New workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob - Both vice cheeks are the same. Good idea, i might change them to incorporate sacrificial jaws. Holdfast? Like a record with a round collar mortised into the bench. If so, no, not at this time.

Paul - I wanted to be able to clamp up thinish pieces and still hang over edge of the bench, thats why i put the dogs where they are. If i find out they are in the wrong place, i might fill them with some contrasting timber and drill new holes.

Olly - The only thing i'm judged on on my course is the exam, which i still need to do. That would be my mug in the mag :shock:

I forgot to add that i gave the bench a coat of boiled linseed.
Will be starting my drawers this weekend if i get chance.

seanybaby":3rrxeydj said:
Paul - I wanted to be able to clamp up thinish pieces and still hang over edge of the bench, thats why i put the dogs where they are. If i find out they are in the wrong place, i might fill them with some contrasting timber and drill new holes.

No, don't fill them in. It is useful to have a row of dogs near to the front edge of the bench. My only concern was that for general work it might be useful to have a dog in the centre of the vice jaw and another row of holes so that the vice isn't continually tending to rack or twist because all the pressure is being put on one end of the vice. Another thing you could consider is making up some packing pieces to use on the other end of the vice to stop it racking. Rob (Woodbloke) posted a picture of the ones he made - I'll see if I can find it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman wrote:
Rob (Woodbloke) posted a picture of the ones he made - I'll see if I can find it.

The soft jaws I made just slipped over the existing hardwood jaws. They can be lined with anything that won't mark the job, cork is ideal, but I used the reverse side of an offcut of Nairn cushion flooring...works a treat - Rob

Oh, i got ya Paul, just another dog in the middle of vice to hold the wider stuff. I saw that pic of Rob's!! Packing pieces, to stop racking. Can't remember the thread though, maybe Rob remembers?

Cheers you 2 :eek:ccasion5:

Sean wrote:
Packing pieces, to stop racking
The thing I did that was different to a standard bench was to include a draw bolted rail at the top of the carcase at the rear. In my particular design the top (mine is 3" thick beech all thru') acts as the main brace so you would have two rectangular end frames with two connecting lower rails and the top. The addition of the third rail at the top at the back of the frame simply is a 'belt and braces' way of ensuring that the bench won't 'rack' in use - Rob

Well i finally finished my drawers. All traditionally dovetailed with MDF bottoms. Fronts are Beech to match bench and sides are Sapele. Everything has had a coat of linseed oil, which will be done again in a few weeks.

dsc03442small.jpg

dsc03443small.jpg

Great work Sean. Looks like you've also started kitting out your home workshop with machinery as well! :D

looks awesome sean, the through dovetails look nice on the front of the drawers 8)

That looks great! Must have been lots of hard work.

It makes mine look like rubbish - if you can call a piece of 25mm MDF reinforced with softwood and woodscrews a workbench :oops:.

Congratulations Sean, that looks an excellent piece of work.

Do you mind if I ask why you have used boiled linseed oil? (assuming I haven't missed something somewhere). I used to use it all the time, until I was advised by someone on another forum to try Danish Oil. I did, and got on with it so stayed with the danish.
However, a tv cabinet I made in oak in 2002 and oiled with boiled linseed has now aged and is the most beautiful golden colour, so I am contemplating going back to using linseed.
Your opinion would be appreciated.

Malc :D

Cheers guys :d

I used linseed oil as i happened to get a couple of litres for nowt. I normally use Danish oil on my furniture, although i wouldn't mind trying that osmo oil people on the forum have mentioned.

Quick question, are the runners exposed when viewed from the front? I doubt it is too noticeable as the drawers are set back and the gap is 12mm per side? Seems like a very efficient idea as you have the look of the exposed dovetails and the durability of good runners all without having to make an overhanging front, nice

Aidan

Sean,

Great looking bench!

You're lucky you can talk about using Record vices in such a nonchalant way! Here in the states, we have no easy direct access to those wonderful tools so we're left to such devices as eBay and Craig's List. I suppose we could order from the UK, but I can't even imagine trying to add shipping costs to that $250 price tag!

(Fortunately for me, I found a great 30 year old 52 1/2 in excellent working condition for just $60 (about 30 quid) a few months ago on Craig's List. A new workbench is high up on my woodworking priority list, so it will soon be put to good use.)

Cheers,

Back