New No.4 smoother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":2adjwcj7 said:
Vann":2adjwcj7 said:
.....Yebbut, I don't think LN make any planes with Norris style adjusters. Even their low angle smoother has a Bailey style adjuster wheel...

Cheers, Vann.
Looks more Norris than Bailey to me http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=62
They have wisely omitted the lateral adjustment, which on the LV LA planes simply doesn't work.
Their low angle smoother has a "Bailey" type adjuster wheel that works through a yoke to adjust the iron.
164_sm.jpg
164Illus.jpg
It is therefore a "Bailey" style adjuster - not a "Norris" type. I've never handled one of these so I don't know if it can be adjusted on the fly.

Their low angle jack, low angle jack rabbet, and low angle jointer, all use a knob on a threaded rod.
62_sm.jpg
7_5_sm.jpg
62.jpg
There is no lateral adjustment. There is no combination of fine and coarse threads. Therefore it is not a "Norris" style adjuster (not by a long shot), nor is it a "Bailey" style adjuster.

It's unfortunate Jacob, that you are such a stubborn person. I pointed out a small inaccuracy in a post of yours, but you won't accept that you're wrong and just keep going on and on about it (so do I, but at least I provide evidence to support my arguement). This is why people don't listen to you regarding things like rounded bevels - we all realise that even if you know you're wrong, you won't admit it - so how can we trust your arguements?

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• 164_sm.jpg
    164_sm.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 713
  • 164Illus.jpg
    164Illus.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 713
  • 7_5_sm.jpg
    7_5_sm.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 713
  • 62_sm.jpg
    62_sm.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 713
  • 62.jpg
    62.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 713
Vann":3dub4ncz said:
It's unfortunate Jacob, that you are such a stubborn person. I pointed out a small inaccuracy in a post of yours, but you won't accept that you're wrong and just keep going on and on about it (so do I, but at least I provide evidence to support my arguement). This is why people don't listen to you regarding things like rounded bevels - we all realise that even if you know you're wrong, you won't admit it - so how can we trust your arguements?

Cheers, Vann.
What are you boggin on about? It isn't a Bailey type adjuster in the usual sense as found on 99% of steel planes, which is what I meant (obviously I thought) i.e. with a yoke and lateral adjustment - as per LNs own high angle planes in fact. If is nevertheless technically a Bailey design it makes no difference to me (or the argument) - it still looks more like a norris adjuster and it doesn't work very well.
PS BB says Preston. It still doesn't work very well.

Doesn't look like any Norris I ever saw can you show us an example please Jacob?

Jacob":8k6rsgfd said:
Vann":8k6rsgfd said:

Cheers, Vann.
What are you boggin on about? It isn't a Bailey type adjuster in the usual sense as found on 99% of steel planes, which is what I meant (obviously I thought) i.e. with a yoke and lateral adjustment - as per LNs own high angle planes in fact. If is nevertheless technically a Bailey design it makes no difference to me (or the argument) - it still looks more like a norris adjuster and it doesn't work very well.
PS BB says Preston. It still doesn't work very well.
Vann":8k6rsgfd said:
It's unfortunate Jacob, that you are such a stubborn person. I pointed out a small inaccuracy in a post of yours, but you won't accept that you're wrong and just keep going on and on about it.
I guess I'm bogging on about you not accepting when you're wrong and just going on and on about it. So maybe you should just accept that you're wrong and stop going on and on about it.

Do I need to mention that you just keep going on and on about it - or have I made my point?

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":3s57hopx said:
Do I need to mention that you just keep going on and on about it - or have I made my point?

Cheers, Vann.
No you have missed the point completely - which was that the new Stanley SW 4 has a rubbish Norris adjuster, which is a pity. Low angle planes all suffer from poor adjusters whatever their origin so it seems stupid of Stanley to choose the same sort of thing for their high angle plane.

