New Layout for UKworkshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xy mosian":fcokhkks said:
Why am I required to log in to view a post on a public forum?
xy

You do not need to log in to UKWorkshops to view the forum or individual threads or posts.

You do have to be logged in in order for your identity to be logged before you can post a reply in a thread.

Yes I agree with that, but when I respond to an email telling me of an update to a thread, I am required to login. This is the area I am not sure of as it slows the whole experience down for me.

xy

Apart from having to login on my first visit after the changeover, I've not had to re-login ever since and it was like that under the old software.

Has something gone wrong with your browser cookies perhaps?

Bob

Browser cookies fine thanks. I do not let my browser remember login details on any site. It would be too easy to forget to disallow that on banking.

xy

xy mosian":2s7fs3sq said:
Browser cookies fine thanks. I do not let my browser remember login details on any site. It would be too easy to forget to disallow that on banking.

xy

If your bank website will let you in on a password alone, then you might want to be thinking about not accessing it on line at all :shock:

Bob

xy mosian":1a86yjfx said:
Yes I agree with that, but when I respond to an email telling me of an update to a thread, I am required to login. This is the area I am not sure of as it slows the whole experience down for me.

xy

Try clicking the second option, "View thread" , that should let you view the thread without logging in.
I will flag Charley to have a look at the notification mail settings.

CHJ":1p2j1dl8 said:
Try clicking the second option, "View thread" , that should let you view the thread without logging in.
I will flag Charley to have a look at the notification mail settings.
Thanks CHJ. I had just twigged that one, and yes it works.

Bob, No my bank will not allow access on Password alone, I just prefer to keep as much as possible out of sight of ne'r-do-wells.

xy

RogerS":31s50by1 said:
Please please please move the Board Index back to the left hand side. It makes no sense having it over on the rh side.

Agreed 100%. I know it sounds silly but I am *used* to where it was and could find it with the mouse almost without even looking for it - now I am having to hunt for it every time. Is there a technical reason it's been moved? Most of the other forums I use have the index on the left, BTW

Regards the adverts - I don't really notice them - most websites now have a lot of screen clutter like this and I just don't look at it! Down the side is better than at the top, though - that would make me scroll needlessly which is very irritating. Having said that I have the benefit of using a Mac with a lrge monitor, so can spare some screen real estate for website junk visuals - if I was using a notebook or other device with small screen I'd probably find any ad bar extremely annoying.

In terms of the overall changes to the site - when I first saw the new site I was startled and slightly irritated. I personally would have preferred it to stay as it was. However, aside from the moving of the board index to the wrong place, I've not noticed that anything else is broken, so I'll probably get used to the new look. Again, was there a technical reason for the change?

tekno.mage":1b581lkd said:
RogerS":1b581lkd said:
Please please please move the Board Index back to the left hand side. It makes no sense having it over on the rh side.

Agreed 100%. I know it sounds silly but I am *used* to where it was and could find it with the mouse almost without even looking for it - now I am having to hunt for it every time. Is there a technical reason it's been moved? Most of the other forums I use have the index on the left, BTW

Regards the adverts - I don't really notice them - most websites now have a lot of screen clutter like this and I just don't look at it! Down the side is better than at the top, though - that would make me scroll needlessly which is very irritating. Having said that I have the benefit of using a Mac with a lrge monitor, so can spare some screen real estate for website junk visuals - if I was using a notebook or other device with small screen I'd probably find any ad bar extremely annoying.

In terms of the overall changes to the site - when I first saw the new site I was startled and slightly irritated. I personally would have preferred it to stay as it was. However, aside from the moving of the board index to the wrong place, I've not noticed that anything else is broken, so I'll probably get used to the new look. Again, was there a technical reason for the change?

Agreed - I use a notebook to view the forum most of the time and the screen steeling advert bar is VERY annoying.

One improvement I do welcome is the ability to read the previous thread when replying to PMs. We could always do this when replying to threads but for some reason not PMs
When I am preparing a detailed reply esp on motor problems it is very useful to see exactly how the OP has described his problem.

Bob

Just viewed the forum for the first time on my netbook, which doesn't have AdBlockers installed.

I now see the purpose of the blue band down the side. Ads for loans at >2600% APR...........................nice!

Peter T":1jl3lpp3 said:
Just viewed the forum for the first time on my netbook, which doesn't have AdBlockers installed.

I now see the purpose of the blue band down the side. Ads for loans at >2600% APR...........................nice!

The main purpose for the sidebar will hopefully become clear over the next couple of weeks, when the rest of the updates become live. Obviously there will be space for adverts on it as well as after-all they are what keep the site running. However, I'll be happy to put up a poll as to whether the sidebar should stay or go once all the updates are online.

I have 1366x768 screen on the laptop i use to view this site
and the bar doesn't bother me, I don't like it, it doesn't look nice, it would be better with out it but it in no way hinders the way i use this site.

I like the rest though!

I do visit other forums on my hand held device, the bar would p**s me right off on that, even if i rotated the screen, you need all the width you can get on 3.5"+ screens

As for the clock being there, why?? there is a clock on every PC/Mac, bottom/Top of the screen.

Dibs-h":1919ulqz said:
matt":1919ulqz said:
PhpBB must have a way to recognise mobile devices and therefore adjust the layout as necessary.

I refer MyBB over phpBB but either software allows there owners to edit the core PHP code and doing this wouldn't be hard, its something i plan to do for my site. There are 3 ways to check, none are greatly reliable but put the 3 together and you have a great way of detecting after that you just tell the theme controller to default to the mobile optimised theme.

Back