Woodworks!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just watched another episode of Woodworks and must admit I am hooked! How the host Anton has all his fingers still intact beggars belief! Not only does he use his RAS wrong he also never seems to use a push stick with his table saw, instead relying on a pair of Gloves?? Are these magic gloves that resisit a sharp high speed spinning piece of metal or does he know something all the rest of us do not? Not only that but tonights episode showed him making a garden table where the slats for the table top had uneven gaps in them and the base wobbled!! Some of the M&Ts he made for the legs were too tight while others were too slack! His oppo showed us a few screws and nails but told us nothing about them although he did demonstrate how a cavity fixing works through plasterboard? Is this program really a comedy or is it supposed to be taken seriously? No wonder the HSE try to impliment more rules for the DIY'ers after watching programs like this! I am now looking forward to seeing the next episode in the series just to see if he does lose any fingers or what monstrosity he will produce next! Ok rant over now I must go and see if I can buy some of those magic gloves for myself. :lol:

I agree, it really is shocking, the safety or lack of it, the quality sorry lack of it. Its no good saying that is all that can be done in a half hour the bulk is done off screen. The only thing that does trouble me a bit with this chap he does own an LN no 4, so pehaps he does very high quality work on the side. Hmmm.

Yes they were bright yellow LN. I just missed the carving man and managed to see the eagle he was carving, looked good.

mailee":1ylgvvm5 said:
Yes they were bright yellow LN. I just missed the carving man and managed to see the eagle he was carving, looked good.

Ah! my thoughts were right then. He will be able to spot them (his fingers) easy amongst all the red sawdust [-o< 8-[ :lol:

I saw this program for the first time last week and was horrified. He built a "treasure chest" box - very poorly. His silly person sidekick trying to teach about glues made three mistakes, 1) PU glue does not dry by using "air", 2) PVA does not stand for Polyvinyl Adhesvie 3) the leap wasn't from animal skin glues to pva - caisin resin came between the two.

At which point I was so disallusioned thinking that the ignorant would be watching this thinking they would be tought "correctly" I switched off!

I have seen more informed newbies on this site then those two idiots. (No offence intened to newbies - we all start somewhere - must of us just dont go straight onto telly!)

Oh and as for his magic saftey gloves, yeah, I was wondering if in the winter he would be using fingerless ones..... .!

Woody

waterhead37":2f12vxcn said:
They were perhaps Kevlar gloves which are yellow. (It's very hard to dye Kevlar and it is naturally yellow).

Having once had a pair of Kevlar gloves demonstrated to me by my putting them on and then the sales rep repeatedly slashing at my hands with a new Stanley knife, I can attest to their phenomenal cut resistance. :shock:

HOWEVER - the thought of what would happen if the glove came into contact with a circular saw blade, and dragged the hand into the blade does not bare thinking about. I used to work with a fitter who made the mistake of wearing a glove whilst using a pedestal grinder - his hand had all the relevant bits still attached, it just didn't look much like a hand any more.

When I was doing my workshop training, it was drummed into us that you NEVER, EVER wore gloves when working on rotating machinery - a maxim that has stood me in good stead thus far.

Just my two cents FWIW.

As for the Muppet on Woodworks - don't even get me started!!! :twisted:

Regards

Gary

I too had a friend who wore gloves while using a metalworking lathe. A piece of swarf caught the glove and pulled his hand inripping the glove from his hand plus one finger. I called him Kit Kat after that as it had as many fingers as he. :lol: Luckily he did see the funny side of it after having the end stitched up! :shock:

I know when Anton Fitzpatrick did a series on building a boat he made a very different job of it. The programme itself was much more sensible and the woodworking was of a much higher quality.
Don't suppose he ever went sailing in the crappy chest thing though!
Hmmm!

SF

Shadowfax":3hbt6xrv said:
I know when Anton Fitzpatrick did a series on building a boat he made a very different job of it. The programme itself was much more sensible and the woodworking was of a much higher quality.
Don't suppose he ever went sailing in the crappy chest thing though!
Hmmm!

SF

The boat building series started a rerun today, I've got to agree it is one of his better offerings

Ah yes, I thought I had heard his name before, the boat building series! Now it seems that this guy has a Jekyl and Hyde character about him with his woodwork doesn't it? If I remember correctly his boat building was very good indeed and most of it with hand tools too! It seems hard to believe it is the same guy! Maybe he really didn't want to do the woodworks program so thought he would make a hash of it and they wouldn't screen it. :lol:

He used the LN no 4 in the boat building series, I think it may be two different guys in the same mask.

I certainlhy hope so as if he builds his boats like he builds his other items I wouldn't like to sail in them. Titanic springs to mind :shock:

Just got Sky and thought I would watch this prog. hoping to learn something - I did!

Even as a noob to woodworking could not believe how poor the program is - lack of attention to safety - poor workmanship as mentioned M&T too tight and too slack uneven spacing on table top etc.

Not seen the other about boats yet!

In my view you can learn so much more from this forum - perhaps this should be televised? :D :D

Cheers :D
Tony

Last time I was at my Mums (she has this new fangled satellite tv, have you come across it? It might have potential) I sat there glued to Anton Fitzpatrick's prog. He was building some kind of boat, then it was lunchtime and I was ordered to turn it off but it was good while it lasted. I recall he used a grotty record 4 1/2 to plane a laminated curve though cant remember where he was using the lamination.
Cheers Mike

Latest posts

Back