New Video: Berger style scoop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobham

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi:
I have posted a new video series on Youtube. This one is about turning a scoop similar to the one that Soren Berger demonstrates on the Woodworking Channel website. The playlist is available at: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 05E44A955E

Take care
Bob

mov119_Capture.jpg

Many thanks, Bob - pure magic !!

Just fascinating from a novice's point of view to see you handling the tools in both a spindle turning mode and then in a bowl.

A couple of quick (I hope) questions - olive is very dense; is that essential for this type of turning ? Will any drive centre cope with the change in back centre position ? - and I've forgotten what the third was !!! oh yes - I take it that the back centre positions were all on one radius line?

Many thanks - a happy hour's watching.

Rob

Quality production as always Bob. I enjoyed this one, the end result is very pleasing and looks tactile.

Hi, and thanks.

Rob, I don't know about most olive wood, but this Russian olive is not very dense at all. It is a very lightweight and fairly soft wood. It was in a bucket of shorts of various species that I bought at a wood show and was labelled Russian Olive. That is what I am going by.

It would be better to use a denser wood than this, for sure. Soren turns the one in his video out of cherry, which would be good. Hard maple would also be good.

Having said that, I must admit that I have never tried either of those woods. :) When I first saw Soren's video I went out the shop and turned one out of a piece of softwood 4x4. I think it was pine or spruce. Then I turned a small one out of walnut:

100_8652-640.jpg

That was a year or two back and I hadn't tried any more. I posted this picture on a forum last week to illustrate my reply to a question on chucking them for hollowing the bowl and had a couple of people asking to see a video of how my custom jaws worked so I made this video. This scoop in the video is the third one I have made and the first in over a year. I was quite pleased that it turned out at all, let alone as nice as it did. :)

Both offsets are along the same radius line and in the same direction from center.

I don't remember having any problems with my drive center when I made my earlier ones and that would have been a regular 4 tine spur center since I just got the Stebcentre about 6 months ago.

Take care
Bob

Hi Bob, I've just finished looking at you video. Thank you for the trouble teken over it! It's very interesting to see the way the bowl hollowing was done. I will have to have a crack at one and I know the bit of beech that would do just fine!!

We have a Russian Olive tree in the garden and I had to cut down the main trunk, but no problem for the tree because I think you would have to use explosives to kill the blasted thing. It has the most vicious thorns on it too! The wood is lovely and I have made several spatulas from it.

Thanks again..

Another brilliant video series Bob, Thanks for spending so much time and effort on these,

Loz

Latest posts

Back