New workshop design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Garnham":3693l23b said:
John,

The PT is standing next to the table saw.

Mike

Mike
You should get a combi with a sliding table and a spindle for that space.

Thats how I do it and it works well for me

Sorry, Mike. You are right about Alan wanting to visit and photograph other workshops but, I was actually referring to this thread. With the way Alan has worded his initial post, it could be read that he has some contacts within the TV/Production world and may be able to pull some strings if there was demand and ideas for a new woodworking show...

What I was getting at was that, while a lot of the stuff you would expect to see in such a programme can be viewed for free on YouTube and many other sites and blogs. How often do you see a proper workshop build in video???

Documenting this build on the forum in its own right would be of great benefit to all users of this forum. No doubt, it would have to be made a 'Sticky'. But, if Alan and yourself were both interested and he was able to make things happen... I just thought it might have been worth a PM, that's all. :)

...You've already got the "celebrity" status of being a former England cricketer... That would surely work in your favour! :D

...Clearly, you didn't see Tommy's Ultimate Workshop in 2006, either!! :roll: :wink:

Back to the discussion...

I agree with other comments in that your table saw and planer look too close to the finishing area. It does come down to what you intend to work with mostly (length-wise) but, you do appear to have a generously large floor space between there and the log store.

OPJ":21lba4mu said:
...You've already got the "celebrity" status of being a former England cricketer... .

Well, England under 15 and under 19, and some others.......but not a proper England cricketer.

As for the workshop build, I can't see that it would make exciting TV or youTube fodder, but if anyone wanted to point a video camera at it I would happily make them the odd cup of tea!

Mike

Here is a stretched version of the above sketch, giving a better idea of the roof I have in mind.

4258049880_464c62550a_o.jpg

Mike

Ah, okay. Sorry, Mike. I've never been in to cricket so, I didn't realise. :oops: Even though, I still recognised your name when I was first saw you posting at GWW.com... Technically, you have still represented your country though! :wink:

Walsh's Workshop proved to be quite popular, as far as one could tell from the discussions that occurred on this site, four-years ago now. It ended with a great feeling of anger and disappointment - not only did he kit out the downstairs with Axminster budget-range of machinery but, above that, he fitted a mezzanine floor with a huge plasma TV and stereo, etc.!! :x He suggested he would quite literally sit up their watching TV, with the sounds of someone banging nails and sawing wood blasting out the speakers in the background (to keep his wife quiet).

I be he hasn't used the space as a workshop since. :? At the end of the program, he revealed this Aston Martin he'd just bought - I bet it became nothing more than a luxury garage after all! :roll:

So, while there is interest, we clearly haven't seen it done properly. Actually, I think The Wood Whisperer is going to document his build either this year or next [I personally don't see what's wrong with his current three-car garage... :roll:]. Then again, he is American and you know what that means with regards to 'unsafe working practices'... :twisted:

OPJ":3g3frvmx said:
Ah, okay. Sorry, Mike. I've never been in to cricket so, I didn't realise.

It's not you who should apologise Olly, Its the bl**dy selectors! :D OK, just kidding...there was always someone a bit better than me around through my career. Alan Knott, Bob Taylor, Jack Russell......ho hum.

If I had to adopt completely safe working practices to build this shed, Olly, then maybe I might not be the best candidate for a video :D :D :D

Mike

Mike Garnham":10z9srwl said:
As for the workshop build, I can't see that it would make exciting TV or youTube fodder, but if anyone wanted to point a video camera at it I would happily make them the odd cup of tea!

Mike

it could be like grand designs only smaller - "modest designs" maybe

(actually as an aside i quite like the modest designs concept as a tv series - self builds by people who didnt spend the national dept of a small latin american country)

perhaps more realistically you could do an article on the build for nick (gibbs) or may be a column if its going to be a drawn out process

big soft moose":3tgqkftb said:
perhaps more realistically you could do an article on the build for nick (gibbs) or may be a column if its going to be a drawn out process

Now that is a thought......quite do-able.

Mike

Hay to have a workshop this size would be a dream for most of us, wish it was mine, one thing I'M now looking ti install a little late I know is a wood burner, may be heating is something you will need to consider, wish I had and I will install something before next winter believe me.

Gary

Gary,

this will be pretty well insulated, so I expect that an oil-filled electric radiator will keep it nice and toasty.

Mike

Mike,

that is going to be one nice workshop,you should congratulate your archictect on a nice set of plans :lol:

One observation,if you are going for heavy bits of kit re the P/T and T/S,and your dislike towards moving machinery about perhaps siting the two further apart. As your drawing shows them together,I realise that it is not set in stone,but I personally like to be able to walk around both my T/S and P/T,but I guess everyone is different.

