New TV

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've got a Sony 40W2000 LCD which we've had a couple of years and are very happy with it.
The colours and motion are fine, and I'm not convinced Plasma are any better really.
We recently got an AV amp (Sony 2400ES) and now route the pictures through that and only need one HDMI input on the TV. The picture from Sky is much better than when we connected the Sky box direct to the TV.
We only use audio through the amp so get much better sound than any TV could produce.

Whatever you decide on, try and see one in person before you buy to see if you like the picture (and the look of the TV in the flesh).

Paulm. You can order direct from Argos on the telephone get delivery etc. and if you dont like it you can usually return if there is a problem that you are dissatisfied.

I got a good guarantee and price from them as well when we got ours.(Sony Bravia)

So if snow is still around but price is right I would go that way. I recall living near Basingstoke in 1963 and the roads were terrible until the end of March that year.

We have a 32" Panasonic tv just over a year old which got rave rewiews. My son has a slightly newer Sony which also was top rated. In the kitchen we have a small Sony TV.

The quality of all of them is excellent with stunning displays when attached to an HD source. I would happily replace any of them with like for like.

Before we bought ours we visited several retailers around the area to get an impression of what they were like, but no care had been taken in setting them up and it was difficult as a model that looked good in one shop looked bad in the next.

Definitely go for at least 100Htz to ensure no flicker.

Also watch out about the warranty as some include a 5 year warranty and others will try and sell it to you. With a bit of judicious searching you can get this included.

If you go down the Panasonic route I hope you have a better response from your local Panasonic shop than I did. We wanted to purchase the TV and HD/DVD player/recorder - getting towards a thousand pounds worth of kit. The local dealer wasn't interested - no five year warranty and only at list price. We ended up buying over the web from a long established London dealer (who has a showroom) with 5 year warrnty included and next day delivery with about a 30% discount.

Misterfish

Thanks Mark for the sky remote codes and instructions, worked a treat, the code for the samsung is the 0060 if anyone needs it.

Thanks for all the ideas and feedback from everyone else also, very helpful.

I rang M&S this morning and I had misunderstood and they don't take the old set away after all (it's a big old 28" crt and bl@@#y heavy !). The installation needs to be arranged in-store once you have the set and can take a week or so to be done, so not actually done when they drop the telly off.

So, all things considered, decided to get that same set from amazon at £110 less, forego the extra warranty and "installation" but get it here for 14th Jan rather than 28th Jan that M&S were quoting.

Hope the installation turns out to be as simple as running another cable from the dish like I did for the freesat box in the other room (we have one connection left on the dish), and that I don't end up regretting the extra four years warranty cover, but for £110 saving today I'm happy to take the chance.

Thanks for the Quidco.com promo code idea paulg, but checked them out for use with M&S and while it would have saved £50 I didn't really like the terms and conditions, giving them my bank or paypal details and having to subscribe to their deal for a fee every year, sounded too complicated to me, attractive though the headline saving is.

Thanks for everybodies help again :D

Cheers, Paul :D

I picked up the last cable in Maplins Roger, this one I think here but don't know how to identify if it is any good or not ? Just go on price or a different supplier ?

On a different topic, how do you format links like that to show as a coloured word rather than a long url ? I think you need to add [url= at the beginning but don't know how you close it out ?

LarryS":13r5xlgd said:
i went into comet the other day, they had a display of plasma, lcd and led tv's above each other, there was quite a difference in the picture quality so worth you doing the same comparison to see what you like

Sadly, TV's in showrooms all have their controls set to (ludicrous and unrealistic) levels of brightness and colour saturation.

(any TV set to normal settings would look a bit flat and dull in comparison, so a sort a natural selection sets in - a bit like Deer antlers).

Thus, comparisons made in a showroom are between TV's at their most bright and saturated - as opposed to "best".

I have no idea how to get good information - magazines tend to be biased (and/or out of date), induividuals tend to be defensive of their choices, showroom comparison are unrepresentative.

Nasty.

I just picked the top brands, and waited for a special offer.

I normally make (obsessively) fully informed purchase decisions, but became convinced that for TV's (and probably digital cameras too) it's impossible :-(

BugBear

paulm":pb8l9a0n said:
I picked up the last cable in Maplins Roger, this one I think http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=227277 but don't know how to identify if it is any good or not ? Just go on price or a different supplier ?

On a different topic, how do you format links like that to show as a coloured word rather than a long url ? I think you need to add Paul

You need the following syntax [url=your.www.here]your highlighted word/s here

Like this

Great, cheers Mark, have just gone back and edited the last couple of links to practice !

Another vote for Panasonic. Both daughter and I have small (26") Panasonics between 2 and 4 years old and they seem pretty good.
And to think we watched the coronation on a 9" screen and it seemed quite big............ :D

Sony and Panasonic always seem to come up top of the pile. When I was researching a while back I could not find a bad review for the Philips 32PFL9613. The missus also got a good staff discount which helped :wink:

Very good TV no problems with blacks, motion, judder, sound etc. Full HD works well with freesat and the ambilight feature (leds at the side of the TV which glow and change colour with the TV picture) is surprising pleasant to have on at night.

Cheers

Andy

hi... just catching up...

the tv you like is available here for £865.

bought my dads on thru them. with tosh dvd upscaler and otehr bits and save a few hundred quid (inc a 5yr warranty)

satellite aerial cable the best stuff to go for is air filed (but that can let water to your equip if it ever gets damaged outside. most use foam filled for that reason...) how much do you need i might have enough on the end of a reel pm me.

TrimTheKing":106zcc8n said:
paulm":106zcc8n said:
I picked up the last cable in Maplins Roger, this one I think http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=227277 but don't know how to identify if it is any good or not ? Just go on price or a different supplier ?

On a different topic, how do you format links like that to show as a coloured word rather than a long url ? I think you need to add Paul

You need the following syntax [url=your.www.here]your highlighted word/s here

Like this

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-paint-distant-trees-in-watercolor-90511/view/here

Trim I am trying to do the coloured "here" using urls but cannot seem to get it.
Can somebody please do me a real silly person sheet or phone me on 01803554269

After reading about home servers on here, and in the process of buying a new TV - my Sanyo is 20yrs old and the picture rolls till it warms up - I wanted to make sure the TV could play stuff of my computer.

This then points you to "Wireless DLNA" support where you do not need a cable to connect. It seems all the TV manufacturers are taking it but I have plumped for the Samsung LE32B650 which will do everything I need it to, hopefully.

hth or maybe hinders

yo_chuci":10mq1uwb said:
hi... just catching up...

the tv you like is available here for £865.

bought my dads on thru them. with tosh dvd upscaler and otehr bits and save a few hundred quid (inc a 5yr warranty)

satellite aerial cable the best stuff to go for is air filed (but that can let water to your equip if it ever gets damaged outside. most use foam filled for that reason...) how much do you need i might have enough on the end of a reel pm me.

How annoying is that, could have saved a few quid and got a three year warranty too, sod's law I guess :lol:

Likewise have just ordered some cable and stuff from here before tuning in and seeing you might have some available !

Thanks for the info' and offer though, much appreciated.

paulm":u7lutlo1 said:
devonwoody You need the following syntax [url=your.www.here said:
your highlighted word/s here[/url]

Like this

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-paint-distant-trees-in-watercolor-90511/view/here

Hi John,

Put at the end, then straight after that type whatever word(s) you want to show instead and after these put

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Paul :D[/quote]

[/urlwww.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-paint-distant-trees-in-watercolor-90511/view/]here

Latest posts

Back