New Garden Workshop - Finished at last

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Halo Jones":w4js2ejl said:
Where's the foreman? :lol:
Seems to spend his days snoozing on my favourite armchair now summer's gone :)

Made some proper progress today:

A wagon turned up bright and early this morning, 7:45am to be precise and everything was offloaded by 8:15am. Now I just had to put everything together.

I couldn't have the lads erect the shed as they normally would as there is not enough room for them as they insist on a minimum of at least a foot clear all round and this one is going tight up against the fence. Also I needed to make holes for the electrics and water so I am erecting it myself. Boy are those panels heavy. I ordered 19mm shiplap instead of the standard 12mm and the floor boards are a full inch thick - and wet. The whole shed is pressure treated so should outlast me anyway.

I struggled manoeuvring the panels but by 10:30am I had the floor in place and the back wall, which came in two sections, assembled, so it looked like this:
IMG_5066.JPG

The gable ends weight a ton so I asked a neighbour for help but he was concerned that they might topple and one of us might get hurt so he suggested I wait until my grandson finishes college so there would be three of us.

I had taken the day off work for this so decided to have a go myself and by carefully lowering the heavy panels onto a saw horse so it was pivoted, I was able to swing it close to where it needed to be. It was then a case of pushing and shunting until it was in place. The second one went easier because the first gable end had to negotiate the water pipes. In order to get the panel behind the water pipes I had to lift it a fair bit, so it was a case of cranking it up a little at a time and supporting it on bricks until I could push it back and then reverse the procedure. A couple of photos here might help:
IMG_5068.JPG
IMG_5067.JPG

So this is how I left it this afternoon:
IMG_5069.JPG

I plan to continue on Saturday with the front wall (the heaviest panel of all) and the roof. I am hoping my grandson will be available as I can't budge that front wall at all.

regards

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_5066.JPG
    IMG_5066.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,681
  • IMG_5068.JPG
    IMG_5068.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,681
  • IMG_5067.JPG
    IMG_5067.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,681
  • IMG_5069.JPG
    IMG_5069.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,681
I'm glad it is all coming together - looks like it will be a good space.

As a heads-up - Did you know that as soon as you have water and electric going into an outbuilding then Building Regs need to be informed?

It makes things a bit more tricky in terms of equi-potential bonding (I think that is the phrase!) etc. I'm not an expert but am doing some building stuff myself so have come across this in all the blurb.

Good luck getting it sorted.

H.

You're doing really well with that Brian, look forward to seeing it finished!

Your doing well Brian and tis looking good so far! know how you feel about trying to get shed roofs on.... a few years ago I bought a metal garage which according to the sales brochure could be built by one person and maybe 2 people to fit the roof panels. Well i got the walls up and then following instructions bolted the roof sections together and then the next page said lift onto the walls and get a friend to fit the bolts and its finished! I'm 6'4" 16.5 stone and was very fit at the time and my mate was similar size but we couldn't shift the sodding thing and eventually it took 7 mates from the pub to manoeuvre into position and then we had to drill extra holes as none of them lined up. Hopefully weather will be fine and you can get it weather tight soon.... it will be a very nice place to butcher wood when it finished
Cheers
Brian

At least this roof goes up in four sections and the timer is a bit lighter than the main structure.

Halo Jones":e2hdwmd4 said:
equi-potential bonding

I understand this is not required as it is a single tap on the end of a plastic pipe.

regards

Brian

We got the front wall and roof on yesterday without too much trouble. I had help from my grandson and a friend so there were three of us to lift things into place. This whole shed has gone together really well and I am very pleased with it. If anyone is looking for a timber building then I can thoroughly recommend these people, not only is the shed of a high standard, the customer service was excellent and they delivered on the day they said they would. This is what my workshop looks like now from the outside:
IMG_5071.JPG

What insulation would you guys suggest for this workshop? I plan to line the walls & ceiling with OSB or plywood but would like to insulate it first.

Also there is a ventilation gap at the eaves:
IMG_5072.JPG

What's the best way to deal with this so I am not working in a draughty shop?

regards

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_5071.JPG
    IMG_5071.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,556
  • IMG_5072.JPG
    IMG_5072.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 1,556
Insulating the roof may fill that gap in the process. I'd use Celotex or some other similar insulation board.

Glad to see the workshops built, it looks great and thanks for the recommendation for shed supplier. Unfortunately my own workshop plans mentioned earlier in this thread, will be on hold now until 2016- so I'm sitting here feeling quite jealous at the minute! Can I suggest this company for insulation: http://www.jablite.co.uk/products/show/jabcore-classic we use this stuff at work for insulating our pig buildings. Although standard thicknesses on website are stated as starting from 75mm, I can tell you we do order in the 44mm from them- so maybe you could too?

Thanks Simon, I hope you get a permanent workshop before too long.

Yesterday I started on the roof but it was freezing cold and windy plus it started to rain so I didn't get much done. Inside has been getting absolutely saturated with all the rain we've had and I was anxious to make the place water tight, which I think I have now done. My missus will be pleased as it means I can start moving stuff out of the house, which has become a bit cluttered.

