Shooting with Stewart...Old Meets New

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Some people simply collect old tools and around here the term "collector" causes people to run away.

I guess I could be called a "collector" if the number of planes I seem to have acquired, mostly at bootfairs...is totted up.

This Christmas I was lucky enough to receive a lovely present in the shape of a mini shooting board cum bench hook and was keen to try it out.

I have two suitable mitre planes and one is pretty boutique but my old Spiers was in need of a test on a board (to my shame I hadn't made one for it!) and so it was the weapon of choice!!

2013-12-29%2023.22.14.jpg

When I found this old gem at the bottom of a box in a bootfair and rescued it for the princely sum of a couple of quid...I had to make an iron for it along with a bit of lever cap restoration and this was one of the first irons I had made. I knew it performed well as a smoother.....

DSC_0119.JPG

...so I had an idea it would make a good shooting mitre plane.

On this multi-function board there is a step down as in a shooting board as can be seen so I wanted to try it out on some small stock I had...first some mahogany...

2013-12-29%2023.18.42.jpg

...and I was treated to that wonderful whooshing sound you get when you know it is all going right!

Quite how right can be seen from these microscope specimens!!!

2013-12-29%2023.21.23.jpg

They are cellular thin....

2013-12-29%2023.23.52.jpg

...and remember this is END GRAIN!! :shock:

Ok...let's hit some beech. As with any good fence...the end is made slightly over so that the first passes will take it to the correct level and the slices of beech coming off the end were super thin....

2013-12-29%2023.24.21.jpg

So am I pleased with my new toy used with a very old toy? Of course I am....

2013-12-29%2023.24.37.jpg

I think this combination is going to get a lot of workout pretty soon!

So next time you are at a bootfair...check out deep into those cardboard boxes low down under the stalls...you never know when something is going to pop out and have a new life all over again!

Oh....and a note to obsessive collectors...this one is for use...get your own for your dusty shelves and investments! :wink:

Cheers

Jimi

That spires,
I've viewed it many times on your page, the hotdog you made out a smile on my face.
As for the board? It work with your chosen plane like it was made for it.
A glove that fits.
As for the sound :) we all love it.
Sounds we don't like is chatter or a stanley scraper plane crying.
Excellent jimi,

Cheers
TT

Very nice Jim.

But I think you're getting ahead of yourself - those photos aren't under copyright yet (hammer)

Cheers, Vann :ho2 :deer :deer :deer

It's good to see old tools put back into working order, but it's even better to see them working. And especially nice for you to have a precision made left handed shooting board - you won't find one of those at a boot fair!

jimi43":mg156zvd said:

Your plane is indeed working very well, Jimi, but those holes aren't cells - they're just cross section through the water vessels of the tree, which are long tubes.

BugBear

bugbear":156wuv7b said:
jimi43":156wuv7b said:

Your plane is indeed working very well, Jimi, but those holes aren't cells - they're just cross section through the water vessels of the tree, which are long tubes.

BugBear

Never said they were BB...I said it was cellular thin but if you insist on being vacuous don't let me stop the phloem or you may end up in an a xylem! :mrgreen:

(BB....my new year's resolution..give up pedancy and make something out of wood) :wink:

Cheers for pointing that out Vann...I'll get it fixed by the end of the week...promise!! #-o

Thanks for the comment Andy...I know I am one lucky bunny this Christmas! I doubt if I would even see one at David Stanley's next auction which I will be going to! I did think about going on Friday after all but I need an ALFIE-sitter! Still...next time eh?

Cheers guys...off to test the mitre slot...

Jim

Just for you BB...I plonked a slice of the shavings on my microscope and it was a little difficult holding the Galaxy S3 at the right angle so excuse the clarity but here is the result:

20131230_112409%20(1).jpg

For those of us lacking a degree in botany the elements of the vascular system are the huge holes and the ones in between are the cambium cells I believe.

But if you're more comfortable with another description I will settle for "wafer" thin.... :mrgreen:

Jimi

You mentioned the sound. I have become far more aware lately of the distinctly different sounds planes make. It was the Philly 55 degree blackwood smoother (you know them?) that started it. It's all tuned up and makes a kind of sweet crackle sound. That got me onto a few more woodies, including that old 'brick' woodie with the steel sole... very similar sound, not exactly the same. The Ann Moon jointer* the same, very similar sound. Metal ones sound quite different I find (including the Norris, which is mainly metal).
I'm on woodies at the moment, and the Moseley mitre plane is very good indeed - all the way from Pimlico and it still works - impressive.

* I call the Moon a jointer. The names are confusing. I tried a fore once but I jacked it in :wink:

condeesteso":1ye45fhz said:
You mentioned the sound. I have become far more aware lately of the distinctly different sounds planes make. It was the Philly 55 degree blackwood smoother (you know them?) that started it. It's all tuned up and makes a kind of sweet crackle sound. That got me onto a few more woodies, including that old 'brick' woodie with the steel sole... very similar sound, not exactly the same. The Ann Moon jointer* the same, very similar sound. Metal ones sound quite different I find (including the Norris, which is mainly metal).
I'm on woodies at the moment, and the Moseley mitre plane is very good indeed - all the way from Pimlico and it still works - impressive.

* I call the Moon a jointer. The names are confusing. I tried a fore once but I jacked it in :wink:

The board's a diamond Douglas! Thanks for being so thoughtful...as the Prof says...very rarely do you find left-handed anything...so much appreciated.

I just knew that Moon jointer was going to be a cracker! You could see it just from looking at it and made by the fair Anne all that long ago too...it's a historical item and you don't see many of them.

With all woodies I am now getting to the stage when I can pick one up and just feel the quality and by and large..they tend to be the ones that work the best.

The recent Madox astragal Toby sent me was one of those...sadly it is on its way back to the owner but I shall be on the lookout for more Madox planes in the future!

Can't wait to see the mitre in action...I will have to get the John Green panel raiser finished too...that should be a good-un. I was a little worried about making the iron for it but I will use thin stock and a cap...punched through for the bolt as per the originals and see how it goes...if the Spiers is anything to go by it should work out ok. It's still looking lost at the moment...

2013-11-02%2014.21.38.jpg

...but I can't pluck up the courage to do the wedge geometry..even with the help that Philly has kindly given me!!!!

Cheers

Jim

Latest posts

Back