New workshop build, with a difference!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dick

That looks a really nice job. Have you pre finished the cladding or is that the stain from the tanalising?

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you are soon fully recovered. I guess next time you may try to use a clamp, if possible to hold the block of wood.

This is going to be a stunning looking building once finished. Keep up the good work.

I am enjoying reading and seeing your progress.

Hi Kirk,

Have no fear, the round windows are still going to be made; exactly how is another matter :smile:

Hello Charlie,

The 'clabbords' have been finished all round in Cuprinol Garden Shades - Wild Thyme. We did go for treated boards, which came with a light brown colour.
Unfortunately, there wasn't enough overhang to enable a clamp and drill the hole, hence the religious finger :roll:

We chose to use mini rollers to apply the finish, and it works very well: but as we are coating both sides, that's 1200 metres of painting, excluding the edges :-({|= ](*,)

Regards...Dick.

Evenin’ all, (he said, with hands clasped behind his back) OK, so only the old gits will understand that :smile:

The reason for the lack of updates is due to me yet again sitting for a week staring at the wall - that was all I could manage. It was the same problem as the last four day wall stare.
I felt bloated, with lots of burping, and decidedly queasy, not to mention the head, neck and shoulder pain. This time I went to the quacks and explained how I felt, and that I had cracked my skull on a beam recently. He said that the two were not connected and treated me for IBS and did a blood test. Needless to say the medicine did pipper all, and the blood test showed everything to be ok.

At this point, I had an appointment with my chiropractor. Having explained all to her, she showed me the nerve chart, and explained about the Vagus nerve, and how it would create all the symptoms I had, when it has been squashed by the crack on the head. After two treatments I am almost back to what passes for normal :shock: one more should do it. When the body has been put out of whack, it takes a few goes before it stays in the right place.

OK, so why did my doctor not know about the Vagus nerve; was he off the day that lecture was given? Or is he just downright incompetent? As a matter of interest, we looked up this nerve, and surprise, surprise, it echoed everything that the chiropractor had said.

I offer this insight in case anyone else has similar problems after a whack on the head; don’t waste time going to the quacks, go to a chiropractor straight away and get yourself sorted out.

Right, that’s the end of Dr Finlay’s Casebook - back to the holzwerke :smile: Isn't language fascinating - in German, 'hell' means 'light'...I offer this for no other reason than it just popped into my cell. One of the joys of working with German equipment most of my life.

Having clad the back of the workshop in cool weather, and with rather high MC wood, we had no stability/shrinkage problems whilst cutting and painting (this way it can all shrink together, with luck}. Now that we have had a mini Indian summer, it’s a different matter. We would cut the featheredge to length, paint one side in the morning and the other in the afternoon - fitting it the next day, only to find that it has shrunk by at least 5mm...grrr. So, we then adopted cutting the wood slightly over length and trimming it to size and repainting the cut end, then fitting it. This gave the required length but trying to trim it with the pullsaw was problematic. The thin end of the featheredge would swing round and clamp the saw fast. I had decided to use the Dozuki as it is quick and to my amazement, I can cut a vertical cut every time - there is not a hope in hell of me doing that with a standard push saw. So it was out with the chopsuey for a quick but noisy set of cuts.

Can I just say, what a tedious job cladding is, not to mention, wrestling with boards that are now curving in every direction...more grrrr. Still, the front is finished, and we are reasonably happy with the look - apart from some differential shrinkage, which won’t be noticeable in the photo as it is small.

Today I finished the boxing in the bottom of the overhangs, another small thing that has a synergistic effect on the whole...well...to my view.

This raises the vexing question of should I just paint the overhang; or should I clad it - and how far should I stand it off - and what should I use? Please send all suggestions on £10 notes, as the total cost so far is not for the faint of wallet. And why didn’t I screw the standoffs on before I fitted the roof tiles, sometimes I can be such a muppet... now would that be Waldof or Statler :smile:
OK, I have kept you waiting long enough, here are the pics.

p1010141u.jpg

cornerdetail.jpg

Regards....Dick.

Dick, that's looking so good they're sure to raise your taxes.:(

Darn it, I just spotted something you should have included. Over your end door, you needed a good ridge beam and pulley so you can unload machin--err, haybales, yea, haybales into your barn.:)

Kirk

Hello Mick,

Don’t hold back now :smile: . You sure know how to boost a chap’s confidence.
I’ve just noticed where you are - my dad came from Wycombe.

Hi Kirk,

Blimey, If I can impress someone from the home of ‘clabbords’ I must have done something right :smile: You can tell that window tax has been rescinded :smile:
As to the lifting gear, I don’t think that my carpentry is that good. I can just see the scene - first pic, me winching a new tablesaw up in the air, second pic, workshop tilting over and flattening me :shock:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that: the work is a bit slow at the moment, as we have gardening and logging to do.

Regards...Dick.

Hi folks,

Having viewed Pond’s kitchen revamp last night - a fine first build; and having seen his lovely large pics that loaded very quickly, (even on my ‘narrow band’) I decided to play and see what I could do.

