New workshop design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, we haven't even bought the house yet, but I have already had a first stab at the workshop! I have decided to try and squeeze in just under the size that Building Control become involved, because there are a couple of adjacent trees and clay soil, so I want to avoid a costly structural-engineered footing/ slab.

I checked the rules carefully, and the size given is "under 30 sq.m floor area". Floor area is within the external wall, so, it is not slab size......and so the attached is a few square mm under 30 sq.m.

The other design criteria is that it must be in keeping with the historic buildings all around......it is within the curtilage of a listed building. This explains the "shed & extension" look, rather than just having one big roof on a rectangular building.

The sharp eyed amongst you might notice that I propose a new purchase.

Mike

4254904646_bd02a25bae_b.jpg

Dave, Dave, Dave (&, edit, BSM).......

How many times have I told you? :D :D

Yep, well spotted...there is room here to have a table saw, so it's on the agenda. No room for a lathe, I'm afraid.

Mike

jlawrence":3vc0r3hs said:
You're missing one of the most important bits - kettle/coffee making area. Or is the hatch so swmbo can pass you coffee in :)

nah think of all the water vapour out put into the 'shop - trips into the house for tea are good , it gives you a chance to unwind , warm up, and walk dust and shavings all over the carpet ;)

big soft moose":25axrgze said:
DaveL":25axrgze said:
Mike,

I can saw a table saw in there, but where is the lathe? :whistle:

hes left room for it - thats why he's got two benches :sign3:

No, you're both wrong - look at all that space in the... "log store"... I think Mike's planning to turn those logs in to bowls! :D

Seriously, Mike, this looks very good - will it be a 'proper' table saw or the resurrection of your inverted skil saw of death??? :?

Finally, you can show everyone in the Projects forum how it should be done!! :wink:

A few weeks ago in the General Chat forum, Alan Holtham was asking what we, as woodworkers, would like to see in future woodworking shows (we're assuming he has contacts)... This build would be a great one to follow - and would undoubtedly put Tommy Walsh's Ultimate Workshop to shame (that didn't go down to well with many people on here)! 8)

Mike, great workshop design, just a couple of observations:-

The window over the bench seems small, I'd want to let in as much natural light as possible.

The position of the table saw and planer seems strange as passing any long length over these machine will encroach into the finishing area, not good for keeping the dust out.

Will you have the same issue with the pillar drill and the sheet material store?

Well, we haven't even bought the house yet, but I have already had a first stab at the workshop! I have decided to try and squeeze in just under the size that Building Control become involved, because there are a couple of adjacent trees and clay soil, so I want to avoid a costly structural-engineered footing/ slab.
nice!

If the proposed layout is up for comment then compressor to the log store and bench grinder out of the finishing area spring to mind any heating proposed?
I find in my small shop i always need more space to put things to the side of what i am working on, so lots of bench/table space. Also a assembly table on castors or with lots of space around is very useful one of those things it takes no time to get use to.

Thanks for the comments, chaps.

The finishing area is only an area that I can clean up and curtain off occasionally...........how often does one actually do finishing? The whole point of that "extension" was really to make the building long enough to be able to use the planer and saw without opening doors or hatches. Thus the bench grinder living in there......although I'm not wedded to that, at all.

I take the point re. the pillar drill. I think that can be solved by turning it 45 degrees. The window over the bench......well, I like to have tools and jigs hanging on the wall in front of my bench, so any window is a bit of a nuisance. This is a compromise.

BSM......no, not Border Oak.....I'll build it myself.

Mike

OPJ":1n1vvtql said:
Seriously, Mike, this looks very good - will it be a 'proper' table saw or the resurrection of your inverted skil saw of death??? :?

Finally, you can show everyone in the Projects forum how it should be done!! :wink:

A few weeks ago in the General Chat forum, Alan Holtham was asking what we, as woodworkers, would like to see in future woodworking shows (we're assuming he has contacts)... This build would be a great one to follow - and would undoubtedly put Tommy Walsh's Ultimate Workshop to shame (that didn't go down to well with many people on here)! 8)

Sorry Olly...somehow I missed this post.

I haven't started looking at table saws just yet, but I do tend to go for solid older bits of kit, so I envisage something spinning a 12" to 16" blade in a big cast-iron table. I'll build the workshop first before I start looking on dealers sites and on eBay.

I will certainly post WIP of the construction, and may even post some decent working drawings of it so that people can have the complete run-down of my approach to these buildings. Hopefully, it will reduce the number of times that I have to tell people where the vapour barrier goes!!!

I'm not sure what you are suggesting re Alan Holtham and woodworking shows......wasn't it Alan who was planning a tour of our workshops this year?

Since posting the original drawings I have now added some really trick roof storage options, and a couple of rooflights to the southern elevation. Oh, and another roof overhang/ log store area.........and no, neither of the logstores is for a lathe!!

Mike

The only layout thing i'm not convinced about is the fold up router table - I would have a router table on wheels stored in the bottom left corner when not in use.

I would also be tempted to put wheeled bases on some of the other heavy machinery so it can be moved arround rather than having a set location - and to facilitate that i'd have another floor four socket at the left hand end.

edit: and of course the lathe wont be in the log store...... it will clearly be bolted to the bench - which is why you have specified two benches QED ;)

BSM,

I already have the fold-away router table........in everyday use in my current workshop. It works like a dream.

I have a real dislike of moving machinery around. I have held back from having a table saw until I have a workshop big enough to leave it in one place, and, from doing this drawing, I reckon that this new workshop is big enough for it to work well. I still have a couple of strategically placed hatches for the extra long stuff.

The second bench is not for a lathe........it is already in my current workshop, and is where I do glue-ups. There is no provision for a lathe in this workshop, nor anywhere in my brain!! :D

Mike

Mike Garnham":2wes5m0g said:
There is no provision for a lathe in this workshop...

Ahh I see so you'll be building an entirely seperate shop to house the turning equipment ... now it all makes sense :D

talking of ommisions you also havent left space for a big fancy cabinet to house the plane collection - i trust you are going to rectify that oversight ;)

A couple of velux roof lights would give you a good bit of natural light and where does the planer thicknesser go nice space though.

John,

funnily enough, I designed the roof today and added two rooflights. I am planning to have a vaulted section in the middle of the main body of the workshop, with two "ceilings" at either end. The area above to be storage, accessible from inside....thus the vaulted section. Having the vaulting enabled me to fit rooflights into the southfacing roof.

Literally on the back of an envelope.....

4257112285_f800a12f99_o.jpg

The PT is standing next to the table saw.

Mike

Back