New woodwork program on the telly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I've just been reading this and when I said early on in this thread "let's all bombard discovery with emails", I never dreamed it would strike a note with so many members, I'm beginning to think along Brians's lines and maybe this kind of people power could achieve great things!
If everyone did send an email, I'm sure it would be the most popular response to any program subject that discovery channel has ever had.
They have to take notice of that don't they?

cheers,
jon.

jonny boy":30rsvska said:
Hi,
I've just been reading this and when I said early on in this thread "let's all bombard discovery with emails", I never dreamed it would strike a note with so many members, I'm beginning to think along Brians's lines and maybe this kind of people power could achieve great things!
If everyone did send an email, I'm sure it would be the most popular response to any program subject that discovery channel has ever had.
They have to take notice of that don't they?

cheers,
jon.

As Jon says, we really should bombard Discovery with emails about their poor programming. Let's just do it - what's more, let's do it - every day until they start to take notice. There is no reason why we can't send them an email every day until they do something about the problem.

At the time of writing this there have been almost 1600 views of this topic. Just imagine the impact if all the people who have looked at this topic sent an email to Discovery.

I make no apology for keep banging on about this, we really can make a difference.

Go for it.....

regards

Brian

Vormulac":h3modvjc said:
The New Yankee Workshop, The Great British Woodshop and The Cutting Edge Woodworker are good examples. "

Yes good choices, but who chooses the repeats? I've seen one programme of Norms that I've seen repeated three times in about a month now thats just too much, why they cant show some real old ones just for a change? and why do we have to wait over a year to see what the yanks are seeing now? "Discovery" it should be called "Rediscovered" :cry:

Ok, I've written the e-mail too but where to send it?

Is the automated form the only choice?

50 characters is not much use.

Gaz

brianhabby":3irzh077 said:
Well I've had a response to my email . . .Here is a copy of their reply

Dear Brian,

Thank you for contacting Discover,

Unfortunately there is (sic) no plans at present to show the new seasons of 'The New Yankee Workshop' and the 'Great British Woodshop'.

Please do not hesitate to contact us in the future on www.discovery.co.uk.

Kind Regards

Discovery Networks Europe Viewer Relations Team

When the programmers can't even write basic English there isn't a lot of hope in them being interested in quality woodworking shows! Unfortunately, or perhaps in this case fortunately, I can't comment as I've never seen any woodworking program on TV and had never heard of 'Norm' until I joined this happy throng. I have to say from what I've learnt in the last 6 months since participating here I'm not sure that I've missed much not having access to satellite or cable TV. I'd rather be in the workshop than stuck in front of the box. If I want to watch an amateur doing woodwork I suppose I could put a mirror up above my bench :wink:

Steve

Steve,
It has become fashionable to knock Norm once one has acquired a certain amount of skill but truth be told, he got many folk here interested in woodworking!

Unfortunately, we all want something for nothing and with channels maintaining services through advertising revenues, they are limited on what they can pay to support new programs. I'm sure that a premium rated channel would be able to buy new programs from the likes of Norm or The Great British Workshop, but who will pay the subscriptions, especially when the channel has such wide ranging interest groups.

A result.

We must be getting through to them, hopefully the right people pick up on this thread.

I say again the messages must be working as I have had a response from then and it's not one of your pre scripted type answers.

This is what they replied to me.

Dear David,

Thank you for contacting Discovery Real Time.

We are very sorry to hear that you have been disappointed by 'Wood Works'. We appreciate that some programmes may not suit all of our viewers' tastes. We will take note of your comments, and forward them to the relevant department on your behalf.

Kind Regards,

Discovery Networks Europe Viewer Relations Team
E002847

So come on don't give up trying for something better. :)

As Lord Nibbo says above 'come on don't give up trying for something better'.

Gaz_XB9R":1cuu379i said:
Ok, I've written the e-mail too but where to send it?

Is the automated form the only choice?

50 characters is not much use.

Gaz

When you use the form to send them a message their reply (assuming you get one) will have an email address attached, you can then reply to their reply with as long a message as you like.

For info that email address is: [email protected]

regards

Brian

Freetochat":2i8fqh4m said:
Unfortunately, we all want something for nothing

I don't want something for nothing - I'm paying for it with my Sky subscription which I think is enough already. Whatever I pay for I expect quality.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":1ytg1gbw said:
Freetochat":1ytg1gbw said:
Unfortunately, we all want something for nothing

I don't want something for nothing - I'm paying for it with my Sky subscription which I think is enough already. Whatever I pay for I expect quality.

regards

Brian

You may well get the channel via sky, but these are free to air channels that are received via the sky box as in the BBC, ITV and other channels that can be accessed. If Discovery was placed on the same footing as the movie or sports channels then perhaps the revenue would improve the programming. But then, it survives on house sales, bodged DIY and fishing the last time I looked. Apparently these are in greater demand.

