New scroll user

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buff pekin

Reaction score
Hi
Just started scrolling, got a old Clark 16 inch single speed saw . Using pin blades . But want to do more fine work like portrait work in the future. In portrait working what materials do use and what finishes do people use . Also what blades did you use. What saw would people recommend to do more complicated work.
Many thanks buff pekin

Hi Buff,Welcome to the forum, I can't help ya regarding scrolled portraits but some of the other guys will have plenty of tips later.
I would think having a saw that has variable speed would help for fine work and pinless blades are a must if you have fine holes to fit through. If you do a search on the forum for portraits you might find some info.

Cheers
Brian

As I use a clarke 18" I'd say your 16" should be more than capable.
Pegus blades, get blade clamps and stop using pinned blades, depending on which model you've got (clarke did 2, one is really easy to fit pinless blades, the other is a bit of a faf), you'll need to adapt the clamps to be quick change but it is doable.
Baltic birch ply is great or portrait work and not to expensive, other than that a dig round charity shops for old furniture and a willingness to resaw (by hand if needed) can see you move in to much nicer hardwoods for cheap.

Latest posts

Back