New Garden Workshop - Finished at last

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you don't mind me saying, If you're roof space inside is staying open, and not sealed, then you won't need outside ventilation by drilling the soffit, just as long as there's free air movement.
You mentioned 2 extra "A" frames for timber storage, watch out for any summer heat,(?) making you're stored stock splitting, twisting etc,
Up high, Not a good place for drying or seasoning either.
Regards Rodders

brianhabby":38gd5tso said:
I will be insulating the roof and covering with OSB so the ventilation is for the gap between the insulation and the roof cladding.

regards

Brian

With you, good thinking! you got that sussed out ok!
It'll be a pleasure to be in, whatever time of the year. Regards Rodders

I plan to use Extratherm insulation which is 50mm thick. To ensure an air gap between the insulation and the cladding/roof boards, I am placing some thin spacer strips, cut from scraps, in the corners, where the studding meets the cladding. This will leave me with exactly 50mm for the insulation and prevent it being pushed against the cladding. I hope the photos will explain better:
IMG_5131.jpg
IMG_5132.jpg

I started work on the floor the other day. First I covered the whole floor with a sheet of visqueen followed by hardboard - I want this floor to be completely draught proof for the next bit:
IMG_5125.JPG

I then placed 2 pieces of 3.6mm plywood around the edges of the floor, extending out by approx. 24 inches:
IMG_5127.jpg

2 x 3.6mm = 7.2mm and the thickness of the centre is 7mm so the plywood is just to act as a spacer.

The next stage of the floor was this:
IMG_5130.jpg

The underfloor heating will be covered by 18mm chipboard flooring and you can just see the first piece in place at top left of the above photo.

I plan on being cosy in there :)

regards

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_5125.JPG
    IMG_5125.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,568
  • IMG_5131.jpg
    IMG_5131.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,568
  • IMG_5132.jpg
    IMG_5132.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,568
  • IMG_5127.jpg
    IMG_5127.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,568
  • IMG_5130.jpg
    IMG_5130.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 1,568
It's been a few weeks since my last post. I had seen some insulation that had been ripped out of an old building and have been waiting for the guy who owned it to get back to me to see if I could use it. He eventually said he wanted £100 for it and while it was more than I wanted to pay for knocked about used stuff it still saved me at least the same amount against buying new. So he brought it round on his truck and I set too cutting it to fit.
IMG_5134.JPG

There was some jiggery pockery with having to cut some small pieces but I got it all fitted eventually. I am sat here now awaiting the boards that will finish the job off - see you soon.

regards

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_5134.JPG
    IMG_5134.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,866
I was promised a morning delivery for my plywood and by noon it hadn't arrived so phoned the supplier who told me that one of their drivers had phoned in sick this morning, hence the delay. The wagon turned up just before 1:00pm and my delivery was offloaded within a few minutes. the plywood was on a pallet covered in plastic and cling film.

When I started removing it from the pallet I noticed a bit of mildew/fungus and didn't pay too much attention until a few sheets down - almost the whole lot was mouldy so it had to go back. I was none too pleased, by the time they got back to me it was almost 4:00pm so delivery is now scheduled for tomorrow - a wasted day :(

We'll see what happens in the morning.

regards

Brian

Looking good Brian :D
You're getting there mate, won't be long and you'll be using it properly.

It's looking really good, and a winner at that much insulation for £100!
I don't know if it's the camera angle, but it looks really big on the last pic.
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":2c7ic18y said:
I don't know if it's the camera angle, but it looks really big on the last pic.
:) It's my wide angle lens, distorts somewhat. The shed is 12' x 10' not tiny but still not huge either. I was tidying my existing workshop the other day and looking around, it will be a bit of a struggle to fit everything in this new one, but needs must.

regards

Brian

Some nice clean plywood turned up yesterday at about 8:30am so I was able to set to fixing it in place. They only had 9 sheets so I couldn't finish it but I probably wouldn't have any way. I am expecting the remaining 2 sheets today.
IMG_5136.jpg
What would we do without power tools? I used an air nailer and it made the work so much easier.

regards

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_5136.jpg
    IMG_5136.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,761
I'm having a distinct "looking at the inside of my own coffin" feeling :wink:

But mostly I'm just jealous about a nice large insulated workshop...

sploo":jtpob6tb said:
I'm having a distinct "looking at the inside of my own coffin" feeling :wink:

But mostly I'm just jealous about a nice large insulated workshop...
Hopefully by the time its all painted it will look a lot better.

regards

Brian

Hope you recorded where the timber beams and columns were before the ply went up so you know where you can hang things solidly otherwise it's a right pain! *speaking from experience!

Presh":35jyg3d6 said:
Hope you recorded where the timber beams and columns were before the ply went up so you know where you can hang things solidly otherwise it's a right pain! *speaking from experience!
Oooooh yes! :)

Careful measurements have been taken.

Actually I plan on installing a French cleat all around so that should make hanging things in the future straightforward. Plus one of the reasons for choosing 12mm ply is that I can screw a certain number of things to that also.

regards

Brian

Sorry I've not updated this post for a few weeks but I've been busy with other things and also been on holiday. I finished the boarding and taped over the joints at the end of Feb.
IMG_5141.JPG

It was then time to apply some emulsion paint. I decided to paint it white so I get maximum reflection and it took three coats but now it looks great.
IMG_5142.JPG
IMG_5145.JPG
I also painted the floor with tetrosyl floor paint with an anti slip additive. I had a bit of tile red and a bit of grey but not enough to do the floor in either colour so I mixed them together which resulted in a sort of muddy dusky pink colour! Still it's only the floor and mostly will be covered in sawdust :)

I acquired a new (second hand, but new to me) lathe to replace my old Draper WTL90. It's an Axminster AW1416VS and it arrived before I was really ready for it. It was sat on top of my Workmate and while painting the ceiling & walls I threw a dust cover over it to keep it from getting splashed. However, upon removing the dust sheet I found the previously nice shiny ways were all rusty. I think the moisture I put in the air with the emulsion paint had penetrated the cloth dust sheet and settled on the ways creating the rust. Obviously I was not happy about this but a bit of elbow grease and some wire wool and emery cloth and I managed to fix it. This is what it looked like half way through cleaning:
IMG_5146.JPG
Also I found the centres on the Axminster lathe are five inches higher than My old Draper so the bench I had been using (and really wanted to continue using) was too high. It wasn't simply a matter of modifying the bench though because it was an old shop counter and had glass on three sides and the top so couldn't be easily modified. I decided the easiest solution was to just build a new bench from scratch which is what I've been doing the past few days so I now have a bench the right height.

Just got to sort out the rest of my stuff now. This place is really small and gets untidy very quickly if I'm not careful.

Until next time

regards

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_5141.JPG
    IMG_5141.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,557
  • IMG_5142.JPG
    IMG_5142.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,557
  • IMG_5145.JPG
    IMG_5145.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,557
  • IMG_5146.JPG
    IMG_5146.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,557
It's a nice luxury, I guess you'll just have to be careful with heavy machinery to avoid damaging it. Is your workshop all finished now?

Back