New work shop build .... in a hurry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tusses

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I've had a little bit of a rebate, "just enough" :D , so I have decided to build my dedicated 'wood shop' that I've wanted for a while now.

I am mixed in my interests of classic cars and woodworking (and photography, but that is separate) . Trying to share the same space has been ok for a while, but recently, the recession has bitten us hard, and Ive had to push more for wood to pay the bills. there is more money in the cars ... (VW's) but a longer turn around, so wood has started to be my bread and butter.

Any whoo, I'm now going to build another 5m x 6m workshop , dedicated for wood, and the current one will be released for the longer term car work.

I hope to clear the site of cars and buildings and have a new workshop up in a few of weeks, so watch this space :D

I have about £1k budget, including insulation / heating and electrics :shock:

Pics and more to follow ...

The budget will be very tight. but I need to be in and working for that budget, even if there are a few finishing touches left to do !

Talking of finishing touches ... this is my current 'shed' that I never did get round to cladding. It's been up 7 years so far
DSC01870.jpg

DSC01871.jpg

Pis of the inside may follow later in the thread.

Today I have been charging batteries and starting vans/cars.

This is where the new 'shed' will go

DSC01868.jpg

the foremost building is my Photography Dark room. This will have to be moved forward and to the left a bit.

The tin shed will have to move to the far right.

I cleared a few cars up the garden a bit

DSC01873.jpg

to give me access to move these two nearly forgotten beetles :shock:

DSC01869.jpg

the new 'shed' will come to the the middle of where the beetles are at the moment.

I have some patio doors somewhere I need to measure, then I can order the steel cladding, which usually takes a few weeks to arrive.

In the mean time, I will be clearing the site, and building the timber frame.

Next post will probably be the moving (or the attempting of) of the darkroom.

looking forward to seeing what you can do with a grand. Hopefully i can nick some of your ideas and save my self some cash. I'm just on with a build, a touch bigger than yours at 5m x 10m but I'm only two blocks up at the moment and already £3k into it. I'm not a builder so am finding it hard to price this up in advance but I think the complete build + electrics will be near on 10K.

Good luck with it and keep the pics coming

Andy

I have are details of a workshop made out of an 'artic. trailer', I think it's a book of the best 'Fine Woodworking' articles or something. I have also been involved in the fitting out of a 32' container to provide a meeting room and site office for a prestigious building site, and well known national construction co. Given that these can quite easily be fitted out for anything you like, and are exceptionally strong, mind you they require space for access and sighting, looking at your pics I just wondered...bosshogg

I have are details of a workshop made out of an 'artic. trailer', I think it's a book of the best 'Fine Woodworking' articles or something. I have also been involved in the fitting out of a 32' container to provide a meeting room and site office for a prestigious building site, and well known national construction co. Given that these can quite easily be fitted out for anything you like, and are exceptionally strong, mind you they require space for access and sighting, looking at your pics I just wondered...bosshogg :)

Great idea, but I have no access for anything bigger than a VW van !

Hair pin drive off of a canal bridge.

andyoaks":2acn10bn said:
looking forward to seeing what you can do with a grand. Hopefully i can nick some of your ideas and save my self some cash. I'm just on with a build, a touch bigger than yours at 5m x 10m................<Snip>
Andy

Biggest hint (too late for you) is to keep to 30m Sq I.E. 5m x 6m Then you dont need to comply with building regs.

My estimated costs are

£400 for the steel cladding . - Roof and back and sides around windows / doors.
£200 ish for the timber frame.
£200 ish for the floor - 25 or 50mm polystyrene sheets and flooring grade MDF on top (may change this, depending on other costs.
The rest going on insulation and plaster board.
I have pleanty of wiring and sockets. Will need a consumer unit.
I have 'freecycle' patio doors and a few windows.
More 'free cycle' slabs for flooring if I need to cut costs there.

I have electric to the 'shed' next to it, so not cost there.
Heating - I convert gas bottles to Log burners :)

The rest is just sundries ... screws , nails , vapor barrier etc etc.

I must say, I have doubled my initial budget guestimate from £500, as prices seem to have doubled in the last 7 years or so, since I built the last one :shock:

Tusses":ft0l0li6 said:
Heating - I convert gas bottles to Log burners :)

Have you got some photo's of the gas bottles?

I have two large ones left in my garden and didn't know what to do with them.

I build my own back yard workshop last year, posted on here. It's 28 sq.m approx and cost around £6k mark. The concrete base was just over your £1k budget. Although from your breakdown you already have a slab and plan on floating floor(on insulation/kingspan) , right?
I also build under the 30sq.m rule to avoid planning but you also have a height restriction just check before you start. I'd go for 7,5x4m rather than square, helps with feeding material through machinery.
Sorry not trying to be negative, just sharing. Looking forward to your build.

Alex

Thanks Alex.

I've built 3 this size so far, over 11 yrs, at the last 3 houses I lived in. I can cut an 8x4 either way on my TS which in center position.

