new internal doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike spark

Reaction score
Hi guys :D , i am going to have new internal doors put in, either pine or oak ones, and i hope you can answer a few questions i have got :? .

First off where is the best place to get new doors from, i have been told Howden's do decent doors so i am curious what you think about them, or can you suggest anywhere else that would be better? Who do you use?

Also what would suggest over pine and oak, oak i guess, but which is better and if dont mind humouring why is it?

Lastly, what is the going rate for hanging internal doors, i am in the south wales area, and i have had one guy tell me it would be £35 - £45 a door. Is that a fair price or a bit high?

Sorry for so many questions and i hope you dont mind answering them all, all advice welcome :D .

Cheers
mike

hi mike, howdens doors are ok. you get what you pay for really. i make a good living out of howdens products. as for the price it sounds ok a bit cheap but i am in the south. try and get a recommended carpenter if you can.

If you are going to go for a Pine door, Wickes doors are of pretty good quality.

£35-£45 to hang one door!? If he's recommended by someone then I wouldn't hesitate at that price. Personally, I would say £50 to hang a single internal door is still cheap. If you want frames fitting also then it's going to be even more. If you have a load of doors that you want hanging all in one go, you will usually find it gets cheaper per door.

Hi Mike, and welcome.

As Roger says, if you intend to paint the doors, there seems little point in spending the money on Oak doors, so go for Pine. I once fitted some beautiful Oak internal doors with nice bevelled edge glass for a customer - went back to do some more work the following week and they'd bloody painted them. :shock: I think they'd spent £150 per door as well.

The fitting rate depends on how many you have. I price it at £50 for one door, 2 doors - £40 each. 5 or more doors - £30 each. I can normally get 5 doors done in a day.

Cheers

Karl

An oak door from Howdens is usually oak veneer over a chipboard core with a thin strip of solid oak on the edges. They are not too bad for quality though.

Jon

Latest posts

Back