There are only a few more planks than the last post, but if you click on the pics, they come up super large without taking much d/l time.

claddingtodate.jpg

endcladding.jpg

Ho hum...back to turning trees into burnable logs - the eucalyptus splits reasonably easy, but the oak is a .......
Before anyone howls with rage at the misuse of oak, this was delivered by the Severn (at high tide :smile: ) and retrieved from our bank.

Regards...Dick.

PS. Initially, I was going to show the 'bank' but thought that it might be viewed as 'strutting my stuff' but then I thought 'what the hell'. We view it as winning the lottery,
and still can't believe our luck. I can hear Kirk referring to it as a 'drive by gloat :wink: I just like the picture, taken by Diane of course, and called 'Misty, moisty morning', after the song.

mmmza.jpg

Hello Imageel,

Thanks for that. When friends come to stay, you can see them relaxing as the 'exposure' increases :)
Mind you, when the river comes to within about 6" of the top of the argea (dike, or levee) the botty starts to pout a bit.
More so, when all that we can see between us and the hills is one giant sheet of water :shock:

Hello goldeneyedmonkey,

He he, actually, we had to rob a bank to buy this bank, don't tell anyone :lol:

Evening all....One tired puppy.

Dick, your workshop build is inspirational, I have been following this thread closely as you have been hard at work, I can only imagine. It is truly stunning and you live in a lovely location. Given the photo of your locality though, I wondered if your workshop also doubled up as an Ark? :lol: It will be a real bonus once the ice caps start melting! :wink: But seriously, lovely job and I will be looking out for your future threads entitled "First project from Dick's Workshop" and other similar titles!!!

cheers
Steve

Good Morning Dick,
Fantastic work so far, even my wife has been following this thread!
Couple of questions though, as I've been working on my own 'shop recently.
Was the v/b you used specifically for felt shingles, or can anything be used, and who did you use to supply both the shingles and underlay?
With regards the rooflights, was the flashing kit designed for your sizes or does is come in standard lengths?
I'm hoping to fit both rooflights and shingles but I seem to be going round in circles with google (internet'll never catch on!!)

Many Thanks, and looking forward to the next installment

JK

Hello Steve (Orcamesh)

Inspirational!! Ours is a humble offering compared to your monster build; and a darn sight easier to build. If we had gone for a brick building it would have taken the rest of our lives, at the rate that we lay bricks :smile: but thanks for the kind words.

You aren’t the first person to suggest that we should have built an ark, but we take a philosophical view on flooding. If it happens we will deal with it. Everything that we do in the house is designed with the last flood height in mind - plus a bit :smile: (last flood in 2000...one foot in the house).

I am determined that the ‘first project’ will be to finish the guitar that I started thirty years ago, before life got in the way. But, there are many pressing things that we need/would like to do; such as this ten metre long row of naff sheds that get lower towards the end. Even a Hobbit would bang his head :shock:

oldsheds.jpg

And not to mention building a pergola along the house, with a moon gate entrance - see below.

gardenplan1.jpg

I sometimes wonder if I will ever get to use the workshop for woodwork :shock:

Hello JK (yogibe4r)

Welcome to the madness, and I’m glad that you are both enjoying it.
Err...no, the v/b that we used on the roof was Rubershield Light. It may yet bite us in the bum, but I doubt it. There is a correct underlay for shingles, but it is expensive, so we have taken a chance. So far (one year :shock:) it has withstood very heavy rain and howling gales, and it is as solid as a rock. We bought the shingles and underlay from a local building company so no use to you. We used Iko shingles and the quality is very good.

As to the rooflights, we didn’t have a flashing kit, as I made them. We again, experimented and used Sika Multiseal sticky tape with all the overlaps done to aid draining.
So, are we going to see some pics of your build? Everyone on this site love WIPs (work in progress). If you need any more help just drop me a line, either on here or via PM.

Regards...Dick.

Dick,
Thanks for the pointers, they will definitely help.
I will compile some WIP pictures and load up very soon.
Thanks again,
JK

Cegidfa":kb9sxurk said:
Hello Steve (Orcamesh)

Inspirational!! Ours is a humble offering compared to your monster build; and a darn sight easier to build. If we had gone for a brick building it would have taken the rest of our lives, at the rate that we lay bricks :smile: but thanks for the kind words.

You aren’t the first person to suggest that we should have built an ark, but we take a philosophical view on flooding. If it happens we will deal with it. Everything that we do in the house is designed with the last flood height in mind - plus a bit :smile: (last flood in 2000...one foot in the house).

I am determined that the ‘first project’ will be to finish the guitar that I started thirty years ago, before life got in the way. But, there are many pressing things that we need/would like to do; such as this ten metre long row of naff sheds that get lower towards the end. Even a Hobbit would bang his head :shock:

oldsheds.jpg

And not to mention building a pergola along the house, with a moon gate entrance - see below.

gardenplan1.jpg

I sometimes wonder if I will ever get to use the workshop for woodwork :shock:

Regards...Dick.

