New Planer Blowing Fuses - Please Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard E

Reaction score
Hello All
I've been using a colleague's 1 year old planer/thicknesser for a couple of months with no problems, then it suddenly started blowing fuses. The motor is struggling to start, with a humming noise for a few seconds, the cutter block makes a couple of weak turns, then the plug's 13A fuse goes. I saw another post about similar problems, but in this case there's no click sound, just a hum.

It's a generic Chinese thing from Woodford Woodworking. The motor is 1.5kW 240V single phase. There are no extension cords, and I've tried disconnecting the belts from the motor and it still blows the fuse.

I took the cases off the capacitors on the motor, and the running capacitor (CBB60 / 450V 25μF) seems available in the UK, but the start capacitor (CD60 275V 100μF) seems to only be available by the shipping container-full from China.

I'm guessing that a dodgy start capacitor is to blame (not knowing much about these things). Can anyone help me out with any insight into likely causes/solutions? Is there a UK-available equivalent start capacitor I can use? Can I just cut off the 13A plug and run it on a 16A supply (my table saw uses one, so would be easy to test).

Any help would be much appreciated!

If its just sitting and humming then a bigger supply wont help
Do the caps look good? Burnt or bulging?
Do you know if there's a centrifugal switch that may be sticking open?
Can you post a pic of the motor terminals diagram off motor?
Buy 2 50uf caps and wire them in parallel

Thanks Everyone.
Here's a wiring diagram from the booklet if that's what you meant, flh801978. The capacitors look ok to me.. Not sure about a centrifugal switch. Would that be inside the motor housing?

The motor rotates easily 360deg by hand. Tried spinning up the motor with a stick while turning it on, and it seemed to spin properly for about a second, then the fuse blew as usual.
IMG_3643.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3643.JPG
    IMG_3643.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 91
Yes the centrifugal switch is inside the motor
where are 2 caps on your diagram? or are they inside the motor connection box?
when I said spin it up it needs to go quite fast

Ian

Back