Will be a nice one to follow if you do WIP's,good luck on the build.

Mark.

Mark,

I've never used a tablesaw, so I had no idea I might need access all round. I'll play with that when I get it, but think I have enough room to split them up a bit if necessary. However, with my PT I have never needed access to the "back", except when I stripped the whole thing when I bought it.

For a table-saw novice, can you explain why I would need to have access all round?

Mike

Mike,

not telling you how to set your shop up,but depending on what saw you buy,they some times have access panels for wiring or cleaning out etc, etc.
And if the law of sod works for you as it does me! then when you cant get to something is usually the time you need to, so working on that scenario I just thought I might mention it.
Also if you decide to cut sheet materials on the T/S will they clear past the fence on the P/T,again just a thought.

Mark.

Mike,

I'd definitely consider keeping a clear space in front of and behind the saw (that's a no-brainer! :roll:). As you've got a radial arm saw though, I guess you won't be using it for cross-cutting often and I can think of any operation where you would need to operate the saw from the right-hand side, effectively behind the rip fence... :) However, this does partly depend on the extraction set up of your model and how the crown guard is attached. Ideally, it won't be one that's attached to the riving knife! :wink: It should have a hose running from the guard down toward the right-hand side of the machine... If it goes behind then, it will get in the way when you're trying to rip something wide.

Are you having a mitre saw in this workshop? I know, you'll have the RAS but, I was just wondering.

OPJ":2cvx86jf said:
and how the crown guard is attached. Ideally, it won't be one that's attached to the riving knife!

Are you having a mitre saw in this workshop? I know, you'll have the RAS but, I was just wondering.

I'm planning on binning the crown guard and riving knife......

OK, you know I'm joking :D

I guess I won't know about extraction until I actually buy the machine, but it does sound as though I won't need any great access to the RHS of the saw. I don't expect I will use the saw for sheet material....at least, not full size ones. I am happy ripping those up with a hand held CS and a guide......and the space between the benches and the TS/ PT is big enough to do this and be able to walk around the sheet.

As you say, I won't ever need to do cross cutting because of the RAS. I have a big de Walt 12" sliding compound mitre saw, but I share it with a partner, and they eat space. I'll probably leave it with him.

Mike

Mike,

There just doesnt seem much storage space for hand tools :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is the workbench big enough for your needs it looks a bit small if I'm judging the scale correctly.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

the workbench is my current bench......it is 1700x940, and that has been fine for 25 years or more! Lots of my tools live in a chest of drawers under the other bench, a few hang on the walls, and a whole lot live on a couple of shelves behind the bench. You will notice that the bench is shown standing clear of the wall.........well, that is the width of my shelves behind it.

I think there must be some myths arising about the way I work........understandable given that I constantly tell people they don't need new tools all the time. I would say that at least 75% of my work is by hand. I use power tools for stock preparation, but thereafter it is mostly hand-work. It is just that I don't believe you need vast collections of posh tools to do this. I have a reasonable collection of tools that would be roughly the equivalent of what a village or estate carpenter would have had 150 years ago.

Mike

Chippyjoe":16fkai7e said:
Mike,

not telling you how to set your shop up,but depending on what saw you buy,they some times have access panels for wiring or cleaning out etc, etc.
And if the law of sod works for you as it does me! then when you cant get to something is usually the time you need to, so working on that scenario I just thought I might mention it.

also how are you bringing dust/chip extraction to the tablesaw . On some models the out port for below table extraction is on the back - with a hose going from there to the crown guard.

apart from that the only time i can think of when we've needed access to the back is when fitting jigs to the fence - you can do that from the front but it can be fiddly

Mike Garnham":3hwnbgf1 said:
understandable given that I constantly tell people they don't need new tools all the time. ...... I have a reasonable collection of tools that would be roughly the equivalent of what a village or estate carpenter would have had 150 years ago.

in fact given mike's stated aversion to buying new tools they probably are the tools the village carpenter had 150 years ago ! :D :D

big soft moose":3egxgenr said:
Mike Garnham":3egxgenr said:
understandable given that I constantly tell people they don't need new tools all the time. ...... I have a reasonable collection of tools that would be roughly the equivalent of what a village or estate carpenter would have had 150 years ago.

in fact given mike's stated aversion to buying new tools they probably are the tools the village carpenter had 150 years ago ! :D :D

He is the village carpenter from 150 years ago ! 8) ....Reincarnate

Back