New to turning with old kit...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meehaja

Reaction score
Hi, quick introduction and a question/ request for advice as well!

I'm Jim, I've never really done any turning, but I have been toying with the idea for a while, as I've been working with wood more and more lately. I'm not good with wood working, and my constructions are more utilitarian than attractive, but they get the job done!

Luckily for me my Grandfather was a superb wood worker and made some lovely items on his lathe, though sadly he died he died 20 years ago and his lathe and tools have been in my mums garage ever since. Given that she no longer lives in the UK I felt it was time his equipment was moved up to my garage!

So lucky me in getting, what I expect will be high quality (if a little old) equipment (though I do love old tools!)... Downside is I've no idea what I've got!

I've managed to go through the tools themselves, and get an idea of what they are and what they are for... but I also have a box of chucks (maybe 20 of them!) Is there any easy way of working out which chuck is for what or how to use them, or is trial and error the best bet?

Sorry for the long first post... hopefully I'll be showing some work to rival all yours (in about 20 years maybe!)

Jim

hi Jim, if you can post photos of the equipment there will be someone who recognises it. It's good you have all the equipment as it costs a fair bit when you first get into turning.

Regards
Peter

Thats not a bad idea! I'll take some photos over the weekend, and post them to flikr.. anyone who fanices themselves as a detective and thinks they may be able to help can peruse at their own convenience!

meehaja":3u4pjszh said:
Thats not a bad idea! I'll take some photos over the weekend, and post them to flikr.. anyone who fanices themselves as a detective and thinks they may be able to help can peruse at their own convenience!

Once you have made 3 posts (only one more to go) then you can post pictures here. Best to include any name or markings on the equipment.

Regards
Peter

on closer inspection, the chucks are labeled (in hand writing that looks scarily like mine!) so far we have;

3 jaw chuck
contracting jaws x2
mini expanding jaws
1 inch pin chuck
1/2 inch pin chuck
craft supplies combination chuck
expanding jaws x2
4 jaw chuck

plus a selection of other bits and pieces and wooden chucks...

anyway, here's the current problem... the chuck is stuck on the lathe! Its fine for spindle work, but I want to make a cup! Any ideas how to get it off? I've read that a strap wrench is the way forward but I'm not sure if that'll work... I've posted a link to some photos, the outer ring turns quite easily, its the middle cross piece that wont budge at all! Help!?!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34365259@N07/8224221035/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34365259@N07/8225294256/in/photostream/

meehaja":3a05sw7i said:
on closer inspection, the chucks are labeled (in hand writing that looks scarily like mine!) so far we have;

3 jaw chuck
contracting jaws x2
mini expanding jaws
1 inch pin chuck
1/2 inch pin chuck
craft supplies combination chuck
expanding jaws x2
4 jaw chuck

plus a selection of other bits and pieces and wooden chucks...

anyway, here's the current problem... the chuck is stuck on the lathe! Its fine for spindle work, but I want to make a cup! Any ideas how to get it off? I've read that a strap wrench is the way forward but I'm not sure if that'll work... I've posted a link to some photos, the outer ring turns quite easily, its the middle cross piece that wont budge at all! Help!?!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34365259@N07/8224221035/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34365259@N07/8225294256/in/photostream/

I don't think you have said which lathe it is? The centre drive looks like it may be on a morse taper and if your lathe has a hollow spindle then you use a knock out bar down the centre of the spindle from the opposite end of course.

Regards
Peter

Sorry, its a Naerok WL12037, which seems to be the same as a Clarke CWL 12D? The spindle does seem to be hollow, so is it just acase of find something that fits and poke it out? Sounds too easy!

meehaja":3hifnd2o said:
Sorry, its a Naerok WL12037, which seems to be the same as a Clarke CWL 12D? The spindle does seem to be hollow, so is it just acase of find something that fits and poke it out? Sounds too easy!

If it is a morse taper then yes it is as easy as that. Have a look in the kit you have and you may find a knock out bar specifically for that.

I forgot to add that you should put on a good thick glove on one hand usually the right so that you can stop the drive centre flying out like a missile if you whack it too hard (hammer)

Regards
Peter

Hi Meehaja,
I'm no expert but from the photographs it looks as though the 4 prong centre is fitted into the spindle, probable a Morse Taper (which, as has been stated, can probably be tapped out from the other end). However I suspect the chuck is fitted to the spindle thread and these can sometimes get stuck. This happens because of dirt on the threads, also because sometimes the lathe is started with the chuck loose on the thread. When this happens the chuck spins and tightens itself by inertia.

Can you lock the spindle? Do so if you can, then apply a strap wrench to the chuck, and give it a few taps with a baulk of wood. You have to be careful here - you can damage the spindle locking system if you use too much force.

My own similar problem was on a Myford metal lathe. I clamped the spindle and attached a length of steel bar to the chuck backplate. Even after some serious hitting there was no movement - not a jot. I was reluctant to use any more force.

In the end I had to resort to a propane torch, gently moving it about all the time. The chuck came off with (gloved) hand pressure as if there had never been a problem.

This may be the route you need to go. Personally I would prefer gentle heat to over-enthusiastic hammering.

Good luck with the performance - let us know how you get on.

Finally - if you do get the chuck off, clean out the threads on both spindle and chuck before re-fitting. Clean the Morse Taper hole as well. This should be done regularly to avoid similar issues.

K

As suggested by peter, a good tap from the other end with a bit of rod pushed through moved it! Thanks for all your advice all!

ok, as promised, here's pictures of all the chuck bits I have. It seems to be a craft supplies combination chuck? Next question is how does all this fit together? Some of the "jaws" have/had elastic bands round them. Is this for storage or structural? http://www.flickr.com/photos/34365259@N07/sets/72157632175386027/

Most of the items were labeled but that doesn't bring me any closer to having the slightest idea of how to use them or what to use them for!

NEVER seen such a complete set of accessories for a PC Chuck! They are a bit of a pain to use, because ideally you need three, or preferably 4, hands to put them and the blank together. But once you get the hang of them, they can be very effective.
Describing how to use them is beyond me - someone else may be able to do it, but the most efficient way would be with someone to give you a hands-on demo.
Oh, yes, the rubber bands - they aren't actually "structural", but they make it a bit easier to use. Problem is usually that the bands rot and break just when you are manoevring the bits together. A loop of springy wire is a neater and longer lasting solution.

I have one of these chucks and it works fine, I do have a set of instructions somewhere if that would help you?

I use an old sack truck inner tube cut into short pieces as the rubber bands, it helps out with the "three hands " problem mentioned above.

Latest posts

Back