Hi Dick
Well my build was brick indeed, and like you if I had done it it would have taken years too! Alas, I got proper builders in to do it. In any case, if I was to ever sell the house it had to also look like a garage, if I had built it, who knows what it would have looked like!! :lol:
The Ark thing was only my warped sense of humour, I'm not suggesting it is one, it's far too nice to be an Ark!
I think given your other two projects it could be some time before furniture production line starts! You have a lot to do there. Still life would be boring if everything was all there already, hey?

Good luck with your continuing tasks, good stuff.

cheers
Steve

Hi folks,

I can just imagine the scene, ‘he’s an old git, I wonder if he has popped his clogs. Dare we ask, or will it give offence to the new owner of an unfinished workshop’ :smile: :smile:

You can’t get rid of me that easily :wink:

We have been doing what we do best.....SKI..ing. We decided some time back that the current HiFi had to go. It hummed so loud sometimes that it became irritating, and placing the rear speakers was problematic in the ‘new’ house. The power amp weighs in at 50kg and in a flood, we wouldn’t get it out in time. After that we forgot about it until we went to SMC in Shrewsbury to have a look at a Sonos for the dining room. Whilst there I noticed that they stocked valve amps, so I asked if I could have a listen, as I have never heard one....bad move. We staggered out several hours later, having been blown away by the quality of sound - and our kit is good...we thought. So, we have been trialling an Icon Audio integrated valve amp, and even more bizarre, a valve CD player with some Made For Valves speakers. Oh dear, the kids will be disappointed on our demise :shock:

To add to their troubles, we needed to join some bargeboard parts to cover the kickouts; you guessed it, we didn’t buy a biscuit jointer....... :oops: :oops:

We had fitted the bargeboards on one end, only to find that they didn’t quite cover the soffit boxes at the inner corner, and worse, they looked disproportionate. So they were ripped off and deeper ones were fitted. Ok, so how to cut the top angle. We duly used the dangle finder, halved the result, cut and fitted the top section. Did it fit..did it .... And don’t forget, it doesn’t stop there. we have another angle to cut as well, and that went just as badly ...grrr.
The annoying thing is that I had no idea why. So, start again with wider stock. This time we clamped up the first piece then used a level to mark the vertical, and the result was better. But how to do the lower angle? We left the upper board clamped in place, having cut the angle using the angle finder, what else could we do? Having cut the lower board to the same angle we held it up in position and of course it didn’t fit. So we adjusted the angle until it fitted. The difference wasn’t wildly out, just a small annoying gap. By now we had realised that the problem was that if we fitted the board to the theoretical angle, the roof tiles didn’t have the right amount of wood overlap. Any normal person would have fitted the roof tiles over the bargeboards, not this chump. My reasoning was that the head on winds that we get, and currently have, could get under the front edge of the tiles and possibly rip them off. So I thought that if I fitted the boards high up above the tiles, they would be protected. It seems to have worked so far but what a lot of extra work. As a result, I also had to mastic down the gap between the wood and the roof, what a fun job in high winds.
The next job was to ‘fill in’ the underskirt of the overhang as it looked a bit ‘thin.’ I fitted 50 x 50 down the long sides, and three cross pieces. This was covered in 9mm ply and has had one coat of paint; it now being below the required temp. for the paint application.

bargeboardcompleted.jpg

This left me with time on my hands, so we made a door frame for the bathroom...errr using the Domino :oops: what a lovely piece of kit, and so easy to use.

Having done that I decided that we really ought to grasp the nettle and start on the round windows, as we can't fix any more cladding 'till we know the position of the window.
I started by kerfing some ply using the tracksaw; what a tedious job. Having made 70 cuts I tried flexing it and decided to cut every 12mm...really tedious, but it bent much better, but, it is really fragile. It seems that MDF works far better but as the end will be exposed to the elements, I doubt its longevity, even though heavily painted.
So I set out to make a former, rather in the manner of guitar construction.....see below.

routingfirsthole.jpg

First make two chariot wheels :smile: using a trammel bar..cough, ok, a lump of ply.
Not forgetting to join both the donor ply to the substrate it sits on, and the inside of the circle as well. Next the frame was constructed...see below.

formerassembled.jpg

All was fine until I stood it up; strewth that sucker is big....botty pouting time.

sbigk.jpg

And that is as far as I have got; I’m now waiting on a delivery of some ply to make the actual window surrounds......it may be some time, as delivering two sheets of ply 12 miles is not exactly cost effective for a company. I haven’t even finished the workshop and already I have run out of storage room........err....I need another workshop :shock:
So this means that I am back on my even less favourite job than painting...cutting and fitting insulation...oh joy.

Stand by for the next thrilling episode of ‘How not to build a workshop’ by A R Dunce.

Regards...Dick.

PS. What can I use to fill the kerfs, to make the circle stronger?

Dick, great to hear from you again :)

I cannot tell you anything about filling the, open kerfs, in the mdf.
I'm sure you've thought of this but I'm going to mention it anyway.
How about building the frames up brick wise, as on the wall of a well, or laminating the other way, a sort of laminated wrap? Wrapping might be eaiser from the outside, but could be doen from the inner.

Keep up the cracking work.

xy

Back