New workshop for 2020

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DBT85":2e3i22ev said:
Yeah I can imagine as you're clambering over the top your were a little happier that you had that double top plate and 400c studs haha.
Oh, I’ve put more bracing in since then, I’ll add some pictures tomorrow of the extra bracing and extra steel ties, just in case. :D

Sheptonphil":3qhd0cgd said:
DBT85":3qhd0cgd said:
Yeah I can imagine as you're clambering over the top your were a little happier that you had that double top plate and 400c studs haha.
Oh, I’ve put more bracing in since then, I’ll add some pictures tomorrow of the extra bracing and extra steel ties, just in case. :D
It'll be all bracing and no space for tool if you carry on!

Lons":zak6hp2u said:
=D> Looking really good now, it's a great feeling when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, hope the weather holds for you as it's not safe when the slates are wet.

Is it the missus stops you working on Sundays Phil?
Hi Lons, yes, the management doesn’t like me making a noise to irritate the neighbours.

It’s probably as well, I’d get so involved in the project to the detriment of everything else that needs doing, the little jobs that takeS months like the latch on the side gate that need two screws, evidently I can put five hundred in the workshop build, but not two in the gate latch!

Managed to get the verge profile fitted this morning, then set out the first three courses of slates to give the double lap.

The profile covers the batten ends and holds the edges of the slates down as well as sealing the verge edge. It’s one continuous length from ridge to gutter, with an overhang wide enough to put the cladding edge profile into.
31318CAA-11CF-4976-98FE-738A214EED6C.jpeg

I thought it would be a fairly quick laying of slates after that, but no, it was painfully slow. I managed the first three rows off the scaffold, then it was time to hop on the roof. That’s where my planning fell apart. I had far too many slates in the way and I couldn’t move for them. It seems they all needed to be three rows higher and more to the right. So the next hour was spent shuffling them about to give me working room, and let the space be self creating as I go up the roof. The system works now, but ate into the afternoon so much I only achieve a fraction of the roof. Still, this is a marathon not a sprint, so at least I can approach it on Monday with a decree of knowledge I didn’t have before as far as a system.

3A37DA73-DB6D-4BDD-9344-4E4CA74AC1DC.jpeg

Shows the verge profile in place.

8089A4DF-7C69-43BC-9984-6D03923A74DC.jpeg

Still going to come to an empasse eventually, but the way I was working I think I can tile the whole roof and escape over the ridge. Then do the same the other side, and by then I should be able to work out a safe escape route. We’ll see how that pans out next week.

Still a good weeks’ progress though. Weather looks like it’s going to hold dry for the next week as well.

Attachments

• 3A37DA73-DB6D-4BDD-9344-4E4CA74AC1DC.jpeg
    3A37DA73-DB6D-4BDD-9344-4E4CA74AC1DC.jpeg
    471 KB · Views: 118
  • 8089A4DF-7C69-43BC-9984-6D03923A74DC.jpeg
    8089A4DF-7C69-43BC-9984-6D03923A74DC.jpeg
    528.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 31318CAA-11CF-4976-98FE-738A214EED6C.jpeg
    31318CAA-11CF-4976-98FE-738A214EED6C.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 95
DBT85":32d2jr1t said:
It'll be all bracing and no space for tool if you carry on!
All the extra was in the roof space against gable end and house wall, plenty of room for play equipment.

There must be a reason that escapes me but would it have been better to start at the lower right corner and then end up at the left upper corner? Same for the other side so the last few slates would take you off at the outside peak without having to be on any slates at the end?

Pete

Inspector":wdwzxdh8 said:
There must be a reason that escapes me but would it have been better to start at the lower right corner and then end up at the left upper corner? Same for the other side so the last few slates would take you off at the outside peak without having to be on any slates at the end?

Pete
That would have been the ideal way had I have had access outside the gable end for a scaffold, but that is one luxury I don’t have. I am within a gnat’s whisker of the boundary and the best I could maybe have achieved was a ladder at ridge point from neighbours garden(he sighted gable line when the uncut battens were there and reminded me that three battens were over the boundary, he didn’t realise they were going to be cut back). I am not sure that would be a safe way of doing it, I’ll find a safer solution house side. This first half I can do the final two rows from over the ridge, before starting the second side. I don’t want to push my luck with next door, we only moved in in January, and have negotiated access for ladder to apply the cladding by renewing all the fence at our cost.

Thanks. Your neighbour is a jerk. Someday when he wants access through your property you remind him of this. Then decide if you want to get even, be just as big a jerk and deny him or or let him and be the bigger man. Some people never learn you reap what you sow.

