New Video: Turned sewing kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobham

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi:
The thread about turning a thimble reminded me about this project that I turned quite a few years ago. It is a turned sewing kit that includes a sort of rudimentary thimble as one of the end caps.

The playlist is available at: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 613640C19E

Take care
Bob

mov160_Capture.jpg

Bob you're like a one man production house. I love it!

Just going to watch a segment now and finish them in the morning.

Thanks as always.

Well I finally got back into my workshop and spent some time doing one of Bobs promptings!

Sewingkit1.jpg

It was a real pleasure to do and great to be back on my lathe.

Sewingkit2.jpg

Sewingkit3.jpg

Not as good a finish as yours Bob, it had started to get cold again as the sun went down and I was too impatient to wait! I rediscovered my 1/4 inch skew and it was ideal for the bobbin.

Thank you for showing how it's done properly and the inside is smaller than the outside on this one :p

Thank you Bob. I'm still smiling when I think of your out-takes. I haven't stabbed me yet though! Thanks for the insight..

Spot on Tom, straight off the fire wood pile! I've had some lovely beech off of there and lots more to come!

I used my 1/2 inch dia round nosed router cutter to start the hole for the thimble and the a 1/4 inch round nosed scraper to finish it.

I bought a Crown set of HSS miniture gouges with a 1/4 inch round nosed scraper, 1/4 inch skew, 3/16ths spindle, 1/16th parting tool and a 1/16th spindle gouge some while back and they are great for very small stuff! I have to admit that the 1/16th spindle gouge frightens the life out of me, but I think I have tried it on jobs that are just too big. It don't arf chatter!

Back