New Veritas plane UKW exclusive announcement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He did, there's also an interview with him on the Popular Woodworking site where he's said they will be doing a small scraper, a LA Jack and Bevel Up Smoother in the premium range, plus 'a plane unlike anything ever done before' whatever that is.

Just wonder which one will be next.

Cheers, Ed

I was using my BUS today and find it hard to see how they could improve it, the only route would be to either make it more bling or alter the handles to make it more familiar to users of other plane families

By all accounts the BUS is very good (I don't own one), but looking at the NX60, I would say the premium BUS would have the nickel body (so no body rust) and stainless fittings instead of brass. Then add the streamlining....
(hey, maybe LV will add a 'boot' [that's a 'trunk' to any 'Mericans reading this] so you can store the other two blades on board :lol: )

Seriously though, Derek Cohen's review suggests the new planes don't actually plane any better then the Veritas or LN low angle block planes, they just have additional features (and bling). Personally I like the brass and the O1 steel blades of the existing range, but would probably prefer the shape and mouth stop on the NX/DX60.
Cheers, Vann.

I thought the new new blocks added features not available on the current models and then they added the shiny element - which does look good. I didn't think the BUS was that lacking in features, though would be happy to be proved wrong

Ironballs":15c3vx75 said:
I thought the new new blocks added features not available on the current models and then they added the shiny element - which does look good.
I was using both over the weekend and they are very pleasant to use, though as Alf said in her review, no better than a standard block, such as my LN 60.5. What is slightly fiddly is to set up the mouth adjustment with the allen key, but once that's done, you can just leave it alone. The most awkward thing though, is fitting the tapered blade into the Eclipse jig for honing...very tricky :x It will go in, but only just - Rob

I'm usually a fan of Veritas tools and have quite a selection in my kit - but I don't think I'll be adding this one. I'd have to keep the workshop door shut all the time or I'd be afraid the thing was going to take off on some intergalactic voyage!
Most of Veritas' innovations have a point to them - e.g. the blade-centring grub screws - and I love the combination of black paint, bubinga handles and brass fittings. Unless it works significantly better (and I gather it doesn't) there's no reason to give cupboard space to this one and several good ones not to.
Sad - I haven't been disappointed in a Veritas product since their ill-conceived waterstone pond, but this looks like a remarkably worthy successor!
What would interest me would be a bevel-up jack plane with a higher bed angle to enable me to get a seriously steep EP - now that would be worth more than a second look

Handworkfan":27bgz9a8 said:
hat would interest me would be a bevel-up jack plane with a higher bed angle to enable me to get a seriously steep EP - now that would be worth more than a second look
Welcome to the forum...a high EP is easy to achieve anyway with a BU plane. Hone a micro-bevel at 50deg and the EP then becomes 62deg, which is not bad going :wink: - Rob

woodbloke":270vhk9f said:
a high EP is easy to achieve anyway with a BU plane. Hone a micro-bevel at 50deg and the EP then becomes 62deg, which is not bad going :wink: - Rob
yes, that's why I favour BU planes. I use the VEritas Mk 2 guide on its steepest setting (54 + 2 deg on the eccentric roller = 56) which I reckon gives me an EP of 68 degrees - and I've got a nice finish on some African Blackwood with that - but the steep honing angle means there's very little blade projecting from the jig to register agasint the square fence. a higher bed angle would reduce the honing angle, making the process easier.
I dont' think it's likely to happen though because of economics. But then, if we'r etaliking economics, why produce such an expensive block plane if it comes to that?

woodbloke":3ts7pna8 said:
...as Alf said in her review,
Has Alf done a review of these new planes? If so, where? I've checked the reviews on this site and the "Cornish Workshop" site but can't find anything. I thought she'd gone into hibernation.

The only reviews I've seen are Derek Cohen's, and Christopher Schwarz (Popular Woodworking site).