Pete

MikeG.":1btkgtk0 said:
Hmmmm......that verge profile is awful. That would rather spoil the roof for me, I'm afraid.
Why’s that Mike? Would you have used a cloaking board and cement fill?
The only bit showing is the red line. I used a profile for the very reason I will not be able to get back to it in the future, so wanted something maintenance free.
D95BD884-ECFE-4C00-B499-FD85A6C9511B.jpeg

Attachments

• D95BD884-ECFE-4C00-B499-FD85A6C9511B.jpeg
    D95BD884-ECFE-4C00-B499-FD85A6C9511B.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 222
Not with slate, no. The pointing always fails with slate as there isn't enough texture for it to get hold of. No, I would have taken the cladding material hard up to the underside of the overhanging slate.

I hate plastic on a building, and there are positions no doubt where the only thing you can see of the roof is a strip of black plastic.

Here's my workshop from the rear: I used a little verge board over the feather-edge board because of the overhang:

5TW8DIH.jpg

Didn’t even consider taking the cladding tight to the underside. I guess I could have cut battens short, used a 3x1 to batten out verge and cover end of slate battens then tile over hang.

Oh well, it’s on now, and the only person who will actually see is is the neighbour. I did try for aluminium, but that’s like rocking horse poo to find.

Inspector":1pgtaed3 said:
Thanks. Your neighbour is a jerk. Someday when he wants access through your property you remind him of this. Then decide if you want to get even, be just as big a jerk and deny him or or let him and be the bigger man. Some people never learn you reap what you sow.

Pete
To a great extent it’s my fault building to the boundary, it was a calculated risk. If I’d have come in 600-800mm from boundary it would have been easier, but at a too big a loss of space inside. I can work around somehow, when it’s built and occupied I don’t have to sidle up to him any more, and I’ll have the maximum space possible.

I can bite tongue for a while.

Sheptonphil":3sb4hf4j said:
Inspector":3sb4hf4j said:

Pete
To a great extent it’s my fault building to the boundary, it was a calculated risk. If I’d have come in 600-800mm from boundary it would have been easier, but at a too big a loss of space inside. I can work around somehow, when it’s built and occupied I don’t have to sidle up to him any more, and I’ll have the maximum space possible.

I can bite tongue for a while.

While it doesn't apply now during a new build you do have legal rights, just as he does, to enter a neighbours land should you need to carry out essential repairs to your building in future. You should ask for permission preferably in writing but can get a grant of access via a court if he refuses. Not good for neighbour relationships but he sounds as if he's an unreasonable type anyway.
I have great neighbours but over the years I've done favours for all of them so it would be difficult for them to be like yours. :wink:

I had an issue years ago when building a granny extension so a severely disabled mum could live with her daughter, it was on the boundary, neighbours were hugely opposed even though it included removal of an unsightly asbestos clad garage but they got planning and party wall permission and we worked entirely from my customer's property which was very difficult especially pointing up brickwork and keeping their side clean. We needed to cut off some large overhanging branches from one of their trees and they came out screaming and threatened us with violence until I politely said " the branches are your property, I'll drop them over the fence into your garden for you unless you would like us to dispose of them for you without charge". :lol:
Also needed to erect a small fence between adjoining concrete drives and I served notice that we would need to step on to their drive for a very short period to finish the final panels, they called the police when I did that and the cop just rolled her eyes at them.

It was a horrible job as they did many other things like park a car to stop deliveries, sit outside with neighbours and make loud snide remarks and much worse but it just spurred us on to be polite and professional and the end result when we saw the delight on the face of the old lady with no legs was well worth the harassment we endured.

He's not a total knob, he is letting me use a ladder for cladding. There is a large flower bed along his side, I can understand him not wanting it trashed with scaffold. Like your couple of jobs, it would be easier, but not a problem.

Sheptonphil":16yihpou said:
He's not a total knob, he is letting me use a ladder for cladding. There is a large flower bed along his side, I can understand him not wanting it trashed with scaffold. Like your couple of jobs, it would be easier, but not a problem.

You're going about it the right way Phil, you have to live in harmony with neighbours and he probably was nervous about how your building would look and whether it would impact on his property, once it's all done and he sees you haven't damaged his garden he'll be happy. Maybe invite him in to have a look over a beer as most blokes are interested in workshops.

Lons":ysvxcm13 said:
Sheptonphil":ysvxcm13 said:

You're going about it the right way Phil, you have to live in harmony with neighbours and he probably was nervous about how your building would look and whether it would impact on his property, once it's all done and he sees you haven't damaged his garden he'll be happy. Maybe invite him in to have a look over a beer as most blokes are interested in workshops.

He’s been round to see the progress a couple of times and we converse over the fence whilst I’m on the ladder or roof, and you can judge the conversation that whilst it is friendly in a civil way, he has major reservations about the whole build size, and while it’s bigger than he thought it would be, he is more reserved and worried than objectionable. Some people are just less open. He always ends the conversation with a polite comment.