I also build upside down ! I.E. I put the roof up 1st (3m highest point, 1 in 16 slope ).
Then I have somewhere dry to work for the rest of the build.
Cill plates are pressure treated on pads, and I do the floor last.
The floor in my current one is only about 3" thick max, concrete on rubble and has been fine.
The last one I ran floor joists and ply on top - much nicer to stand on !
I'd be quite happy laying the floor straight off the ground. Sand to level, then moisture barrier, then polly and chipboard. After all, old houses used to have 'beaten earth' floors !

Change of plan anyway ... I've decided to keep my woodwork where I am now, and the new shed will be for working on my cars. I can then dig me a nice big pit for working under them :D
It also means I am not in a hurry to finish the inside - plasterboarding etc

I'll still post pics as I build

Alex":q5bckzaj said:
I also build under the 30sq.m rule to avoid planning

Alex

not planning - bulding regs !

planning, you can be upto half your plot area less the dwelling etc

It's the building regs conformity that gets unnecessarily expensive. Much cheaper if you keep under 30m2 as you dont have to comply.

Tusses":3fp9ai4r said:
Thanks Alex.

I've built 3 this size so far, over 11 yrs, at the last 3 houses I lived in. I can cut an 8x4 either way on my TS which in center position.

I also build upside down ! I.E. I put the roof up 1st (3m highest point, 1 in 16 slope ).
Then I have somewhere dry to work for the rest of the build.
Cill plates are pressure treated on pads, and I do the floor last.
The floor in my current one is only about 3" thick max, concrete on rubble and has been fine.
The last one I ran floor joists and ply on top - much nicer to stand on !

I'd be quite happy laying the floor straight off the ground. Sand to level, then moisture barrier, then polly and chipboard. After all, old houses used to have 'beaten earth' floors !

In the trade it's common to use a dynamic batten flooring system, sometimes referred to bye one the main Co. in this field (Proctor battens) these can be laid on Gyproc 22mm planking for fire resistance, if required, their main purpose is acoustic insulation though. Fully moisture resistant, they cut down noise and vibration transfer, not cheap but would do well in a workshop environment...bosshogg :)
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions. A. E. 8)

Just been thinking about the 30sqm rule for the regs. If your plot is big enough to stay within the 50% rule for planning then whats to stop you building a 30sqm shop with no planning and no regs and then building another 30sqm next to it without palnning or regs again and so on with conecting doors! You could then go right upto the 50% rule should you so wish. Just wondering if I have c**Ked up and should have saved my money on the regs or am I missing some thing.

After all is trusses builds his new one next to the old one would it be two 30's next to each other or 1 60sqm?

andyoaks":xc668zar said:
Just been thinking about the 30sqm rule for the regs. If your plot is big enough to stay within the 50% rule for planning then whats to stop you building a 30sqm shop with no planning and no regs and then building another 30sqm next to it without palnning or regs again and so on with conecting doors! You could then go right upto the 50% rule should you so wish. Just wondering if I have c**Ked up and should have saved my money on the regs or am I missing some thing.

After all is trusses builds his new one next to the old one would it be two 30's next to each other or 1 60sqm?

I phoned the building control and asked !
You can have them close, but one you 'joint' them, they become 1 (technically ). Even if I put a lean to greenhouse, or small entrance porch, it would go over. I suppose they have the rules just to stop exactly that loop hole.

I thought about a temporary join (that could be dismantled easily, leaving each building secure) - aligned doors in each one, but at the moment, I'm happy to keep them separate. one for wood, one for metal.

Rich

Tusses":hlre43pq said:
andyoaks":hlre43pq said:

I phoned the building control and asked !
You can have them close, but one you 'joint' them, they become 1 (technically ). Even if I put a lean to greenhouse, or small entrance porch, it would go over. I suppose they have the rules just to stop exactly that loop hole.

I thought about a temporary join (that could be dismantled easily, leaving each building secure) - aligned doors in each one, but at the moment, I'm happy to keep them separate. one for wood, one for metal.

Rich
thanks Rich, bet you think I'm bone idle after all thats what I should have done. I need to have a long hard think before I move on. If I get it right I might be able to scrap building control and save a packet, might even be a good idea to have different things in different buildings/rooms, sanding /finishing etc

andyoaks":2mvxg14c said:
thanks Rich, bet you think I'm bone idle after all thats what I should have done. I need to have a long hard think before I move on. If I get it right I might be able to scrap building control and save a packet, might even be a good idea to have different things in different buildings/rooms, sanding /finishing etc

Not at all. It's just something I have been interested in for years. .... what are the rules, and how can I use them to my advantage.

Planning and building people are usually helpful if you phone them. But I never 'take the water' ! I just want to find out what is acceptable and what isn't :)

my roof for example ... It would never meet regs, but it holds heavy snow/ I can go and walk about on it/ AND I have about 10 - 15, 1" and 2" oak and ash boards hanging off the joists inside !
its 6x2" joists, full 6m length, 1m apart, no noggins . Box profile galv clading/roofing sheets laid on top in the opposite direction.

EDIT > "Take the 'water' " lol ... thats not what I typed ! haha

Latest posts

Back