Freetochat":uwgc8eoe said:
You may well get the channel via sky, but these are free to air channels that are received via the sky box as in the BBC, ITV and other channels that can be accessed.

I'm afraid not - Sky sells everything in 'mixes'. Discovery Channel, Discovery Wings and Discovery Civilization are in the 'Knowledge Mix'; Discovery Realtime and related channels are in the 'Style & Culture Mix'. If you want all the Discovery Channels, therefore, you have to buy two packages.

There are a hundred or so free channels (full list here) but most are complete rubbish.

I don't think the people at Discovery Reel Time are listening. As long as the debt consolidation / missold endowment / personal injury lawyers keep paying for advertising time, they will keep showing "Tattoo my Fish in your New House in Spain Revisited".

You could always join the three year running mud slinging that is going on in the Discovery Workshop forums:
Programme scheduling on Real Time

This is the latest reply to me. I contacted them again because I thought their first reply was somewhat generic.
This is as well but it does look like someone actually read my message this time.

"Thank you for contacting Discovery Real Time.

The majority of the programmes shown on Discovery Real Time are produced by independent production companies, including 'New Yankee Workshop' and 'The Great British Woodshop'. We are aware that many of our viewing audience enjoy 'New Yankee Workshop' and we will continue to try and air new series of this programme in the future. Unfortunately, there are no plans for a new series at present.

We are very sorry to hear that you have been disappointed by 'Woodworks' and 'Boyz In The Wood'. We appreciate that some programmes may not suit all of our viewers' tastes. We will take note of your comments, and forward them to the relevant department on your behalf.
Kind Regards,

Discovery Networks Europe Viewer Relations Team"

We might just be having a small effect here.

SF

Freetochat":31drm3mm said:
You may well get the channel via sky, but these are free to air channels that are received via the sky box as in the BBC, ITV and other channels that can be accessed.

Erm, no they're not, you can only get them via subscription as far as I can see. Least I can't get them via my digital tv or non subscribed Sky box. I'll be yer best friend i you can tell me how to do that wee bit of magic.
Freetochat":31drm3mm said:
Unfortunately, we all want something for nothing and with channels maintaining services through advertising revenues, they are limited on what they can pay to support new programs.
From where I sit I see them receiving advertising revenues and subscription fees. That's not something for nothing.
waterhead37":31drm3mm said:
It has become fashionable to knock Norm once one has acquired a certain amount of skill but truth be told, he got many folk here interested in woodworking!

I'll put my hand up and say its all Norm s fault. He also cost me a fortune in rubbish powertools, few of which I have any more, most self destructed. But I've come to the realisation that I can still watch Norm (well I can't cos I only have the 4 land channels) but I could watch Norm and carry out pretty much the same work with my handtools albeit slower and to a lower standard due to skill deficiency, of course the last bit will change ( I KId myself)

Cheers Mike

Perhaps I should explain further:-

A subscription for sky is for the use of a digibox, card and the furnishing of satelite signals to receive a range of channels whether from the BBC, ITV or many of the channels. You are not paying for the channels, but purely the ability to receive those bundled. Pay channels are the ones like sports and movie channels. These are premium channels on the basis that through paying you get to see top sporting events and movies etc. Discovery is operated on the basis of advertising revenue like most commercial channels. My point being that if Discovery was a premium channel, then through subscriptions they would have the buying power to improve their programming. A simple process of having more money to spend.

Of course, many of Norms programs are available on dvd/video as an addition when buying plans.

Isn't it more the case that the Discovery channel and all the other Discovery network channels, with the exception of the new DMAX free to air channel in Germany, are subscription models which are sold to subscription bundle operators (like Sky) for redistribution. As such they do not exist by virtue of advertising revenue alone.

Cheers Mike

Discovery Channel must get at least a portion of what Sky take off me each month, but however they are financed doesn't excuse the garbage they put out.

Regards

Brian

Any television channel by showing a program is providing a service to the public and therefore in my opinion, if they constantly receive comments and suggestions about possible shows, they have an obligation to do whatever they can to answer those suggestions. Otherwise we only get to see things like wood works. This would be a golden opportunity for discovery to show how it does listen to it's viewers and does provide a good service.
When all said and done, what is really stopping them from showing a few shows that a lot of people have asked them to.

jon.

Latest posts

Back