Jacob":33vkfx92 said:
Vann":33vkfx92 said:

Cheers, Vann.
No you have missed the point completely - which was that the new Stanley SW 4 has a rubbish Norris adjuster, which is a pity. Low angle planes all suffer from poor adjusters whatever their origin so it seems stupid of Stanley to choose the same sort of thing for their high angle plane.

Ah, the old Jacob Butler swerve - if you can't defend a statement, change the subject.

Vann was addressing this:

jacob really said":33vkfx92 said:
Vann":33vkfx92 said:
Yebbit, the LN planes use the same adjuster as the Stanley Baileys of yore....
Yebbut I meant the low angle ones. Obsolete norris adjusters. Look good, don't work good.

which you've conveniently forgotten, or claimed isn't the point, now that you're losing the argument.

BugBear

Just in case anyone has been missled, The adjustment mechanism of the L-N low angle smoother has absolutely nothing in common with a Norris adjuster.

David Charlesworth

David C":3lsthtpp said:
Just in case anyone has been missled, The adjustment mechanism of the L-N low angle smoother has absolutely nothing in common with a Norris adjuster.

David Charlesworth
Except that it looks a bit like one from a distance and doesn't work very well - no lateral adjustment and not adjustable on the hoof. Though the LV has lateral adjustment it doesn't work either - you have to slacken off the cap and it's very high geared, making fine adjustment easier with a little hammer.
I'm sure no one has been "missled" :lol: and even if they were they wouldn't care too much.

David C":1verv159 said:

Quite right; in fact, with the adjuster nut running on a fixed screw, and the adjuster having a flange that engages a slot in the blade, it's remarkably similar to the adjuster on the #151 spokeshave that someone is always blathering on about.

BugBear

Jacob":1b1klune said:
It isn't a Bailey type adjuster in the usual sense as found on 99% of steel planes, which is what I meant i.e. with a yoke and lateral adjustment...]?
164Illus.jpg
I think you'll find that very Bailey style wheel is attached to a very Bailey style yoke, which in turn adjusts depth of cut in a very Bailey type manner. Only it's orientation is unusual (due to the bevel-up design). Lie-Nielsen describe it as a "unique overhead Bailey-type blade adjuster", but you still claim it's not a bailey type adjuster. And you still won't admit that you were wrong to suggest that L-N planes have Norris style adjusters because "it looks a bit like one from a distance".

Oh, and these 99% of planes are not steel, they're cast iron (ductile or grey) :roll:

Vann":1b1klune said:
I rest my case Your Honour. :mrgreen:

Jacob has some very good things to contribute, but he also gets things wrong - but will never admit it. So how do you tell the good stuff from the misleading stuff....????? :?:

Best not to take too much notice of him - then it won't be a problem. (hammer)

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• 164Illus.jpg
    164Illus.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 567
I only own one 'posh' bench plane which is a Clifton No4, picked it up on impulse for £180 when axminster stopped selling their products. I have never seen many reviews of them apart from a few people that have had problems. After owning it for six months I'm pleased to say it is an excellent tool. For me the bailey design is spot on so with the addition of the bedrock style frog and a very nice cutting iron I'm reasonably happy with it for the price. And....its British!

I own a veritas shoulder plane and router plane which are brilliant, but their bench planes aren't for me due to the design of the handle and the adjusting mechanism.

Own several new Stanley Sweat Heart planes and all are excellent every bit as good as planes costing MANY times more. Some of the adjusters are a bit of a fiddle but nothing to complain that much about, when you get used to them.

I've got a Clifton 4 and a Stanley sw 4. They cut equally well (and just as well as the LV LA smoother which I've sold on).
The mouth on the Stanley is far easier to adjust than the clumsy bedrock system on the Clifton, and marginally better than the LV.
The conventional blade adjustment on the Clifton is much better than the Norris thingy on the Stanley and similar (but better engineered) on the LV.
So the ideal plane would have Stanley body and Clifton blade adjustment. Maybe Mr Quansheng is listening!

Thanks for your help guys, just thought i'd update you all. I ended up getting both the LN No.4 and also the low angle quangsheng smoother.

Latest posts

Back