New turnings.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tintin

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting into turning for a fair few years but had never the space or funds until now (and a significant birthday!!) .I haven't done any turning since a bit at school - we were lucky enough to have a couple of old woodturning lathes in the school workshop so we all had the basic lessons.

Finally succumbed and bought a Scheppach DMS 900 so I think that’s a new one for the members lathes thread.

a.jpg

Headstock

Tailstock

As you can see its very similar to Axminsters own M900 and a few other clones. The sub frame was a pain to assemble even with two "engineers" doing it but i guess its the same for other similar lathes. The main bed is fairly good and the tailstock and tool rest have firm clamps that are easy to use. The headstock rotating mechanism is slightly strange .. lets just say Functional rather than user friendly. Variable speed was easy to use and is done on the fly. The under table came pressed with straight sides which didn't fit very well with the A frame ends and required slightly more force in fixing than one would have thought needed with a new piece of equipment from Scheppach.

You just get the basic accessories here - Face plate, 4 prong drive and
revolving centre (can be made hollow) - but enough to get you started.

For my first attempt i turned to an article by Richard Raffins on wooden boxes (Best of fine woodworking - Woodturning basics 2007 p85) and a couple of blocks of Pear from a local wood store.

b.jpg

f.jpg

Oooh,very nice box - like the shape and detail,finished piece looks excellent :D

Welcome to "the slope" (don't worry,there will be no shortage of people to help grease it for you,so you can slide a little faster.. :wink: )

Andrew

Welcome to the slope, looks like you've jumped right onto it with that box, they're not the easiest thing in my experience. Keep the pics coming we love'em on 'ere

Pete

Nice work TinTin :D
What was the significant birthday,you're 18th.
I'd long forgot how to use the tools when i was at school :roll:
Must admit am still getting used to them.
Lets see some more :D
Paul.J.

That is a great Box Tintin, hope the wood is good and stable and retains the lid fit after all that effort.

CHJ":2dhijxbb said:
That is a great Box Tintin, hope the wood is good and stable and retains the lid fit after all that effort.

Hmmph... :roll:

Don't talk to me about that. I have a beautiful Holly box with a inside fitted Yew lid that I can no longer get remove!!!!

At least the Holly didn't split though, so it looks quite nice on the dresser. I tell people it is a puzzle box and refuse to divulge the secret!

Regards

Gary

Paul.J":30t9jk0f said:
Nice work TinTin :D
What was the significant birthday,you're 18th.
I'd long forgot how to use the tools when i was at school :roll:.

No just a tad older than 18 yrs ...add 22 and you will be there.

NickWelford":30t9jk0f said:
Hey, Tinny, that looks really good for a first attempt! Didn't you have a few disasters first? We all did!

That was the first thing i did after testing all my tools on a scrap bit of wood. Having said that the original design was a little fatter - the first profile had to be abandoned after a few dig-ins

Back