I really have pushed the envelope with this, the biggest visual impact is from his side. All I have is a nice sloping roof, all there is from the road view is a nice sloping roof, he has a 9.5 metre gable wall 4.5 metres to ridge. :shock: He’s a very introvert person and like to keep to him self. I need the access for cladding more than roof, so I’m holding that card to play then, rather than water him off and then not have that access for later.

It’s a shame the workshop wasn’t being built the other end the house, that neighbour would have put the scaffold up for me, and done half the work just for the fun of it. He is a site first fix chippy and garage warrior, I have popped round to him several times when I hear the table saw going. He has offered to come over if I need help. During this time, I cut all the grass for the verges around our road as council isn’t doing it, and as I walk by I do any neighbours who want it done. We get on really well with all of them.

There is a clause in our deeds about right of access for maintenance, but of course not for construction.

A break on Sunday, but back to the front roof today.

Once I’d settled in to a routine it was fairly good going for thirty minutes until I saw a 11 tonne lorry drive by and turn into our road. Can’t be my cladding, that’s not due till Wednesday, and I’m not expecting anything else, so I carried on. Three
minutes later, a shout up from below, “delivery for you”. :(

Yep, the cladding turned up two days early. I couldn’t find a forklift truck anywhere in the back garden, so it was a handball job from the lorry 60 yards to the workshop. Luckily the driver was superb, instead of kerbside drop which is all he’s obliged to give, he helped carry the 100 lengths plus trims right to the workshop. He left happy with a good drink in his back pocket. :eek:ccasion5: :eek:ccasion5:

At 10kg a length that’s another tonne to go on the structureView attachment 39

Then back on to the roof.

Worked steadily up the extended roofline and cut the tile around the profile and over the gutter line for the stub wall. This worked out perfect, there will be the double lap for the first row above the gutter, exactly as if it was a starting fascia.
This roof is South facing and working in full sun is like a bake house, the slates absorb the heat as well and it was like sitting in an oven.

Probably why I had to go back one row in a place where I found I’d fitted one slate inside out. :roll:

By end of day a big chunk of the roof was done, but moreover, I now know how I can finish the slates on both sides without access to the gable end. When fitting the rows, With judicious balancing I can work the row below the one I’m supported on.
883CDA6F-61CA-4C39-A577-5CE8125E4859.jpeg

1B1C6F2C-588F-449D-88A5-3B827DF43AF6.jpeg

Attachments

• 39F1416F-BF32-40F8-BDA9-04CE551AB08F.jpeg
    39F1416F-BF32-40F8-BDA9-04CE551AB08F.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 883CDA6F-61CA-4C39-A577-5CE8125E4859.jpeg
    883CDA6F-61CA-4C39-A577-5CE8125E4859.jpeg
    551.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 1B1C6F2C-588F-449D-88A5-3B827DF43AF6.jpeg
    1B1C6F2C-588F-449D-88A5-3B827DF43AF6.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 178
Nice to have it even if early!

What did you go for in the end for the cladding? Normal treated feather edge?

How have you found doing the slates overall?

DBT85":sdz066wc said:
Nice to have it even if early!

What did you go for in the end for the cladding? Normal treated feather edge?

How have you found doing the slates overall?
Due to the proximity to boundary I had to build 'predominantly non combustible'. I specified fireproof plasterboard inside, rockwool insulation and Hardie Plank fibre cement cladding. Our authority accepts this combination meets the criteria, although it may not meet that classification with all planning authorities. It added about £1200 (hammer) to the cost of as against timber cladding, the worst case scenario was my workshop burned down taking £300 worth of fence with it, but them's the rules. it is ready coloured in twenty one colours so we could pick one that blends with the house and is guaranteed to not require maintenance for 15 years at least.

The Marley Thrutone slates are ok to fit, but never having fitted anything except sheet roofing before (the last one was box profile metal) there is a real learning curve firstly to lay out the first three rows, then nailing firm enough to set the slate but not so hard you trap the disc rivet and cant align the next row because the rivet is in slightly the wrong place. loading out the slates on to the roof caused more problems, I didn't have a clear diagonal working path so had to adjust loading to make it possible to have working room and slates to hand. One big learning curve.

Have worked out the system now and the slates went on well yesterday. the roof is about 520 slates in total, so its quite slow going. I'll never make a roofer, I think I'm too fussy, in the videos, its two nails, bend the rivet, slate on, two nails, bend the rivet.... Mine is like that but in slow motion, I'm looking for perfect alignment probably to too great an extent. Should hopefully finish off the first side today, maybe make a start on the second. Sheet roofing would have been a whole lot easier, but I had to use slates to match the house roof, so no choice.

Latest posts

Back