NEW SCAM WARNING TO ALL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
This poped up on another forum I use so thought I had better warn everyone on here :-

It has come to our attention that a scammer is targeting internet forums that have classified areas. Please read this carefully and DO NOT become a victim of such criminals.
Basically, the scammer is watching the classified sections and waiting for someone to make an offer on an item, which is then refused by the seller. The scammer then registers with a user name almost identical to that of the seller and simply adds a full stop, underscore, or similar.
A PM is then sent to the prospective buyer suggesting a change of heart, accepting the offer, asking for payment and sending bank details. The forum concerned has handed over all this information to the police and hopefully this individual will be stopped, BUT that doesn’t mean someone else won’t try the same thing. The scammer in this case used all manner of free internet hot spots so it’s easy to see how it can be done. People have already been caught out and we don’t want a member of TP to be the next one.
We do what we can by way of protecting members – no PM access for new registrations, classifieds only viewable to members and so on – but we cannot restrict everything, so please do not fall for anything like this. Follow ALL the forum rules and guidelines on using the classified areas and do NOT make any deals via PM – this rule is there for the protection of everyone. If you suspect you are being targeted by such a scam, please report it to the staff immediately – there is an RTM button to the top right-hand side of your pm’s.

Can we also extend our thanks to the member that brought this to our attention, its very much appreciated.

So BE CAREFUL OUT THERE !!!

Nice 1 Blister, you can never be too careful. Thanks for the heads up appreciate it.

Cheers

Dave

A friend of mine works for an e-commerce site... there was a guy they were aware of that was basically ripping off peoples credit card details and then getting stuff sent to a different registered address, basically a P.O box type jobbie. Anyway, I digress, my point is that the police won't get involved until there is a record of said scammer getting £10,000 worth of goods, or making one £10,000 transaction! Apparently this is the norm as there's so much going on that it's not worth trying to get the small fry's.

My friend also contacted the place that holds the P.O box drop-box place and they said they were well aware but weren't going to do anything about it. I reckon they were in on it too. Just goes to show that there are some barstewards out there!

Anyway, thanks for the heads up Blister. _Dan :)

Latest posts

Back