New workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanybaby

Established Member
Reaction score
My next project will be a hefty workbench. It's a pretty simple design really, breadboard ends, 2 record vices, tool tray, 4 draws with those metal runners, round dog holes, stand will be right to floor and also quite high at 980mm. Stand will also be of a knock down construction.

I decided not to over complicate the design with too many features and went for a very sturdy bench that i can move if needs be. It is also a space to store all my hand tools.

workbench_3views.jpg

SP_A0113.jpg

Took me 4 hours to plane, biscuit and glue the main top.
SP_A0114.jpg

Looks good, Sean, but I think I would have been inclined to put at least one leg near to the right-hand end for a bit of extra stability and rigidity. But you could always add that afterwards if you find it necessary. Look forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Sean,
I don't really understand why the tail vice is an issue - just leave a few inches under the top for it, it doesn't mean you have to sacrifice length on your cabinet in the lower section. You'll just lose one drawer or a bit of hight in a cupboard etc.

Glad to see you're going for a knock-down construction but, really, this isn't fair - we're not allowed to make a nice bench at college because "it isn't a piece of furniture". :( :evil:

I'm looking forward to seeing this ...and perhaps stealing a few ideas for future reference! :wink: :D

I will be making the stand (draws) as big as possible thats why i'm waiting until i have installed the vices, so i know the exact biggest possible size.

OPJ - I expect you pay for your course? Of course a fancy bench IS a piece of furniture. I would go ahead with it, especially if it is the only time you are able to get good access to high quality machines. I can make whatever i want on my course. However the only piece that is marked by an assessor is a small jewelery box in the summer.

Want some help with workbenches have a browse through Lord Nibbos post https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums...s=0&postorder=asc&highlight=workbench&start=0
It gave me some good ideas towards construction. Cheers Lord :D

seanybaby":29ldteyf said:
I will be making the stand (draws) as big as possible thats why i'm waiting until i have installed the vices, so i know the exact biggest possible size.

I think your missing the point? Or Maybe I am? You are wasting a lot of space under the tail vice. You could take your drawer units right up to the edge of the table. I certainly think you should have legs there.

that's it mate, no sense in having wasted space and you'll get more support around the vice.

bigger_bench_long_draw.jpg

I have been thinking i would sooner have drawers rather than a cupboard. How wide can a draw be? On the drawing iv'e made it measures 1590mm however it would be a little shorter than that at around 1400mm. Is that too wide?

Having drawers only enables me to have my original 4 legs with k/d construction, instead of adding a middle partition.

what do you want to put in the drawers? How about slimmer drawers and a cupboard with very deep drawers inside? On my forthcoming workbench, I will use a cupboard under the bench to store a shop vac. Might be something to think about.

Sean,
You'll also need to think about any dog holes etc. you might want in the bench top.

A long hold-down inserted in a hole will foul the drawers. On my bench long hold downs can only be used in a couple of holes between two sets of drawers. Elsewhere I can and do use shorter dogs for clamping stuff on the bench top.

waterhead37":2fycs35v said:
A long hold-down inserted in a hole will foul the drawers. On my bench long hold downs can only be used in a couple of holes between two sets of drawers. Elsewhere I can and do use shorter dogs for clamping stuff on the bench top.

In which case, how about having your deeper drawers at the top?

Cheers for the advice.

I will be having 2 rows of round dog holes length ways on the bench.

I realise i will not be able to use a long hold-down.

The drawers will contain my hand tools and maybe router, jigsaw etc in the bottom bigger ones. I will be making classic draw construction with through dovetails and a ply bottom. My worry is that drawers nearly 1.5m wide could sag and produce problems. Would a muntin rail be needed in the construction?

if you are set on having drawers that wide then i'd say go with the support rail. your going to be putting heavy tooling in them.

Or stop your drawers 10-20cm or so below the bench top, leaving a gap for the vice rails, dogs, cramps, etc.

Sean I have heard great things about The Workbench Book, by Chris Shwarz. This may be a great help. With a proper hardwood bench like this, you don't want to make any expensive mistakes.

Sean,
re the wide drawers:- I'd only have one or two full width drawers for light stuff (like tee squares etc that need the width. Otherwise I would have two sets of drawers of half width - you'll only find yourself dividing up the wider drawers.

If you want drawers 1.5mm wide to carry any weight, then yes a muntin is essential in my view, otherwise the bottom will sag and probably impede the opening of the drawer underneath.

You'll also find that a good workshop vac is essential to clean out the top drawer 'cos you'll find that all sorts of crud and cr*p finds it's way down the dog holes :lol: :lol: - Rob

Back