I made a piece from wood to act as a sort of ridge cap before putting the felt on. The problem with this type of building is that the roof panels only ever nearly meet at the ridge leaving a gap, and when felted this area is vulnerable to being punctured. With a wooden ridge cap installed this problem is eliminated.
IMG_5076.jpg
I then got felt strips on the roof joints and ridge so the building is, hopefully, watertight.
IMG_5074.jpg

While sitting here having a lazy late Sunday breakfast I was thinking about how I am going to proceed. I plan to double felt the roof with an underfelt first followed by the finished felt. It will all be glued down rather than nailed. I started to wonder about felt tiles rather than just plain felt, for aesthetics more than function, but I already have a 20m roll of felt which would be wasted if I bought felt tiles. So...

Could I cut the roll of felt that I already have into felt tiles? What sort of job would this be? Has anyone on here ever done such a thing?

regards

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_5076.jpg
    IMG_5076.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 2,128
  • IMG_5074.jpg
    IMG_5074.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2,128
Hi Brian,

I don't think felt would be robust enough if cut into tile size pieces and it would be a messy job fixing them. I think felt from the roll looks good enough on a shed. I would nail the first layer then bond the next two with cold bitumen type adhesive.

John

Well I decided that you are right John, cutting a roll of felt into small tile size pieces would be time consuming, messy and just not worth the effort – so that idea can go in the bin.

I thought I had the building watertight after felting the ridge and joints between the roof panels, but how wrong I was! So on Monday I got the first coat of under felt over the whole roof so I can now say with certainty that it is definitely watertight now:
IMG_5078.jpg

Crawling about on the roof didn't do my old knees any good and I've been paying for it ever since, so the second coat of felt can wait awhile, at least I can continue inside.

With all the rain that has been getting in, the floor is absolutely sodden so I am currently drying it our (slowly). I have a small radiator with a desk fan set on low blowing across the heater to keep the air moving. I think this is going to take about a week to dry the floor :(
IMG_5080.jpg

While I've been pottering about inside the wind has been howling outside but the new workshop feels nice and cosy with no draughts and rock solid, so I am well pleased with it.

regards

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_5078.jpg
    IMG_5078.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,014
  • IMG_5080.jpg
    IMG_5080.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,014
Well it took a whole week to dry the floor but that's behind me now.

There was a single roof truss supplied with the shed which supports the middle so I made two more. They add extra support and also provide some overhead storage:
IMG_5095.jpg

I had a delivery of materials for the floor but need a dry day to continue as I will have to store everything outside while I do the job. Watch this space as I have something interesting for the floor :)
IMG_5094.jpg

I have come up with a solution for the gaps at the eaves. There is a facia board fitted on the outside so I have decided to place some timbers on top of the wall (from the inside) that will meet the facia, a sort of soffit if you like:
IMG_5092.jpg

I cut eight pieces from the 8"x1" that you see in the above photos and pushed each one in place until it met the facia and then struck a pencil line and will trim to that line. I will drill ventilation holes and the boards will then be screwed in place. After that I will install some insect mesh and the job will be done.

So until next time...

regards

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_5095.jpg
    IMG_5095.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,940
  • IMG_5094.jpg
    IMG_5094.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,940
  • IMG_5092.jpg
    IMG_5092.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,940
Those studs look pretty substantial from the inside, how thick was the outside cladding?
Looks really substantial, an ideal workshop or hidey hole! Regards Rodders

Hi Rodders,

The studs are 3x2 scant, all tantalised apart from the bits that I added. Cladding is 19mm rather than the standard 12mm, and is fully 19mm as well and the floor boards are a full 25mm thick. Certainly a substantial and solid shed as you say, an ideal workshop.

I was going to start on the floor today but I really don't feel too well so think I will give it a miss, might start later depends how I feel.

regards

Brian

Yes, a very well built and chunky workshop indeed.
Are you insulating the floor or walls at all? I Hope you feel better for the holidays, now is not the time to be off colour, with all that turkey etc to deal with.
Regards Rodders

Yes I will be insulating the walls and part insulating the floor. I plan to use something like Kingspan/Extratherm. These guys seem to offer the best online price but I have seen some that has been ripped out of an old building. I am trying to find out if they plan on re-using it or disposing of it. If the latter then I will try to get that and save myself a couple of hundred pounds.

Feeling better tonight, thanks

regards

Brian

Not done anything for the past few days (family stuff :)) but have been out there this afternoon for a couple of hours.

The soffit boards (as I'm calling them) have been trimmed and installed. I drilled ventilation holes in the side that will be outside and then screwed them to the top wall plate:
IMG_5097.jpg
IMG_5101.jpg

I then put some insect mesh in place, I stapled it and then run some gaffer tape around the edge. Not sure if this is the correct way as I've never done it before.
IMG_5104.jpg
IMG_5105.jpg

I was going to use my air stapler but it decided to give up the ghost so had to revert to the trusty old Arrow hand stapler - not so easy :(. Then I ran out of staples for that so come to a stop for now.

So until next time.

regards

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_5097.jpg
    IMG_5097.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,752
  • IMG_5101.jpg
    IMG_5101.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,752
  • IMG_5104.jpg
    IMG_5104.jpg