late start today, but was eager to crack on with the last fifty slates. I started in earnest and it soon become apparent I had too much material on the roof to move at all. I needed a system of clearing space but keeping sufficient slates handy so I wasn’t taking fifteen minutes a slate. I had spoken with my roofer, who is still not working and understands the verge situation. He advised if I was careful, I could put a padded ladder on the finished side. He did quantify this with ‘if you break a slate it’ll be a pig of a job to replace it’

I had removed a bedroom carpet the same week as doing the foundation and the recycle centre was shut from that weekend. I still had the roll of carpet, so cut two twenty inch strips three metres long. These I cable tied to each half of my extension ladder and put the roof hooks on one half. I borrowed another ladder to have access at the front stub wall. Having tied the access ladder to Two 4x2’s specially mounted under the fascia to throw the ladder clear of the slate line, I took my first padded ladder up on the roof. I locked this to the access ladder. This was bum twitching time, as not only did I have the ladder there it had to then be converted to a storage platform for the slates. I used spare wall ties placed under the ladder with the short L sticking up between the rungs. I then placed the second ladder with roof hooks up along side it. This meant I could now unload the roof on to my platform, take down any excess and give me a clear working space.

This worked fine for the next three rows, I then found I was running up to the ridge behind me. As the first four slates had met ridge line, I put the ridge vent roll on the slates and fitted the first of the ridge tiles. As each third tile reached the ridge, I added another ridge tile. Agin this was fine for the first three ridge tiles, then I came to an empasse. I had completely run out of space with three rows of 6.5,6 and 5.5 tile to lay. Time to reorganise the loading. The hooked ladder became the storage and the storage ladder became a crawl ladder, with me face down leaning over the ridge to lay the final three rows. This of course would have been easy had this been verge side, and I had verge access. To lay the tile and a half slates is not as straightforward as a standard slate. There is a need to drill six holes in the correct places, and pass a copper rivet through one from underneath, hold it with extended arms hanging over a ladder And align the slate on to the rivet fixed in the previous row. Cue loads of swear words as the rivet bounces down the roof three times.

I place my knee in the wrong place and snapped one of the top tiles on the front ridge. No great problem simple to remove that one as it was the very top tile, but I had no spares on the roof, so that was a climb down and back just for not watching where I was moving to.

Some shuffling around of the ladder positions and I was able to fit the remaining two ridge tiles. Hurray!!!!!!!! :D :) :D one roof finished, all I had to do was clear the tools and ladders away without breaking anything on the way down.

The last fifty tiles were a logistical nightmare, I nearly gave in till I figured out I needed to dump a load of material out the way and then work out where to and how. Reminded me of the fox, chicken and grain, trying to juggle everything having it segregated, but to hand.

If you are thinking of a wide, tall roof, with no access to the verge, and using tiles of any description, get yourself a large drink, sit down and have a good talk to yourself. Then, choose a nice sheet material to use like Coroline.

The hire company were too busy to collect the scaffold, so whilst it’s off hire, I stored it where it was, and as it was in the way, I used it to add the guttering to the garden side. :wink:

A weekend to clear the site again, before the next phase, the cladding.
710B476D-1D87-4161-8F97-C2514659A79C.jpeg

1F5916DE-E28C-460C-A488-5CDFD55FD75C.jpeg

FA86960C-613D-4C57-BE33-76FD75B74718.jpeg

51DFD577-EA56-4261-A2F9-13C87ABFB1F8.jpeg

Attachments

• 1F5916DE-E28C-460C-A488-5CDFD55FD75C.jpeg
    1F5916DE-E28C-460C-A488-5CDFD55FD75C.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 200
  • FA86960C-613D-4C57-BE33-76FD75B74718.jpeg
    FA86960C-613D-4C57-BE33-76FD75B74718.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 51DFD577-EA56-4261-A2F9-13C87ABFB1F8.jpeg
    51DFD577-EA56-4261-A2F9-13C87ABFB1F8.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 710B476D-1D87-4161-8F97-C2514659A79C.jpeg
    710B476D-1D87-4161-8F97-C2514659A79C.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 181
Wow that sounds like it was a fun day. How many fingers in your drinky glass this evening? Haha.

Did you calculate how many tiles you'd need and ordered x extra or did you just use the sqm calculation and then add x? How many did you waste from mistakes or testing that gravity was still working?

It's the last big thing I need to order now!

DBT85":3q37j07l said:
Wow that sounds like it was a fun day. How many fingers in your drinky glass this evening? Haha.

Did you calculate how many tiles you'd need and ordered x extra or did you just use the sqm calculation and then add x? How many did you waste from mistakes or testing that gravity was still working?

It's the last big thing I need to order now!
Mr Bacardi is going down nicely tonight.

Working out by sq m is ok, but I worked out I’d use 13.5 slates per row, and twenty rows per side. I ignored the 1m notched bit. That gave me 540 Each row was going to have a tile and half one end or the other, so that’s 20 a side, 40 in total, these 40 account for 60 standard slates. So, 480 plus 40 doubles Then two starter courses, which actually take you nowhere, 13 each side as you get two pieces from each tile. Now 506 plus 40 doubles. Add a finish row at the ridge, again going nowhere in height, 26 more, you only get one out of a tile. Now 532 plus 42. Gravity didn’t claim any, but shuffling up the roof as I fixed them I sat on the edges of some that were loaded in such a way I was falling over myself on the firs side, cost me four or five, some were even then salvaged for starter course on second half. I’d already got 440 and 12 From eBay, so purchased a further 90 and 30 (both were only available in multiples of 15).

My thinking was I had built a buffer in by ignoring the 1mx2m cutout, I had the 530 plus 42.

I have 36 of the latest singles left over and no doubles left, they worked out spot on. Careful ordering doubles, you can pick singles up easily, doubles are harder to come by. Add a few more Doubles, they can be used as two singles if need be later.

Using the Hardie carbide knife, there were no breakages at all.

However, as I was tidying the leftovers, the missus said “if they’re spare they will look nice on the summerhouse” (hammer) but that’s for another day.

Ah she comes out with some pearls eh!

I've basically drawn out the entire roof and have exact numbers, bar the first course, last course and then the ones to go under at the verge like Mike did on his.

So should be easy enough to calculate. I suppose one happy thought is that even if you are short, the roof is still water proof until some arrive.

I also ordered the carbide jobbie at about 1am this morning. :shock:

Did you get anything specific for roof or wall membrane or just anything that said "breathable membrane"?

DBT85":2k7ko2y0 said:
Ah she comes out with some pearls eh!

I've basically drawn out the entire roof and have exact numbers, bar the first course, last course and then the ones to go under at the verge like Mike did on his.

So should be easy enough to calculate. I suppose one happy thought is that even if you are short, the roof is still water proof until some arrive.

I also ordered the carbide jobbie at about 1am this morning. :shock:

Did you get anything specific for roof or wall membrane or just anything that said "breathable membrane"?
I used this membrane it came as 135gsm, it’s really tough as it’s designed for roofing, and so can be used for walls. The two 50m rolls were £97 total. It’s 1.5m wide. I’ve probably got 10m left. Superb membrane, espescially at the price, kept the rain out ten days ago and water just beads on the outside.

Latest posts

Back