Cheers, Vann

The more I think about this, the more disappointed and - yes - angry I feel. Why have VEritas poured resources into bling and packaging (which latter will doubtless end up in the recycling bin) to produce a plane that adds no practical value to their range, when there are so many other things they could have done with what they themselves say is our money?
None of the top 3 volume manufacturers, for example, produces a compass plane - now there's a gap.
It's sheer self-indulgence - they're obviously making too much money from us their customers

Handworkfan":2gox6m5c said:
produce a plane that adds no practical value to their range

The plane does not perform better in the shavings that can be made than the set of block planes previously t thi one 'performing best'. Not adding any practical value is something completely different. These planes do add practical value; better ergonomics, improved ease of repeatable setup, new type of non rusting alloy

Packaging does not get tossed away, its put away to one day get reacquainted with the plane

Handworkfan":18d7xcsz said:
The more I think about this, the more disappointed and - yes - angry I feel.

I'm left pretty cold by them, but I don't feel that I have a right to be angry about it.

Why have VEritas poured resources into bling and packaging (which latter will doubtless end up in the recycling bin) to produce a plane that adds no practical value to their range, when there are so many other things they could have done with what they themselves say is our money?

It isn't your money if you don't buy one.

None of the top 3 volume manufacturers, for example, produces a compass plane - now there's a gap.
It's sheer self-indulgence - they're obviously making too much money from us their customers

I think they are probably noticing the criticism they sometimes get of the standard range being too utilitarian, and trying to appeal (in their own distinctive way) to those who would like a bit more bling and a few frills around the edges.

Brass planes are pretty blingy in my view (ref your avatar).

It was a LV spokesperson who made the comment that he regarded their money as their customers' money.
Well,, perish the thought that a plane should be utilitarian - next thing we know someone will be suggesting they should be judged on how well they do a job! :shock:
You'll have to ask LN why they make their planes of bronze (not brass)
As far as the Veritas plane is concerned, I guess the market will untlimately pass its own verdict - maybe they should just go the whole hog and get Joan Rivers to endorse it. :wink:

Sorry, bronze, yes. For the weight and non-rusting ostensibly. Mostly for bling appeal, I suspect.

They haven't abandoned the utilitarian ethic, they are just trying to broaden their audience.

As for the money thing, what they meant was that for their standard range they tried not to 'waste' money on non-utilitarian frills so as to allow purchasers to buy a fine working tool at a reasonable price.

Given that there is a choice whether to buy the standard block (which is what I would do) or the 'premium' plane, the purchaser can decide whether his money is wasted on frills/bling or not.

Handworkfan":3fx65wt5 said:
The more I think about this, the more disappointed and - yes - angry I feel.

Unless you have shares in these firms what's to get worked up about?
Find something useful to get angry about.

These things give lots of people pleasure. I'm not one of them, but hey they are doing me no harm.

You must be in an absolute rageing fury with Waka :lol: :lol:

Maybe 'angry' was a bit hyperbolic - but it's annoying to me that a firm that can produce such excellent kit is going down the bling road rather than filling the very obvious gaps that there are in the market - as I say, a compass plane would be a great addition to the range. it seems to me to be departing from a successful formula of well-worked out and thoroughly usable kit that's always been exceptional value for money.
But fair enough - I'm not going to waste too much energy being angry with them especially when there's so much else that's more satisfying to grouch about :wink:

Handworkfan":37ffpoli said:
Maybe 'angry' was a bit hyperbolic - but it's annoying to me that a firm that can produce such excellent kit is going down the bling road rather than filling the very obvious gaps that there are in the market - as I say, a compass plane would be a great addition to the range. it seems to me to be departing from a successful formula of well-worked out and thoroughly usable kit that's always been exceptional value for money.
But fair enough - I'm not going to waste too much energy being angry with them especially when there's so much else that's more satisfying to grouch about :wink:

Thing is - lots of customers ASKED, long, loud and repeatedly for a bling-i-er range of tools, so all LV are doing is what customers asked for.

BugBear

bugbear":18q2ktog said:
Thing is - lots of customers ASKED, long, loud and repeatedly for a bling-i-er range of tools, so all LV are doing is what customers asked for.

BugBear

Well, I can't argue with that, more's the pity. :wink:
(It's not as easy as it looks, you know, being a Grumpy Old Man - and I'm still only learning the art.) :lol:

Latest posts

Back